Forum Jump:
18Likes
post #1 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Getting Directv 4k working?

How do I get 4k working on new tv with Directv?
I chatted Directv for half an hour then on the phone for 45 mins. (They couldn't even answer what it means to have a Directv certified 4k tv).
I just got the 55E6 so its on Directv certified list whatever that means.
I have the newest HD DVR genie thing.
Directv changed it so more plans get the 4k channels. From everything I can see my plan has 4k.

From what I gather online, if the tv is directv certified you don't need the extra 4k genie box.
Am I right?

When I try to go the 4k channel it says something like its not available in that format.

The only thing I can think of is most to all of my HDMI cables are 5-6 years old.
I would think maybe I need a 2.0 cable? If that is even a think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 03:18 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 4663 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaloth View Post
How do I get 4k working on new tv with Directv?
I chatted Directv for half an hour then on the phone for 45 mins. (They couldn't even answer what it means to have a Directv certified 4k tv).
I just got the 55E6 so its on Directv certified list whatever that means.
I have the newest HD DVR genie thing.
Directv changed it so more plans get the 4k channels. From everything I can see my plan has 4k.

From what I gather online, if the tv is directv certified you don't need the extra 4k genie box.
Am I right?

When I try to go the 4k channel it says something like its not available in that format.

The only thing I can think of is most to all of my HDMI cables are 5-6 years old.
I would think maybe I need a 2.0 cable? If that is even a think.

I believe they only have one 4K channel, except for on demand.. So if you are expecting 4K with all the channels, that won't happen. It also states "Professional installation and 4K account authorization are also required." So you may need a tech to come out.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
post #3 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I believe they only have one 4K channel, except for on demand.. So if you are expecting 4K with all the channels, that won't happen. It also states "Professional installation and 4K account authorization are also required." So you may need a tech to come out.
Yeah they have one channel that has stuff most of the time. They have a PPV channel for movies, but now they also have a live channel for sports. Has stuff here and there.

I'm not really sure what they would install. As far as I know have all the equipment.

post #4 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Wrong forum but.... D* has 3 channels. One ppv, one special events, and one free uhd programming.
Are you using the RVU feature of your display? You need to either use that or get a c61k.

Please provide more info on your set up.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #5 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Here's the skinny regarding Directv and 4K. Three 4K channels. 104, 105 and 106. 104 is free to all packages Select and above. 105 is PPV. Channel 106 is live and recorded programming including sports (right now NBA games) and concerts. You must have either a TV equipped with RVU or the C61K client which most installers prefer even if you do have the RVU. New customers will get the Genie HR-54. Many customers will get some kind of message stating "4K signal unavailable" for whatever reason. The problem according to Directv is with the C61K software and they are working on it. They replaced my first and second C61K before the third one finally worked. FWIW, the 4K PQ is awesome.
post #6 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Here's the skinny regarding Directv and 4K. Three 4K channels. 104, 105 and 106. 104 is free to all packages Select and above. 105 is PPV. Channel 106 is live and recorded programming including sports (right now NBA games) and concerts. You must have either a TV equipped with RVU or the C61K client which most installers prefer even if you do have the RVU. New customers will get the Genie HR-54. Many customers will get some kind of message stating "4K signal unavailable" for whatever reason. The problem according to Directv is with the C61K software and they are working on it. They replaced my first and second C61K before the third one finally worked. FWIW, the 4K PQ is awesome.
I'm presuming 4K D*TV in an RVU or Outside of one will require an IPTV modem bridge or do they use the TV Android IPTV platform in the Sony RVU and Samsung Tizen or whatever Samsung RVU ?

Does the D*TV C61K have an IPTV modem bridge or no or does it use the HR-54 for that ?

Hardly seems worth it for 3 channels when Netflix and Amazon already have some 4K up to HDR for next to nothing for my subscriptions over 1080p Netflix and nothing more on Amazon or 4K You tube outside of IPTV 4K rentals and purchases at Amazon or Vudu or Ultra 4K and so on .

I have a lot of 4K eye candy up to HDR on my media drives mostly freebies though

Last edited by synccoil; 02-03-2017 at 06:06 PM.
post #7 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 PM

4K from Directv costs nothing extra, at least the equipment costs nothing. In other words, yes it is worth getting 4K from Directv.
synccoil likes this.
post #8 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
4K from Directv costs nothing extra, at least the equipment costs nothing. In other words, yes it is worth getting 4K from Directv.
I was told the upgraded C61K was more than the standard 4 room install wired C55 in here and so was the 4K authorization and set up (at least ) and with only maybe three channels is there anthing worth watching that is not pay per view .

I can get the 4K up to HDR on the web in my Sony TV on the Android platform at maybe higher bandwidth than D*TV 4K IPTV . IOW why is it with it beyond what I have with the select plus D*TV channel package and Netflix and Amazon 4K up to HDR .
post #9 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 PM

If you call Directv for new service and tell them you own a 4K TV or ask for a free upgrade (available once every 2 years) they will install a HR54 Genie, a C61K satellite which is the only satellite that will pass through 4K, and up to 2 more regular C61 satellites all for free with no lease fee. As far as what may be worth watching, that is personal preference. Channel 104 shows a lot of nature programming which is both educational and stunning in PQ (Flight of the Butterflies, Life on the Reef).The HR54 will record and play back 4K. I just recorded on channel 106 "Garth Brooks from Yankee Stadium 2015). If you own a 4K TV then why turn down something that is free? Limited programming yes, but free is free.
post #10 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
If you call Directv for new service and tell them you own a 4K TV or ask for a free upgrade (available once every 2 years) they will install a HR54 Genie, a C61K satellite which is the only satellite that will pass through 4K, and up to 2 more regular C61 satellites all for free with no lease fee. As far as what may be worth watching, that is personal preference. Channel 104 shows a lot of nature programming which is both educational and stunning in PQ (Flight of the Butterflies, Life on the Reef).The HR54 will record and play back 4K. I just recorded on channel 106 "Garth Brooks from Yankee Stadium 2015). If you own a 4K TV then why turn down something that is free? Limited programming yes, but free is free.
I have an HR 54 Genie and 3 C55 ( I think ) from a June 2016 new customer install but all that doesn't sound like anthing I can't get online in 4K or 1080p and not all that interesting to me, they won't come out here again and do any of that 4K upgrade free .
but I'm glad you enjoy your 4K D*TV anyway .

MY TB x7 all total PC and usb TV hdds record and playback up to 4K HDR it ain't hard for a HDD .
tubaloth likes this.

Last edited by synccoil; 02-03-2017 at 08:10 PM.
post #11 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
If you own a 4K TV then why turn down something that is free? Limited programming yes, but free is free.
Oddly enough, free is not always free. I and my wife would have to pay the $3/month "whole home" fee, give up our two autonomous non-Genie DVR receivers, and lose the backlogs of recorded programs we have. In return, we'd get essentially nothing of any use to us, since our other sources for 4k programming have things we actually want to watch.
synccoil likes this.

Greg Lee
post #12 of 79 Old 02-03-2017, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
If you own a 4K TV then why turn down something that is free? Limited programming yes, but free is free.
Many reasons:

1) there really isn't too much 4K content on DirecTV
2) you waste your "free" 4K upgrade when there is new hardware coming out
3) the HR54 can't output 4K, only the C61K or RVU can
4) connected to #3, that means you have to move the HR54 to a 1080P TV and use the C61K or RVU on your main TV which is a lesser experience on both counts (you can use a splitter and have both on the main TV, but see #5 in that case
5) depending on your configuration and your setup, its possible that your bill might go up by $7/mo for an extra outlet fee... and don't forget about other possible "hidden fees" that DirecTV likes to hit you with
6) using your free upgrade generally locks you into a new 2yr contract
7) if you use your free upgrade, you generally loose your ability to negotiate a better price for a quite a while (since you'll be under contract)
8) if you go under contract, you'll have to pay for the new 4K equipment instead of get it for free

Best to wait a bit for the new hardware imo....
post #13 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
Quote:
Many reasons:

1) there really isn't too much 4K content on DirecTV
2) you waste your "free" 4K upgrade when there is new hardware coming out
3) the HR54 can't output 4K, only the C61K or RVU can
4) connected to #3, that means you have to move the HR54 to a 1080P TV and use the C61K or RVU on your main TV which is a lesser experience on both counts (you can use a splitter and have both on the main TV, but see #5 in that case
5) depending on your configuration and your setup, its possible that your bill might go up by $7/mo for an extra outlet fee... and don't forget about other possible "hidden fees" that DirecTV likes to hit you with
6) using your free upgrade generally locks you into a new 2yr contract
7) if you use your free upgrade, you generally loose your ability to negotiate a better price for a quite a while (since you'll be under contract)
8) if you go under contract, you'll have to pay for the new 4K equipment instead of get it for free

Best to wait a bit for the new hardware imo....
Any articles or links about new 4K hardware? ETA?
post #14 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Soon.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #15 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. I can't get a DirecTV customer service person to explain this at all.
DirecTV does not explain this very well to there customers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I upgraded my Directv box last year to HR54 knowing I was going to buy a 4k tv "soon".

I have chatted and called a couple of times to Directv CS people.
The first set of customer service people said I needed a DTV 4k ready TV AND need another mini 4k box.
Another CS person after realizing I had a DTV 4k ready TV tried to send some signal down to my box and reboot it, but that didn't work. I thought maybe it was my old HDMI cable, so I went out bought a new one and still nothing.
Chatting with a guy this morning.
He said they have to come out and install a satellite cable directly to my TV. That the HR54 can't output 4k. After going back and forth still confused, he says that I would have to pay $7 more a month for the "extra receiver" which is my Tv. Yes I guess I'm not paying anymore for the channels just for the equipment. He also said to get it installed I would have to pay a one time fee of $68.

After that chat I was thinking about this more and realized all they are doing is setting up your whole home system. Your 4k TV has the equipment inside so they set it up as another device in the whole home system. That the HR54 would be hooked up to another TV.

The problem is I only use ONE TV. And as of right now from what I have gathered there is no way to get 4k through DirecTV on just one TV. (Not sure if I can have both 4k cable setup and the HR54 connected to the same tv).

I guess 4k still has a long ways to come.

But yes watching 4k The Grand Tour and some of the YouTube 4k content is amazing.

Last edited by tubaloth; 02-04-2017 at 09:30 AM.
post #16 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post

Kinda dumb looking imo since its not normal stackable equipment, but its going to be a headless server. There is a whole thread about it over on dbstalk:

http://dbstalk.com/community/ind...17-100.223544/
post #17 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 10:41 AM

WE know terrestrial RF broadcasters and Sat /CATV retransmission providers are behind the technology curve with 4K and HDR outside of ATSC 3.0 standards that may just remain optional broadcaster standards alongside ATSC 2.0 mandates for some time .

There is no incentive or business case or enough hires content scale for them to catch up anytime soon .

If ATSC 3.0 hires is mandated by regulation at some point way out there there has to be more 4K TV receivers and broad market scale hires content if that all happens since it requires additional TV transmitters and RF spectrum in addition to HDTV broadcasting transmitters and RF spectrum .

My thinking is hires ATSC 3.0 will probably be optional for each broadcast outlet and cable channel for a good while yet .

Maybe 4K up to HDR HDR will be more plausible on Direct TV and so on with an IPTV hires channel or up to hires channel package in the broadband areas .

Maybe someone can clarify this for me, I'm under the impression 4K on DirecTV is IPTV like some VOD but with a hires IPTV modem bridge vis a vis an upgraded 4K room client or the RVU apps at Samsung and Sony and not coming out the bird transponders .

OTOH I'm not in the businesses so there are others that may have a more valid perspective on all this broad market scale 4K hires here noting I like 4K and HDR here when I can get it or play my hires eye candy media drive .

Last edited by synccoil; 02-04-2017 at 02:34 PM.
post #18 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Quote:

Kinda dumb looking imo since its not normal stackable equipment, but its going to be a headless server. There is a whole thread about it over on dbstalk:

http://dbstalk.com/community/ind...17-100.223544/
Kinda dumb looking and this sends tv signals wirelessly? Seems like a recipe to compress the quality even more and no hdmi output!?
post #19 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 11:07 AM

This may be the reason why DirecTV is trying to push people into their streaming service. AT&T has said they want to get out of dealing with equipment, dishes, etc, and instead shift their customers to all streaming within 10 years. Streaming 4K is much easier and less expensive than via satellite.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
post #20 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 11:19 AM

Directv does not have a 4K DVR so they designed the C61K mini to send the 4K signal to your 4K TV. Their next DVR ( probably called the HR 17) will pass thru 4K and I believe it is now in Beta testing. Supposedly it will have double digit tuners and a larger hard drive. Time will tell if the rumor comes to fruition. Is 4K broadcast TV in the future? Only if it's profitable.

Last edited by andy sullivan; 02-04-2017 at 11:24 AM.
post #21 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote edited,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaloth View Post
Wow. I can't get a DirecTV customer service person to explain this at all.
DirecTV does not explain this very well to their customers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I upgraded my Directv box last year to HR54 knowing I was going to buy a 4k tv "soon".

I have chatted and called a couple of times to Directv CS people.
The first set of customer service people said I needed a DTV 4k ready TV AND need another mini 4k box.

But yes watching 4k The Grand Tour and some of the YouTube 4k content is amazing.
Quote:
Edited : DirecTV does not explain this 4K very well to their customers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Right there was no mention of it when I told the order CSR on the phone I owned a 4K HDR TV with a Directv thing in it .

The installer that put in my HR 54 Genie whole house new customer 4 room install in late June 2016 did not not want any part of a change order to add 4K or the Sony TV RVU app.

OTOH I'm sure at some point AT&T will fix that and make sure the techs are trained well and offer the product in the field and have the stuff on all the trucks if they can monetize it

The D*TV installer said they only had a few installers locally that can do that so its HDTV here on D*TV and considering they have next to nothing in 4K anyway that's fine for now, we all have other ways to get a lot more of what we can in hires

Quote:

In the sense of an installed 4K TV receiver base and broad market scale hires 4K TV content I would say yes .

OTOH IPTV in the broad band areas should accommodate 4K TV channel packages very well if they use the Netflix Direct connect model noting Netflix 4K up to HDR is much more reliable & stable than Amazon hires video from the AWS servers making the usual CDN choke point hops on the web .

Only one 4K HDR TV w/ it's own 5.1 in here in my sig below & the exceptional Samy 64f8500 1080p plasma in my sig out front that the family watches way more then I do along with 2 2013 Sony and LG 1080p LED/LCD and another 2012 1080p.

Family came in here to watch some 4K and 4K HDR eye candy I have on my media drives last night on my 2015 Sony XBR and liked it real well .

I offered to buy them a 65" 4K HDR Sony X850D or Samsung KS 8000 HDR LCD set for the front last night from unencumbered funds parked in the platinum balance acct's but they said the 64f8500 plasma is fine along with the other TV's.

OTOH I may way more than likely have taken that offer if the scenario was reversed in a minute .

We'll see what happens when I upgrade to a 2017 LG or Sony OLED or not as likely a Sony Z9D megawatt LCD FALD in here in 2017 or not unlikely wait until the 2018 tick tock progression and the next gen LGD OLED panels in the LG and presumably Sony OLED TV sets plus HDMI 2.x, active HDR, maybe HFR and so on.

I'm more interested in the next GEN OLED panel and the other outside of HFR .

I'm not going to be HFR gaming on a TV in here and decent 4K/24p and 4K/30p up to HDR content is fine with me in my retirement age and upscaled 1080p /1080i to 4K SDR and wider color from decent content ain't bad at all on this Sony either.

The 64f8500 PDP ain't going anywhere outside of at most another room here anyway, same with this Sony in my sig .

Last edited by synccoil; 02-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #22 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Directv does not have a 4K DVR so they designed the C61K mini to send the 4K signal to your 4K TV. Their next DVR ( probably called the HR 17) will pass thru 4K and I believe it is now in Beta testing. Supposedly it will have double digit tuners and a larger hard drive. Time will tell if the rumor comes to fruition. Is 4K broadcast TV in the future? Only if it's profitable.
The new DVR is the HS17 and it doesn't pass through 4K. In fact, it doesn't output anything since its completely headless. Bad Idea.
post #23 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 PM

The merger with AT&T is becoming a disaster. Looks like their streaming service is having issues too. If reports are true, they are now streaming at 560p @ 30fps and calling it HD, because they are having so many buffering issues using 720p.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
post #24 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Kinda dumb looking and this sends tv signals wirelessly? Seems like a recipe to compress the quality even more and no hdmi output!?
It has wireless, but you will need the C61K Genie Clients. This will just replace the HR54 and not have a video output. You'll HAVE to watch through a client.
post #25 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
It has wireless, but you will need the C61K Genie Clients. This will just replace the HR54 and not have a video output. You'll HAVE to watch through a client.
Sounds like a good way to nickel and dime customers with added lease costs.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
post #26 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a good way to nickel and dime customers with added lease costs.
EXACTLY! However, there is some speculation that you won't get charged an outlet fee for the HS17, only for the clients. But then again, this is DirecTV, the same company who charges you for WHDVR .
post #27 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
The merger with AT&T is becoming a disaster. Looks like their streaming service is having issues too. If reports are true, they are now streaming at 560p @ 30fps and calling it HD, because they are having so many buffering issues using 720p.
I never heard those reports, and I'm sure they're not true, judging from my reception of DirecTV since 2007. Which for many HD channels, when upconverted to 4k, is excellent, and is just as good as it has ever been.

However, the long term prospects for continued quality picture from DirecTV are rather dim, due to the ATT acquisition, since reportedly, ATT plans eventually to get out of the satellite TV business altogether.

Greg Lee
post #28 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I never heard those reports, and I'm sure they're not true, judging from my reception of DirecTV since 2007. Which for many HD channels, when upconverted to 4k, is excellent, and is just as good as it has ever been.

However, the long term prospects for continued quality picture from DirecTV are rather dim, due to the ATT acquisition, since reportedly, ATT plans eventually to get out of the satellite TV business altogether.
DirecTV Now Streaming TV Service Launches Tomorrow

DirecTV will not disappear. It will become a streaming service. Cable tv will not disappear. It will also become a streaming service. Eventually, you will launch it from an Roku, ATV, Fire TV, etc. There will be no hardware to lease from your provider. Something goes wrong, you are on your own.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
post #29 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:

My ATT/D*TV service started here in June 2016 with a 4 rm. whole house HR54 Genie DVR system and wired C51 -100 room clients ..

FWIW I just streamed some various 1080p programming on this PC from the D*TV channel guide url with a variable data burst throughput up to 19.6 Mbps consistently once it ramped up briefly and a consistent time interval mean and average throughput of 8.2 -11.2 Mbps which should be more than sufficient for stable 720p/ 1080p considering the highest much more efficient Netflix 1080p eyefinity VBR encode with 5.1 audio overhead minus net overhead is maybe 5.4 1080p HD - 6.8 Mbps super HD 1080p HEVC IPTV stream now so the math works fine with up to the minute Netflix Eyefinity HEVC 1080p encoding at up to twice the efficiency of older formats and noting a normal 1080p h.264 5.8 Mbps format is fine for quality 1080P but maybe not Vudu HDX which rivals a Blu Ray disk on a good player .

OTOH for IPTV only D*TV channel packages or VOD outside of this D*TV web url channel guide linked to my Sattelite D*TV account I can't comment on all that noting that D*TV altogether on the web here at the channel guide url is clunky and often very slow to acquire the program compared to Netflix and Amazon or Hulu PLus on a PC or in the Android TV platform in my Sony HDR TV or on a latest of Roku 2 media player which is usually significantly slower than TV Android .

OTOH ATT - D*TV should have plenty of full 1080p web streaming capacity within thier ISP infrastructure in the broadband areas if they were to use use modern HEVC encoding/ compression formats and a direct connect construct like Netflix has with Netflix servers at the major ISP server farm facilities without the usual CDN hop choke points on the web .

The usual CDN choke point hops on the net may be more likely causing any D*TV web streaming 1080p /720p throughput and or VBR issues than anything else just like it does out of AWS at Amazon Prime Video here as opposed to always rock solid no buffer up to 4K HDR HEVC at Netflix on the direct connect route outside of the net CDN choke point hops .

I have seen 1080p HDR on Amazon video out of AWS here because of all that CDN hop business when the VBR dips down to a 1080p HDR throughput that doesn't happen at Netflix up to HEVC 4K HDR VBR direct connect here .

Last edited by synccoil; 02-04-2017 at 01:57 PM.
post #30 of 79 Old 02-04-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synccoil View Post
My ATT/D*TV service started here in June 2016 with a 4 rm. whole house HR54 Genie DVR system and wired C51 -100 room clients ..

FWIW I just streamed some various 1080p programming on this PC from the D*TV channel guide url with a variable data burst throughput up to 19.6 Mbps consistently once it ramped up briefly and a consistent time interval mean and average throughput of 8.2 -11.2 Mbps which should be more than sufficient for stable 720p/ 1080p considering the highest much more efficient Netflix 1080p eyefinity VBR encode with 5.1 audio overhead minus net overhead is maybe 5.4 1080p HD - 6.8 Mbps super HD 1080p HEVC IPTV stream now so the math works fine with up to the minute Netflix Eyefinity HEVC 1080p encoding at up to twice the efficiency of older formats and noting a normal 1080p h.264 5.8 Mbps format is fine for quality 1080P but maybe not Vudu HDX which rivals a Blu Ray disk on a good player .

OTOH for IPTV only D*TV channel packages or VOD outside of this D*TV web url channel guide linked to my Sattelite D*TV account I can't comment on all that noting that D*TV altogether on the web here at the channel guide url is clunky and often very slow to acquire the program compared to Netflix and Amazon or Hulu PLus on a PC or in the Android TV platform in my Sony HDR TV or on a latest of Roku 2 media player which is usually significantly slower than TV Android .

OTOH ATT - D*TV should have plenty of full 1080p web streaming capacity within thier ISP infrastructure in the broadband areas if they were to use use modern HEVC encoding/ compression formats and a direct connect construct like Netflix has with Netflix servers at the major ISP server farm facilities without the usual CDN hop choke points on the web .

The usual CDN choke point hops on the net may be more likely causing any D*TV web streaming 1080p /720p throughput and or VBR issues than anything else just like it does out of AWS at Amazon Prime Video here as opposed to always rock solid no buffer up to 4K HDR HEVC at Netflix on the direct connect route outside of the net CDN choke point hops .

I have seen 1080p HDR on Amazon video out of AWS here because of all that CDN hop business when the VBR dips down to a 1080p HDR throughput that doesn't happen at Netflix up to HEVC 4K HDR VBR direct connect here .
Here is my experience. Watching ESPN, through the WatchESPN app connected to my DirecTV account produces a great picture. Watching the same game via the DirecTV Now streaming service produces a much softer image with a lot of buffering. That's why I dumped it. This also occurred with other channels too. Watching TBS directly from the TBS app linked to my account, produces a much better picture than going through DirecTV Now. DirecTV Now produces a worse image that PS Vue which is only at 720p.
EF9500 likes this.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General