Forum Jump:
Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched the whole online-shashki forum and got a bunch of archived Tivo Series 2 threads but nothing addressing OTA HDTV broadcasts since the June cut off for analog. I also browsed the first couple of pages of this sub forum and didn't see anything.

So my question is, I'm seeing a bunch of Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner boxes coming up for sale, etc.

For me who does NOT have Cable or Satellite and just OTA HD using either a converter box (DishTV Pal, Zenith DT-900, Apex 250, etc.) aren't these boxes useless for OTA HDTV broadcasts?

The tuners in them are all analog and I'm having trouble seeing any benefit in them.

So what usability is there for the Tivo Series 2 OTA boxes now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The CECB converter boxes are designed only for people that were using an antenna to receive OTA analog signal on a TV set that does not have a digital tuner.
The convert all of the OTA HD digital broadcasts to meet NTSC SD analog standards
The Tivo Series 2 does not support OTA digital signals.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I understand so what are the valid uses of a Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner DVR now post the June switch to Digital TV?

Is my assumption that it's a useless box except as a tunerless digital vcr that records to a hard drive instead of tape?

Or are there some work arounds that allow it to actually retain some of it's grid based functionality even though it would rely on an outside tuner source (like a CECB or TV Tuner, etc). Meaning it would still get it's grid and show data from Tivo but when you want to record a show it would have to look to an INPUT device (like a connected CECB or TV output, etc. plugged into the back of the device) or are Tivo Series 2 had programmed to try to tune in that analog station (which no longer exists) to record a program that no longer is broadcast.

My hunch is that those selling these Tivo Series 2 DVR's are trying to pull the wool over the eyes of unsuspecting shoppers because they know they darn well don't work post transition to digital.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 PM

Only high powered OTA analog channels were required to switch to digital. The switchover had nothing to do with cable channels.
Since almost all cable comapanies are still providing NTSC analog RF directly and since most cable and satellite boxes support NTSC analog ouput using RF or S-video the Tivo 2 can still be used.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstroman View Post

I understand so what are the valid uses of a Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner DVR now post the June switch to Digital TV?

Is my assumption that it's a useless box except as a tunerless digital vcr that records to a hard drive instead of tape?

Although it may not be around that much longer, there is still basic cable. The latest Series2 models will record two analog channels simultaneously from basic cable, while you watch a third, previously recorded basic cable program. The Series2 also has composite and s-video input to record from a cable/satellite box.

Quote:

Or are there some work arounds that allow it to actually retain some of it's grid based functionality even though it would rely on an outside tuner source (like a CECB or TV Tuner, etc). Meaning it would still get it's grid and show data from Tivo but when you want to record a show it would have to look to an INPUT device (like a connected CECB or TV output, etc. plugged into the back of the device) or are Tivo Series 2 had programmed to try to tune in that analog station (which no longer exists) to record a program that no longer is broadcast.

During TiVo setup, you select whether you are using analog cable, a cable (or satellite) set-top box, or both. The current Series2 model can record two analog channels from basic cable using the built-in tuners, or it can record one analog channel from basic cable while also recording another channel from a cable/satellite set-top box. The TiVo integrates the analog and set-top box lineups into a single guide and keeps track of which programs require which source. The TiVo seamlessly switches between the built-in analog tuner and the external set-top box as you change channels.

Quote:

My hunch is that those selling these Tivo Series 2 DVR's are trying to pull the wool over the eyes of unsuspecting shoppers because they know they darn well don't work post transition to digital.

Only the older TiVo Series2 models support CECBs. The newer Series2 models (649 and 542) never supported OTA and they don't support CECBs. These models were advertised as cable and satellite recorders only. FCC mandate required that ATSC tuners be included in all devices sold with OTA support after a certain date, so TiVo introduced and marketed their newer Series2 DVRs without that feature so they could continue selling them after the FCC deadline. The older TiVo Series2 models support CECBs in the same way that they support cable/satellite STBs.

At this point, there's no reason to buy any TiVo except the TivoHD, imo. On July 1, Tivo launched an upgrade program to give Series2 owners a $50-$100 discount toward the TivoHD. TiVo has also emailed TiVo Series2 users that are paying $6.95/mo with an offer to upgrade to a TivoHD for $99. For three weeks in June, TiVo ran a "Father's day promotion" where they offered a TivoHD with lifetime service (no fees) for $499.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks bfdtv. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I wonder if there should be a sticky for Tivo Series 2 DVR's post June transition that outlines what they can and can't do now and also the programs that you mentioned.

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:23 PM

If an older Series 2 supports CECBs then just means that it will accept the SD NTSC RF analog output from the CECB just as if it is a cable analog signal which meets exactly the same SD NTSC RF analog standard.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:17 PM

I actually have an older Series 2. I bought it for my niece that uses basic cable in her dorm. But I felt like testing it out on my OTA signal here in Austin. i activated it, connected to it, and it installed the latest software. Then I went to the guided setup and it actually asks you if you have a digital converter connected to it. You use the IR to control the digital converter. Basically, run the guided setup on your digital converter ahead of time, then after you do, connect it to your tivo and use the IR cables to control it. it tests everything in the guided setup (as far as being able to change channels). I have to tell you. Makes me want to buy more tivo's. Im definitely buying some lifetime Series 2's off of ebay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement