Forum Jump:
3Likes
post #1 of 85 Old 02-28-2016, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
RCA DTA880 is it decent?

its sold locally so I want to buy it if its decent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 02-28-2016, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased this from Walmart about 2 weeks ago. I have an attic antenna and the unit delivers a good picture and picks up all digital channels within a 75 mile radius. However the recording feature seems to be intermittent. On several occasions I have set it to record to a 64g flash drive and the unit only turns on and does not record. Other times it records and plays back fine. The user guide is pretty slim on detail and I can't seem to find anything online.
post #3 of 85 Old 02-28-2016, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindows View Post
I purchased this from Walmart about 2 weeks ago. I have an attic antenna and the unit delivers a good picture and picks up all digital channels within a 75 mile radius. However the recording feature seems to be intermittent. On several occasions I have set it to record to a 64g flash drive and the unit only turns on and does not record. Other times it records and plays back fine. The user guide is pretty slim on detail and I can't seem to find anything online.
cool maybe it will at least get me channel 8 and 32 .and 30. they come on weak with my tv tuner

post #4 of 85 Old 03-01-2016, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
jwindows .. Found this excellent RCA video tutorial on the RCA DTA880 .. Please tell us how you like the unit. Thanks.

https://rcasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en...TA880-Features
https://rcasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en...TA880-Playback
post #5 of 85 Old 03-04-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
RCA Digital Converter Box with DVR Recording
4.5 stars 27 reviews ratings Q&A By: RCA
Walmart #: 554073401

No mas Walmart states: This Item is no longer available
http://walmart.com/ip/RCA-Digita...rding/46583029

This Item is no longer available
We're unable to show you buying options for this item.

Last edited by LH92037; 03-09-2016 at 01:48 AM.
post #6 of 85 Old 03-06-2016, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i like it... mostly

[quote=LH92037;42049377]jwindows .. Found this excellent RCA video tutorial on the RCA DTA880 .. Please tell us how you like the unit. Thanks.

The tutorials are good and useful, but there is no explanation for the inconsistent recording. I have found the only way to ensure recording is to turn the unit on prior to recoding start.
post #7 of 85 Old 03-06-2016, 12:44 PM

Some users report better recording success by leaving their unit "ON" all the time, 24 / 7. not in "Standby" mode. For unattended recording, just turn your TV off & leave the converter box "ON". Might be worth a try.

Last edited by LH92037; 03-06-2016 at 01:16 PM.
post #8 of 85 Old 03-06-2016, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
For the guy that can't find it at WallMart anymore, the same box is Sunkey SK-903H and it has lots of related boxes re-branded. They all seem to have the same processor inside--there is a thread on the topic. There are other softwares that you might try to load box--the serial port inside on the main board offers a monitor program that can dump or load to the box from USB.
post #9 of 85 Old 03-09-2016, 01:44 AM

For those who are interested, I just noticed that Walmart is slowly restocking
RCA Digital Converter Box with DVR Recording 4.5 stars 27 reviews ratings Q&A
Walmart #: 554073401
New $39.99 Only 5 left!
post #10 of 85 Old 03-13-2016, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought on of these about a week ago. I connected a 1TB Seagate hard drive. It seems to work OK. When I used a 128GB PNY thumb drive with it, there were "skips" in the recording every 30 seconds or so. Switched to the hard drive it is is much better. I have had it not record a couple times. It may have been user error. Haven't used it long enough to be sure yet.

Does anyone know if you can pass the signal through while it is recording so you can watch another channel with the tv's tuner? I can't seem to find in the menu or on the remote how to do that.
post #11 of 85 Old 03-14-2016, 03:19 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by custom1tv View Post
I bought on of these about a week ago. I connected a 1TB Seagate hard drive. It seems to work OK. When I used a 128GB PNY thumb drive with it, there were "skips" in the recording every 30 seconds or so.
Switched to the hard drive it is is much better.
Yes, while some people seem to have luck with thumb drives, most have the "skipping" issue, best to use a USB HDD.

Quote:
I have had it not record a couple times. It may have been user error. Haven't used it long enough to be sure yet.
No I doubt it's you, basically all incarnations of this box have issues with missed recordings. When they work they work nice, unfortunately they don't record 100% of the time. If you need 100% you'd be better served by something like a Tivo or cable company DVR(if you use cable).

Quote:
Does anyone know if you can pass the signal through while it is recording so you can watch another channel with the tv's tuner? I can't seem to find in the menu or on the remote how to do that.
It should, other incarnations of this same basic box do......but most have issues using passthru which is what your describing. It's best to just purchase a $5 RF splitter, install it before your DVR with one leg going to the DVR and the other to your TV.
post #12 of 85 Old 03-19-2016, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the reply jeff

No more cable for me. I bought this the same day I bought an antenna and went to free tv. The last increase on my cable was $20 to take it over $100. We saw this in Walmart and it said recorder on the box. We record Jeopardy everyday and a few other shows. Good enough for me. We may upgrade to the Channel Master+ though.....To get the two tuners and longer schedule.

I think I figured out why it doesn't record at the right time sometimes. One channel I receive has the wrong time displayed. I have no idea why as we are not near a time zone. If I leave it on that channel it thinks that is what time it is and uses that info to record even though it is recording another channel. It's not off an even hour. It's like 73 minutes or something. Weird.

I did the splitter deal. I have he DTA880 connected to the TV with the HDMI and just change the source to view another channel.

Been trying to post over on TVFool for antenna advise, and can't get anyone to approve my membership so I can post.
post #13 of 85 Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Been trying to post over on TVFool for antenna advise, and can't get anyone to approve my membership so I can post.
Just start a new post here under HDTV Technical with your Tvfool report. Lots of help available here.
post #14 of 85 Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just picked up this unit and trying it out with 128gb memory stick.

Can I start watching a recording from the beginning, while it is still recording?
post #15 of 85 Old 08-01-2016, 10:26 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I just recently bought one of these boxes at my local Wal-Mart. So far, a decent box with a few flaws. I basically wanted a DVR to record digital OTA broadcasts since I'm still using a VCR. (TiVo was my first choice, but they lost my interest with their stupid mandatory subscription, which is overpriced to begin with).

Some important things to remember... This box will only record one program at a time and does not allow you to pause/rewind live TV. It will not allow you to watch one recorded program and record another simultaneously. Not a big deal for me. The selling point of the DTA-880 was the HDMI out. The integrated tuner on my Samsung HDTV is complete garbage, and viewing shows through the box via HDMI solves most of my issues. The picture even looks sharper and has a higher contrast compared to the built-in tuner. I can now view the entire picture on every channel since my HDTV only supports screen fit (no overscan) on 1080 resolutions. The A/V outputs continue to work along with the HDMI, so I can still record shows to my VCR and even playback/record the ones that are already DVR'd.

The quality of the DVR recordings is excellent! I can't find a difference between the recordings and the live broadcast. There are no quality settings to change, other than SD channels will allow for more recording time on your USB device. That said, recordings of HD channels are bigger in size and may cause skipping/breakups on certain flash drives due to slower write speeds. Because of this, I recommend a USB powered external hard drive, which will write faster and is cheaper per gigabyte.

There are a few flaws I've noticed with the box, which should be expected for it's $50 price tag.
  • The remote is somewhat bad as the sensor's angle is limited to ~10 degrees. The button layout is abysmal and hard to get used to.
  • Picture wise, there appears to be some horizontal over-modulation in the picture, particularly with contrasting blues and reds, but not real noticeable if you sit far from the TV. (I'm not going be picky about that).
  • The box can recognize and format drives as FAT32 and NTFS. However, formatting through the box appears to make the drive unreadable in Windows. If you want to manage recordings on with your computer, don't format using the box.
  • The menu navigation is a bit confusing at first, but I eventually got the hang of it.
  • I've did a few timed records with the box in standby and have not experienced the intermittent recording as mentioned above.

The one thing I did experience that bothered me was that one channel started periodically breaking up after an hour, even with a signal of 90-100%. The TV itself was not having issues with that particular channel, so hopefully this was just a fluke as weaker stations did not have an issue with breakups. However, I may have to exchange the box for another one if the problem continues or gets worse.

The box also allows you to upgrade the firmware. However, the product page on RCA's site is very sparse and there appears to be no updates listed, so don't hold your breath for future updates and software fixes.

Overall, the RCA DTA-880 is a good DVR for the money. A big step-up from the VCR. We'll see how long it will last.

Newer is not always better.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 08-01-2016 at 10:29 PM.
post #16 of 85 Old 08-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I basically wanted a DVR to record digital OTA broadcasts since I'm still using a VCR. (TiVo was my first choice, but they lost my interest with their stupid mandatory subscription, which is overpriced to begin with).
Take a second look at TiVo.
TiVo stopped requiring the subscription for the Roamio OTA DVR a while ago.
1-time purchase price = $400 at TiVo or Amazon

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #17 of 85 Old 08-02-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Take a second look at TiVo.
TiVo stopped requiring the subscription for the Roamio OTA DVR a while ago.
1-time purchase price = $400 at TiVo or Amazon
When did they do that? I just looked at their site no more than a month ago, and all they were selling was the Bolt.

$400 is a bit expensive. Sure you get more features and better reliability than the RCA DTA880, but I don't see the point of buying it, even if it lasts 10+ years with constant use. The FCC wants stations to convert to ATSC 3.0 within the next few years, and that new standard isn't backwards compatible with the current ATSC 1.0 standard. Basically it's going to be another digital transition, but without a mandatory conversion date. Perhaps TiVo is aware of this and dropped the subscription in order to sell off their unsold stock of Roamio's more quickly.

For $50, the RCA DTA880 suits me well. Even with 45+ channels in my area, I rarely come across the need to record 2 or more shows at once. I just wanted to move into the 21st century and get away from my VCR.

post #18 of 85 Old 08-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Tablo is another well reviewed OTA DVR, here's what I found:

Tablo is about $250 with hard drive, $5/month guide charge (or $150 lifetime subscription), and works with multiple TV's, if they have Roku or Firestick, etc.

Roamio is $400 with lifetime subscription, but you gotta buy their $140 mini unit for additional TVs.

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #19 of 85 Old 08-04-2016, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
Quote:
$400 is a bit expensive. Sure you get more features and better reliability than the RCA DTA880, but I don't see the point of buying it, even if it lasts 10+ years with constant use.
I only responded because you said TiVo was your first choice and you declined it based on outdated pricing information. I have 2 and a mini -- I obviously feel they are worth it.

Each persons situation and tolerances dictate.
Good luck with what you choose.
Don't sweat ATSC 3. There's a lot of hype and little movement.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #20 of 85 Old 08-12-2016, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
There are some videos explaining the various setup and use for this unit!

https://rcasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en...n-Instructions

Orrin - Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster
post #21 of 85 Old 08-12-2016, 06:05 PM

I'm still having issues with reception as stated in my initial post above. Here are some findings that I've recorded.

I was having constant breakups at times on 3 stations whose RF channels are all adjacent to each other. At first I thought the problem was that the box was picking up interference from the adjacent channels, but when I bypassed my splitters, the breakups disappeared. Bypassing splitters helps improve reception, but the signal strength for these channels is more than strong enough, even with the splitters in place. After switching splitters around, I found a combination that removed the breakups from those channels. At first I thought that the problem was a faulty splitter, but later I found that the breakups were affecting two other stations on higher RF channels. I switched out the splitter with another one, but that caused one of the original 3 to start breaking up again. So I reinstalled the splitter that I just removed, and that same channel continued to breakup. (More information on my setup, channels & details about the breakups here, here, and here).

I decided to replace the cable going to the DVR with another one, but that didn't fix anything. (Both coaxial cables rated at RG-6). I then discovered that if I touched the center conductor of the cable going directly to the box, stations started to come in. With one station, if I laid the cable on the ground without touching it, it came in! I tried this with my TV's tuner, but it didn't receive anything. My guess is that the box is somehow using the cable as an antenna, which is causing random signal loss on certain stations. (Much like the old twin lead wire). If the cable is positioned in a certain way, the interference can be filtered out of some frequencies. Again, this only seems to happen if there is a splitter installed.

Any ideas?

post #22 of 85 Old 08-12-2016, 10:56 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

I'm still having issues with reception as stated in my initial post...

Any ideas?

Just a guess... Inferior tuner performance first shows-up worse with OTA reception vs Cable, eh?

In general, how does this product's tuner rank with other DVRs out there? It's been years since I did this, so I'm just tossing this out there - I would especially be careful considering a tuner's performance with any OTA setup vs Cable-only. I suppose it's no different in today's digital-tuner world vs yesteryear's Analog Cable/OTA tuners.

The formula is usually the same... a less-expensive product cuts corners in quality and features all-around.

Download 3.3.18.1Reserved For LinkReserved For LinkVizio Support on Reddit
Reserved For LinkReserved For LinkReserved For LinkVizio's Replies on Reddit
Owners Manual / QS GuideReserved For LinkReserved For LinkReserved For Link
post #23 of 85 Old 08-17-2016, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1910 Post(s)
Liked: 919
I don't have one of these. But I do have an iView and a couple of HomeWorXes, and I believe those boxes use the same tuner as the RCA.

The big problem I've seen is that the tuners are very susceptible to overload. When the tuner is overloaded, it produces RF noise that breaks up weaker stations. This is a big problem with OTA because the "spread" between strong and weak stations can be pretty large. If your signal is strong enough to pull in the weakest stations, it's often strong enough to overload the tuner, and then the weakest stations don't work anyway.

You can sometimes improve things by weakening the input signal with extra splitters. One solution I've used with some success is to buy a "tap;" sort of an unbalanced splitter with (typically) -1dB and -6dB outputs. I hook the -6dB output to my iView or HomeWorX and the -1dB output to my TV. That often works better than an ordinary splitter, but there are still a few stations that break up worse on the STB than on the TV.
post #24 of 85 Old 08-17-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
Just picked up this unit and trying it out with 128gb memory stick.

Can I start watching a recording from the beginning, while it is still recording?
That's called "chase play," and it should work. Just press Play while the box is recording, and it should start playing the recording from the beginning. However, you may find your memory stick can't handle it, especially on HD stations. You may need a traditional hard disk drive for adequate performance.

One weakness of these boxes, however, is that you can't play a different recording while you're recording something. You can only play the file you're recording at the moment.

Interestingly, there is one other thing you can do, that I haven't seen anywhere else: if the station you're recording has more than one subchannel, you can watch other subchannels of that station live while recording one subchannel, even though the box only has one tuner. (But if you try to change to another station, naturally, you'll get a warning box saying you have to stop recording first.)
post #25 of 85 Old 08-17-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
On several occasions I have set it to record to a 64g flash drive and the unit only turns on and does not record. Other times it records and plays back fine.
I've seen the same thing happen with my iView. Occasionally it doesn't seem to boot up quickly enough.

Besides leaving the box on, I thought of another trick that might work: schedule a 1-minute recording that ends at the same time the desired recording starts. The box should turn on for the 1-minute recording, and then be ready for the desired recording - whether the 1-minute recording works or not!
post #26 of 85 Old 08-17-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The big problem I've seen is that the tuners are very susceptible to overload. When the tuner is overloaded, it produces RF noise that breaks up weaker stations. This is a big problem with OTA because the "spread" between strong and weak stations can be pretty large. If your signal is strong enough to pull in the weakest stations, it's often strong enough to overload the tuner, and then the weakest stations don't work anyway.

You can sometimes improve things by weakening the input signal with extra splitters. One solution I've used with some success is to buy a "tap;" sort of an unbalanced splitter with (typically) -1dB and -6dB outputs. I hook the -6dB output to my iView or HomeWorX and the -1dB output to my TV. That often works better than an ordinary splitter, but there are still a few stations that break up worse on the STB than on the TV.
The weaker stations are not an issue for me, only the stronger, high powered ones broadcasting on UHF. The RCA does attempt to decode an extremely low powered station in my area that many viewers can't receive within miles of the transmitter.

Strangely, reception is better without the splitters in place.

The cable going to the box acts as an antenna, which degrades the reception or creates the overload? When disconnected from the antenna, some of the stronger stations attempt to come in if I touch the center connector on the other end of the cable. (Doesn't happen with my other TV's). I have the cable laying on the floor in a way that prevents the breakups on the affected channels. I'm now afraid to move that cable in fear that the breakups to return. (FYI, I'm using RG6 coax).

Quote:
That's called "chase play," and it should work. Just press Play while the box is recording, and it should start playing the recording from the beginning. However, you may find your memory stick can't handle it, especially on HD stations. You may need a traditional hard disk drive for adequate performance.

One weakness of these boxes, however, is that you can't play a different recording while you're recording something. You can only play the file you're recording at the moment.

Interestingly, there is one other thing you can do, that I haven't seen anywhere else: if the station you're recording has more than one subchannel, you can watch other subchannels of that station live while recording one subchannel, even though the box only has one tuner. (But if you try to change to another station, naturally, you'll get a warning box saying you have to stop recording first.)
Chase play doesn't work on the RCA DTA880. Also note that the RCA doesn't allow pausing of a live broadcast. It's a somewhat dumbed down clone of the iView/Homeworx DVRs'.

Basically these DVR's are a digital VCR. I rarely need to record two or more shows at once, so I have no problem with this. I can, however, record one thing on the DVR and watch something else on my TV's tuner at the same time.

Quote:
I've seen the same thing happen with my iView. Occasionally it doesn't seem to boot up quickly enough.

Besides leaving the box on, I thought of another trick that might work: schedule a 1-minute recording that ends at the same time the desired recording starts. The box should turn on for the 1-minute recording, and then be ready for the desired recording - whether the 1-minute recording works or not!
So far, I haven't had one fail on the RCA. (Only when I accidentally scheduled incorrectly). Do make sure that your schedules are set to record and not to view.

post #27 of 85 Old 08-17-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The weaker stations are not an issue for me, only the stronger, high powered ones broadcasting on UHF. The RCA does attempt to decode an extremely low powered station in my area that many viewers can't receive within miles of the transmitter.

Strangely, reception is better without the splitters in place.
That is a bit of a puzzler. If reception is better without splitters, the problem could be the opposite of what I've experienced with my STBs. Is there a way you could strengthen the signal a bit more, such as a low-noise preamp? Also, could the problem be multipath? What kind of antenna did you say you were using?

Quote:
The cable going to the box acts as an antenna, which degrades the reception or creates the overload? When disconnected from the antenna, some of the stronger stations attempt to come in if I touch the center connector on the other end of the cable. (Doesn't happen with my other TV's). I have the cable laying on the floor in a way that prevents the breakups on the affected channels. I'm now afraid to move that cable in fear that the breakups to return. (FYI, I'm using RG6 coax).
Coax should never act as an antenna unless it's defective. But if you touch the center connector, you become the antenna! Not a very good one, of course, but coupled with your observation about the RCA trying to decode an extremely weak station, it sounds like its tuner can be quite sensitive, so a "human antenna" may work with the RCA but not with your TVs.

If the cable has a defect, that could produce internal reflections which could cause a variety of reception problems. If merely moving the cable affects reception, I'd replace it.
Quote:
Chase play doesn't work on the RCA DTA880. Also note that the RCA doesn't allow pausing of a live broadcast. It's a somewhat dumbed down clone of the iView/Homeworx DVRs.
No chase play or time-shifting? That is interesting, albeit a bit disappointing. I'll have to update my MStar STB comparison chart with that info. Thanks!

I'll have to ask about chase play/time-shifting on the eMatic thread. I just naively assumed all the clones supported it.

Here's a question you might be able to answer: if you go to the menu, select System, then select Information, what does your RCA say? For example, a HomeWorX HW180 might say:
Model:HW180STB
SW Version:Jan 21 2016-03:52:18-V11.0
HW Version:MLG7802-ATSC-V11
post #28 of 85 Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
That is a bit of a puzzler. If reception is better without splitters, the problem could be the opposite of what I've experienced with my STBs. Is there a way you could strengthen the signal a bit more, such as a low-noise preamp? Also, could the problem be multipath? What kind of antenna did you say you were using?
Hmmm.... I just switched out a splitter for another since it was weakening some stations. (No breakups). After the switch, 1 station (so far) on the RCA DVR started being flaky again. (I tried not to disturb it's cable). Maybe the splitter does help? I'll have to try the direct antenna connection again when a particular station starts to break up. I thought a direct connection was the fix, but that may have been before I realize the cable was acting as an antenna.

I'm too close to the towers to use a preamp. However, the way the picture breaks up gives me the impression that there's defiantly an overload problem somewhere.

Multipath isn't an issue with the affected channels. (Which would cause the signal strength meter to sporadically bounce all over the place). Three other TV's connected to the same antenna in different rooms don't have an issue with the affected channels. The picture may breakup even when the signal strength is in the 90's. (Tends to come & go depending on the weather/time of day).

Antenna is a Radio Shack VU-190XR.

Quote:
Coax should never act as an antenna unless it's defective. But if you touch the center connector, you become the antenna! Not a very good one, of course, but coupled with your observation about the RCA trying to decode an extremely weak station, it sounds like its tuner can be quite sensitive, so a "human antenna" may work with the RCA but not with your TVs.

If the cable has a defect, that could produce internal reflections which could cause a variety of reception problems. If merely moving the cable affects reception, I'd replace it.
I know the cheaper RG59 cable is prone to this, but it shouldn't happen with a short run of RG6. The same cable was used with my Zenith DTT-901 and I never had an issue with reception. I tried two other RG6 cables (one being very heavy) and both didn't fix the problem.

The box was also receiving one channel when the cable disconnected from the antenna and laying on the floor in a particular way!

Quote:
Here's a question you might be able to answer: if you go to the menu, select System, then select Information, what does your RCA say? For example, a HomeWorX HW180 might say:
Model:HW180STB
SW Version:Jan 21 2016-03:52:18-V11.0
HW Version:MLG7802-ATSC-V11
Model: DTA880
SW Version: V052NoH
HW Version: KLF7802-ATSC-08 A4

post #29 of 85 Old 08-17-2016, 11:16 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

...The way the picture breaks up gives me the impression
that there's definitely an overload problem somewhere...

Do you have a Radio Shark or similar inline, variable attenuation device?

Download 3.3.18.1Reserved For LinkReserved For LinkVizio Support on Reddit
Reserved For LinkReserved For LinkReserved For LinkVizio's Replies on Reddit
Owners Manual / QS GuideReserved For LinkReserved For LinkReserved For Link
post #30 of 85 Old 08-18-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I'm too close to the towers to use a preamp.

Antenna is a Radio Shack VU-190XR.
I guess I should have asked how close you are? That antenna looks a lot like my Channel Master 3020. Those antennas provide a good clean signal without much multipath.

I'm 30 miles out, though, so I do use a Winegard Boost preamp. I need it for our weakest stations but without some attenuation, it does overload the iView and HomeWorX. (My other devices handle the signal fine without overloading.)
Quote:
I know the cheaper RG59 cable is prone to this, but it shouldn't happen with a short run of RG6. I tried two other RG6 cables (one being very heavy) and both didn't fix the problem.
I was thinking more along the lines of a kink, or other damage to the shielding, but since you already tried other cables, I'd say your cable probably isn't the problem.
Quote:
The box was also receiving one channel when the cable disconnected from the antenna and laying on the floor in a particular way!
Sounds like you're very close to the towers. Even the exposed end of a cable can act as a weak antenna if you're really close.

If that's the case, you can pick up stray signal anywhere along the line. So I'd probably try to minimize the number of connections; perhaps antenna-->splitter-->attenuator-->RCA. Make sure all the connections are good and tight to minimize stray signal pickup.

Ideally, I'd use a 4-, 6-, or 8-way splitter, depending on how many devices I had to feed, and probably a variable attenuator so I could easily dial in the signal strength that worked best.
Quote:
Model: DTA880
SW Version: V052NoH
HW Version: KLF7802-ATSC-08 A4
Thanks! The "7802" identifies the SoC. Most of these boxes use either a 7816 or a 7802; the 7802 seems more common in newer ones.

The 7816 and 7802 firmware are very similar, but there are some differences. In particular, 7802 firmware generally supports closed captions when playing a recording, while 7816 firmware generally doesn't. So I'd guess the RCA will display CCs during playback?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page