OLED Technology and Flat Panels General > Does the magic remote work as a universal?
adcampo's Avatar adcampo 03:22 PM 04-11-2015
Currently I'm using a Harmony 650 to control my pioneer elite receiver, plasma and Fios DVR. Will the magic remote be able to control the receiver and dvr?

Kaldaien's Avatar Kaldaien 07:00 PM 04-11-2015
I assume you mean the LG Magic Remote? It doesn't operate RF / Bluetooth devices (aside from the TV itself). That can be an issue with a very small handful of devices that a Harmony remote would be able to control. Luckily, that's a non-issue for you, because your Harmony remote is IR only.

The remote control works very strangely, as best I can tell it actually communicates with the television to figure out the IR signal to send out to peripherals and it never learns anything itself. I know this because the TV has a built-in on-screen remote control for all of the devices you tell the TV about. You can push a button on this on-screen remote, but it won't do anything unless your magic remote is pointed at said device. This is in contrast to Samsung's equivalent system, my F8500 has a built-in IR transmitter on the TV itself.
SledgeHammer's Avatar SledgeHammer 12:47 PM 04-12-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldaien View Post
I assume you mean the LG Magic Remote? It doesn't operate RF / Bluetooth devices (aside from the TV itself). That can be an issue with a very small handful of devices that a Harmony remote would be able to control. Luckily, that's a non-issue for you, because your Harmony remote is IR only.

The remote control works very strangely, as best I can tell it actually communicates with the television to figure out the IR signal to send out to peripherals and it never learns anything itself. I know this because the TV has a built-in on-screen remote control for all of the devices you tell the TV about. You can push a button on this on-screen remote, but it won't do anything unless your magic remote is pointed at said device. This is in contrast to Samsung's equivalent system, my F8500 has a built-in IR transmitter on the TV itself.
What does the magic remote do exactly? From the description it seems like you can randomly wave it around and it magically figures out what you mean.
Kaldaien's Avatar Kaldaien 01:07 PM 04-12-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
What does the magic remote do exactly? From the description it seems like you can randomly wave it around and it magically figures out what you mean.
Well, yeah. If I had to describe anything that was "magic" about it, it would be that. It's basically a mouse that doesn't require a flat surface, and it works better than mice I was using in the 90s

Panasonic and Samsung's smart remotes have a pretty awkward touchpad that gets the job done, but is by no means a precision instrument or something you want to interact with any more than you actually have to. This thing, though, is amazing. You can operate a mouse cursor on screen with remarkable precision just by tilting your hand. It's definitely not the gimmicky sort of tilt motion I've experienced on cell phones or even the Nintendo Wii, I've done all sorts of crazy things to see what it takes to make it lose tracking and I can't seem to do it.

The little scroll wheel in the center's some brilliant icing on the cake. It's actually a real shame that LG's created such a marvelous input device, yet has next to no apps for its smart TV platform It works amazing with the built-in browser, but eventually the lack of a keyboard becomes an annoying bottleneck.
NintendoManiac64's Avatar NintendoManiac64 01:23 AM 04-13-2015
Quote:
It's definitely not the gimmicky sort of tilt motion I've experienced on cell phones or even the Nintendo Wii
Contrary to popular belief, the Wii Remote was 2 or 3 seperate technologies - an IR pointer (works great for the non-HD resolution it works at), an accelerometor (works fine if used as intended, can be crappy if used for things a gyroscope should do but obviously that wasn't available for the first few years), and a gyroscope (works fine, though some software insist on constantly recalibrating).

Simply put, I'd say the magic remote is a higher-resolution version of the Wii Remote's IR pointer.
Kaldaien's Avatar Kaldaien 01:42 AM 04-13-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, the Wii Remote was 2 or 3 seperate technologies - an IR pointer (works great for the non-HD resolution it works at), an accelerometor (works fine if used as intended, can be crappy if used for things a gyroscope should do but obviously that wasn't available for the first few years), and a gyroscope (works fine, though some software insist on constantly recalibrating).

Simply put, I'd say the magic remote is a higher-resolution version of the Wii Remote's IR pointer.
I wouldn't say that. Because it doesn't rely on IR tracking of any sort. It's got a gyroscope inside. It works as a pointing device if you take it into a different room altogether
adcampo's Avatar adcampo 09:00 AM 04-13-2015
Quote:
I wouldn't say that. Because it doesn't rely on IR tracking of any sort. It's got a gyroscope inside. It works as a pointing device if you take it into a different room altogether
Thanks for the input about the remote. Does it work well for DVR and receiver volume control? From the screen shots I saw on LG's site, it looks like you have to bring up a virtual on screen remote to control the DVR? Seems like a pain?

Is July still the current rumor Webos 2.0 update for the 9300?
Kaldaien's Avatar Kaldaien 10:05 AM 04-13-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by adcampo View Post
Thanks for the input about the remote. Does it work well for DVR and receiver volume control? From the screen shots I saw on LG's site, it looks like you have to bring up a virtual on screen remote to control the DVR? Seems like a pain?

Is July still the current rumor Webos 2.0 update for the 9300?
Receiver volume control's a non-issue. There's an actual volume up/down button on the remote. Controlling a DVR's a bit of a chore though, you get a few rudimentary controls such as up/down/left/right and OK but anything more complicated than may require you to pop up the on-screen remote. I've been able to do some fast forward/rewind using the scroll wheel, but it's hit or miss what the scroll wheel is going to do from device to device.

Overall, you're going to want to stick with your Harmony. I only use the magic remote when I need to change a TV setting, it needs more buttons to be useful as a universal remote (and last year's magic remote is even worse).
NintendoManiac64's Avatar NintendoManiac64 01:32 PM 04-13-2015
Quote:
I'm aware of that, but the actual end result feels very similar.
adcampo's Avatar adcampo 03:29 AM 04-21-2015
Is the remote programmable for macro's?
Up
View Full Version