View Poll Results: Which cut of Sin City do you prefer?
Theatrical 3 50.00%
Uncut, Recut, and Extended 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump:
Old 08-28-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Which cut of Sin City do you prefer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I tried watching the Extended cut last night, but I had turned it off in disgust.

For those that don't know, basically, the newer cut separates all of the stories from the movie, and adds more scenes to them. For example, you get the entire story of Nancy Callahan all up front without it being the first and last part of the theatrical cut. Once you are finished watching that segment, you'll get the credits, and then the next segment will start.

First, the goods. I understand how this may be more like a comic book which is more aligned with what Frank Miller intends. Fine, ok, whatever. Also, I also appreciate the extended scenes and find them very much welcomed.

The bads. The problem I have, is with how the movie is arranged. The new cut doesn't play out like a movie anymore. It plays out as a segmented TV show. The Josh Hartnett scene plays as the second segment (which is about 4 minutes long), along with the title scene, and it really feels out of place. Imagine starting a new book at chapter two and you finish that chapter. Then imagine the next thing you do is close the book, and start from the cover. That is how it feels.

As a movie, I'm going to have to go with the theatrical cut. The added scenes were nice, but I feel that they don't have to be there, and I think the theatrical cut gives for a better movie experience. I can't wait to watch this again, but with the theatrical cut.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:01 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

As a movie, I'm going to have to go with the theatrical cut. The added scenes [in the Extended Cut] were nice, but I feel that they don't have to be there, and I think the theatrical cut gives for a better movie experience. I can't wait to watch this again, but with the theatrical cut.

Although I liked the Extended Cut better than you did, I, too, prefer the theatrical release version, albeit narrowly. I bought my copy of the Sin City BD in March but have only watched it once, although I have seen the film many times. I have only watched the Extended Cut on my BD but, thanks to your suggestion, will soon watch the theatrical version again.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+

Old 08-29-2011, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2563 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
The extended cut is really just a curiosity. It doesn't replace the theatrical version.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The extended cut is really just a curiosity. It doesn't replace the theatrical version.

I am inclined to agree. I thought the Extended Cut was a little gimmicky when I saw it on BD and that it was not quite as compelling as the theatrical release. That's why I am looking forward to watching the theatrical version again. Of course, there's no really bad version of Sin City.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 5973 Post(s)
Liked: 5075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Agreed. It was fun to watch once but on repeated viewings, it will always be the theatrical cut.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Interesting. I saw the BD for $10 at Walmart. I may have to bite just to see the extended...and of course, the theatrical is included!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement