Forum Jump:
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
would the toothpaste trick work on repairing a scratched cd / dvd? im watching all these videos online but im not sure if it even works. can someone please confirm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Liked: 12
Old 05-10-2010, 07:23 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have used Pledge to get a DVD to play before. I like it better then tooth paste just make sure you wipe it smooth.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Toothpaste had a mild abrasive in it and I don't think it would be good for CD or DVDs.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by am0baby View Post

would the toothpaste trick work on repairing a scratched cd / dvd? im watching all these videos online but im not sure if it even works. can someone please confirm?

I've heard of this before although I've never tried it. Seems to be legit there are plenty of sites with instructions on how to do it, here's one:

How to Use Toothpaste to Remove Scratches

Toothpaste is a cheap and effective household item that you can use to remove scratches from different things. Toothpaste is most effective at removing scratches on DVDs and CDs, but can also be used on items manufactured from glass. To use toothpaste to remove scratches, you should purchase the regular paste and not the gel. Ideally, the paste should contain baking soda in order to add some grit to the substance. It does not matter which brand you choose and you can certainly buy the generic versions found in retailers.

Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need:
Regular (paste) toothpaste Water Dry cloths

Step 1
Place a small amount of toothpaste at the site of scratches. You will need to rub it in, so start with a moderate amount of toothpaste and add more if necessary.

Step 2
Use a dry cloth to rub the toothpaste into the scratched area. Follow the line of the scratch and make a circular motion with the toothpaste. Continue this process for on all of the areas where there are scratches.

Step3
Rinse away the toothpaste residue with room temperature water once you have finished rubbing the substance on the scratched item. Examine the scratches as you rinse off the toothpaste. If they are still noticeable, you may want to go over them again.

Step4
Dry the scratched item with a clean cloth. If it is a CD, DVD or game disc, you will want to try to play it right away to determine if you successfully removed the scratches.

Google search

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM

Minty fresh with the stripe, oh and unless it's Colgate it just won't work and the ground will open up and swallow you.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:12 PM

Liked: 24
Yeah, toothpaste works, I've used it. But IMHO, Brasso works better on the most horribly scratched discs (unfortunately some discs from the library are in really bad shape and require drastic measures). In both cases it can take a lot of time and "elbow grease" to get any results. And sometimes no help at all.

However, if you're not in a hurry, I'd recommend finding a PC/Console Game store near you that offers polishing services. They usually only charge a $1.99 and it'll be a much better job than anything you can do at home.

If you insist on doing it yourself then start with just Pledge and if you still have trouble, determine the actually scratch that is causing the problem and go after it with Brasso. Don't try going after every scratch on the disc, it's way too much work and you can end up making it worse instead of better. Then clean it off with Pledge and try it again to see if it helped (rinse, wash, repeat as needed).
Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've used it on several occasions and it does work sometimes...and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the scratch, your player, etc.

If the disc is already ruined/unplayable, there is nothing to lose. Except for some toothpaste, I mean.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Much better than toothpaste ('cause I've used it as well as other scratch removers) is ScratchOut! I bought a tube for $5.98 at Wal-Mart and it made an otherwise-unplayable DVD playable again when nothing else had worked. So if you don't want to pay $3 to have a shop scrape off a layer of plastic and buff your DVD mechanically, buy a tube of ScratchOut! It really, really works. It will leave a haze of scratches on the DVD, but that won't affect playability: http://scratch-out.com/so_faqs.php Not sure if it's safe for Blu-Ray; maybe check with the company first.

Also, Meguiars has a number of auto polish products which may work for DVDs. They have one that's formulated for plastics, I believe. You can find some of the products at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, auto stores, etc. I'd first try them on some cheap used DVDs first, or DVDs that you have not been able to fix. Some of them have silicone, which is why some people won't use them for guitar finishes, because the silicone can eventually penetrate the wood. But that's likely not a concern for DVDs: http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307
Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

Also, Meguiars has a number of auto polish products which may work for DVDs. They have one that's formulated for plastics, I believe. You can find some of the products at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, auto stores, etc. I'd first try them on some cheap used DVDs first, or DVDs that you have not been able to fix. Some of them have silicone, which is why some people won't use them for guitar finishes, because the silicone can eventually penetrate the wood. But that's likely not a concern for DVDs: http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307

Car wax! Bought HDDVD that was loose in box and had major chunk scratched like a rug burn and had 2 parts of movie that were fried. Used Meguiars standard car wax and it played normal and the disc actually looked almost normal after. Just wipe it off good and wipe it radially not circular.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 AM

Liked: 124
Steel wool and a wire brush soaked in hydrochloric acid.

Apply tons of pressure and rub in circular motion on both top and bottom.

100% guaranteed to get you a brand-new DVD!*

*Once you buy the replacement.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Much better than toothpaste ('cause I've used it as well as other scratch removers) is ScratchOut! I bought a tube for $5.98 at Wal-Mart and it made an otherwise-unplayable DVD playable again when nothing else had worked. So if you don't want to pay $3 to have a shop scrape off a layer of plastic and buff your DVD mechanically, buy a tube of ScratchOut! It really, really works. It will leave a haze of scratches on the DVD, but that won't affect playability: http://scratch-out.com/so_faqs.php Not sure if it's safe for Blu-Ray; maybe check with the company first.

I bought this guitar scratch remover to polish out some scratches in my guitar's polyurethane finish:

http://guitarscratchremover.com/products.html

I ordered the player's kit that had the pink #1 formula and the blue #2 formula, plus the microfiber cloth. I'm glad I did, because the deeper polishing #2 polish was needed to fully (or nearly fully) polish out the deeper part of the scratches. #1 is used for light scratches and general guitar polish, #2 is used if #1 doesn't seem to quite get it, and then you finish off with #1 again (the kit has 2 jars of #1 and 1 jar of #2). Originally #1 was for acoustics and #2 was for electrics, as the Webpage still seems to indicate, but the instructions with the player's kit said they could both be used on both.

I decided to try it on the DVD I mentioned above that ScratchOut! had fixed while leaving a haze of scratch marks as expected. Wow! Guitar Scratch Remover polished away a huge amount of the haze scratches (I did have to use both #1 and #2), and it takes some elbow grease to rub/polish. I'm going to use this from now on for fixing scratched DVDs. Rubbing in a circular motion is fine. As I suggested above, a Meguiars auto/plastic polish may work just as well, but I don't know, because I've not used it. Guitar Scratch Remover now has no silicone in any of its products, if that's an issue.

I purchased an extra 2-pack of the microfiber cloths, and then saw that Wal-Mart seems to sell the same ones in the auto products department, for about the same price (~$4 for a 2-pack).
Old 06-14-2010, 03:43 PM

I work at a video store that has a disc repair machine. After we use the abrasive wheels we use a polishing disc with a substance the machine manufactorer charges an outrageous price for. We've found that Meguiar's PlastX is the exact same substance. It's marketed for taking out scratches on plastic motorcycle helmrt shields and the like.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:42 PM
KOA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 107
But can you use a DVD to remove plaque from your teeth?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

If you shatter it you can probably use it for a toothpick...

Bobby 

Old 06-14-2010, 08:30 PM

Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

Only Taiyo Yudens with Azo dyes work for that. Memorex, definitely not.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post

I work at a video store that has a disc repair machine. After we use the abrasive wheels we use a polishing disc with a substance the machine manufactorer charges an outrageous price for. We've found that Meguiar's PlastX is the exact same substance. It's marketed for taking out scratches on plastic motorcycle helmrt shields and the like.

I'll give that a whirl on my DVDs instead of using my guitar polish. The only reason I don't use it on a guitar is because it has silicone, and people say NEVER use silicone on a guitar finish:

http://acousticguitarforum.com/f...27&postcount=6
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 750
I've used Nu Finish car polish for years on CDs and DVDs and have had no problems with it. Stubborn scratches sometimes require repeat applications. If you rent battered DVDs from Netflix, it's a must!

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
Old 06-15-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Steel wool and a wire brush soaked in hydrochloric acid.

Apply tons of pressure and rub in circular motion on both top and bottom.

100% guaranteed to get you a brand-new DVD!*

*Once you buy the replacement.

This absolutely works....I saw it on Mythbusters!

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><span>XBox Live ID - AstroTravellin</span></div></div>
Old 06-19-2010, 01:25 PM

I seem to recall a similar thread a couple years ago. At that time a few people were using a product called Plexus that they really liked. Its a plastic cleaner and polish.
Bought a 13oz can over the net and have been using it on every Netflix disk I get.
Seems to work. Havn't had to send a disk back for non operation since.
Cheers!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:00 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked: 4378
Thanks for the tips guy. The scratched disc problem was uppermost in my mind because I had a couple of audiobook CD's from the public library, where else, that hung up yesterday. I fixed the first one by simply carefully cleaning it with a TV and computer screen cleaning solution from Best Buy and a microfiber cloth. The second one required more effort. I ran it through a disc cleaning device that I bought years ago. You put the disc on a turntable and close a lid with a circular cleaning cloth attached to it over the disc. The machine has gears so that the cleaning cloth can be wiped over the surface of the disc while both it and the disc rotate, each in its own axis. I first moistened the cloth with the Best Buy cleaning solvent. That worked but it took awhile. I will investigate the toothpaste and Meguiar's PlastX solutions, too.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
Old 06-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Thanks for the tips guy. The scratched disc problem was uppermost in my mind because I had a couple of audiobook CD's from the public library, where else, that hung up yesterday. I fixed the first one by simply carefully cleaning it with a TV and computer screen cleaning solution from Best Buy and a microfiber cloth. The second one required more effort. I ran it through a disc cleaning device that I bought years ago. You put the disc on a turntable and close a lid with a circular cleaning cloth attached to it over the disc. The machine has gears so that the cleaning cloth can be wiped over the surface of the disc while both it and the disc rotate, each in its own axis. I first moistened the cloth with the Best Buy cleaning solvent. That worked but it took awhile. I will investigate the toothpaste and Meguiar's PlastX solutions, too.

I would never use toothpaste or any polish that made or left scratches on a rental CD or DVD (e.g., library or Netflix). I'd only use something like Meguiars (I assume) or Guitar Scratch Remover that buffed and polished out the problem scratches without leaving a new haze or mess of scratches. That way they can't claim you damaged the disc. Of course, cleaning the disc thoroughly with a mild dish soap and buffing/drying it with a microfiber cloth would be the first thing I do (I find that has worked better - at least on Blu-Ray discs - than my CD turntable cleaner thing with the cleaning spray).
Old 06-20-2010, 06:34 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked: 4378
Quote:

I would never use toothpaste or any polish that made or left scratches on a rental CD or DVD (e.g., library or Netflix). I'd only use something like Meguiars (I assume) or Guitar Scratch Remover that buffed and polished out the problem scratches without leaving a new haze or mess of scratches. That way they can't claim you damaged the disc. Of course, cleaning the disc thoroughly with a mild dish soap and buffing/drying it with a microfiber cloth would be the first thing I do (I find that has worked better - at least on Blu-Ray discs - than my CD turntable cleaner thing with the cleaning spray).

I rent rather than buy most of the BD movies I watch. Most of them have played flawlessly but I have been able play the few that hiccuped at first by cleaning them with a microfiber cloth dampened with computer screen cleaning solvent. Some of the public library discs, though, have been in pretty bad shape and a few of them wouldn't play right, regardless of what I did.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Not sure if I can fix a scratched CD or DVD with toothpaste.

But MacGuyver could!

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 PM

Did anyone try it for themselves yet?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_johnson View Post

Did anyone try it for themselves yet?

I did and it works. But but honestly soon as I can get it to read I make a back up copy of the Disk. Less hassle in the long run.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

I've heard of this before although I've never tried it. Seems to be legit there are plenty of sites with instructions on how to do it, here's one:

How to Use Toothpaste to Remove Scratches

Toothpaste is a cheap and effective household item that you can use to remove scratches from different things. Toothpaste is most effective at removing scratches on DVDs and CDs, but can also be used on items manufactured from glass. To use toothpaste to remove scratches, you should purchase the regular paste and not the gel. Ideally, the paste should contain baking soda in order to add some grit to the substance. It does not matter which brand you choose and you can certainly buy the generic versions found in retailers.

Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need:
Regular (paste) toothpaste Water Dry cloths

Step 1
Place a small amount of toothpaste at the site of scratches. You will need to rub it in, so start with a moderate amount of toothpaste and add more if necessary.

Step 2
Use a dry cloth to rub the toothpaste into the scratched area. Follow the line of the scratch and make a circular motion with the toothpaste. Continue this process for on all of the areas where there are scratches.

Step3
Rinse away the toothpaste residue with room temperature water once you have finished rubbing the substance on the scratched item. Examine the scratches as you rinse off the toothpaste. If they are still noticeable, you may want to go over them again.

Step4
Dry the scratched item with a clean cloth. If it is a CD, DVD or game disc, you will want to try to play it right away to determine if you successfully removed the scratches.

Google search

My wife had a badly scratched CD and I gave the method you posted a try. Cleaned the scratch up and plays like new again. Thanks Airboss.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My wife started doing this a couple years ago with some of her favorite cds. She also added regular glass cleaner as well and it always worked. I always use the glass cleaner. Can't spare the 'paste, my teeth would suffer more...

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 PM

I've had it work. I've had it not work.

One of the easiest things to try.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:18 PM