Forum Jump:
1Likes
  • 1 Post By FadedMaster
Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'd like to know exactly how this works. I called them and I think I got a definite answer but I'd just like to confirm this. As I'm aware they make 3 trips to 'fix' the problem and if the problem cannot be fixed then they issue a replacement. Here's where my question comes. If the original TV you bought is discontinued, which chances are it is by the time you need to use your warranty, and you need to get a replacement TV, do they replace it with another TV that has similar specs? Or do they give you a write up of the original amount you paid for the TV to spend towards another TV at Best Buy? Even if the TV you own lets say was $1500 when you bought it, dropped down to $1000 before it was deemed as discontinued - will you get $1500 credit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Typically they will give you an allowance equal to the price of a new set with similar size and features as the old one.

Steve S.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not to be discouraging but you may be in for a surprise. Several years back my TV could not be repaired and I had the BB warranty. The written terms stated that I could pick any TV equal in price or request a gift card for the original purchase amount. What BB tried to do was give me a TV of equal spec. The TV of similar spec they would allow me to take home was an Insignia, I purchased a Sony. I asked about the written policy, I was told that there were new terms. Hours later I left with a gift card for the original purchase price after making myself loud enough for most others nearby to hear and confronting the manager with the written terms in my hand.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12none View Post

Not to be discouraging but you may be in for a surprise. Several years back my TV could not be repaired and I had the BB warranty. The written terms stated that I could pick any TV equal in price or request a gift card for the original purchase amount. What BB tried to do was give me a TV of equal spec. The TV of similar spec they would allow me to take home was an Insignia, I purchased a Sony. I asked about the written policy, I was told that there were new terms. Hours later I left with a gift card for the original purchase price after making myself loud enough for most others nearby to hear and confronting the manager with the written terms in my hand.

Oh wow, luckily you speak with authority - most people take the punishment and quiver out instead of speaking on the offensive side for what's actually right. I'm going to have to check my written terms. If you said you needed to replace your TV several years back then I may have that new written policy warranty as I just bought my TV this time two summers ago.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel your pain as I also had a problem there.
It got fixed but only after much yelling.

From now on I tend to avoid!! any purchases at Worst Buy!!

DIY beats store purchased.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post

I feel your pain as I also had a problem there.
It got fixed but only after much yelling.

From now on I tend to avoid!! any purchases at Worst Buy!!

No reason to "yell". It does help though when others around you hear you tell the manager that you don't appreciate a bait and switch in the warranty terms and you begin to read them off and finish with something similar to "but I guess just because it's in writing it really doesn't mean anything". Also hold up the yellow pamphlet with the terms in it so others are sure to see it.

Since that incident, I have not made one purchase in store. Three internet orders though with direct ship to home.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM

Liked: 11
I work for Geek Squad. It's not three trips. And it's not a value equal to the original purchase price.

This is how it works...

If the TV cannot be fixed (ie, the part is no longer available) it will be exchanged.

If there are three part replacements 30 days apart from one another, upon the fourth, it will be exchanged.

If the part is delayed for about 15 days from the order date (incorrect part shipped does not count), then that'll usually get it exchanged.

And of course there's always the company's discretion. Which usually comes down to the whole, if you've given us the chance to fix it, and it's been a month or somethin', and due to whatever complications, it still isn't fixed... most repair managers will exchange it out.

The set is exchanged for a comparable unit. If you decide to upgrade, then you pay the difference. This also consumes the plan, so the Black Tie protection plan is used up and all you have on the new TV is the manufacturer's warranty with the option to purchase another Black Tie plan.

http://geeksquad.com/uploadedFil...conditions.pdf
drbveb88 likes this.

Smile. :)
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedMaster View Post

I work for Geek Squad. It's not three trips. And it's not a value equal to the original purchase price.

This is how it works...

If the TV cannot be fixed (ie, the part is no longer available) it will be exchanged.

If there are three part replacements 30 days apart from one another, upon the fourth, it will be exchanged.

If the part is delayed for about 15 days from the order date (incorrect part shipped does not count), then that'll usually get it exchanged.

And of course there's always the company's discretion. Which usually comes down to the whole, if you've given us the chance to fix it, and it's been a month or somethin', and due to whatever complications, it still isn't fixed... most repair managers will exchange it out.

The set is exchanged for a comparable unit. If you decide to upgrade, then you pay the difference. This also consumes the plan, so the Black Tie protection plan is used up and all you have on the new TV is the manufacturer's warranty with the option to purchase another Black Tie plan.

http://geeksquad.com/uploadedFil...conditions.pdf

I purchased an lcd set on September 15th and three days later back it went and at the store they wanted me to ship it to the Manufacturer.

Ok.

I yelled a bit but then decided whats the point????
I took my lcd set and put it back in my SUV.
I went to a local TV News station and asked for a reporter that I know.
I gave a run down on the problem and reporter and cameragirl went with me back to the store.

I hauled the lcd out of my suv(right at the entrance) and again asked for the Store Manager and five minutes later as I again was hearing that I had to ship my set to the Manufacturer the reporter walks in and asks about the tv warranty.

Yep!! The Manager finished telling me that the shipping to Manufacturer was going to be done by them and to please pick out an equivalent value set

From then on I shop Staples, Walmart, Kmart, Target, Amazon, Parts Express, etc. for regular purchases.

That was September 2010.
Dumb me got convinced by my Son to lineup for Black Friday 2010 at WB.
There was a secret sale for a Toshiba laptop at 178 dollars so we printed it out and showed it but got told all out? All out of BF vouchers??

Hows that work?? that being all out?? we were FIRST! in the Black Friday line.
Well they made my Son cry thinking He was not going to get to buy any laptop( no Toshiba vouchers equals no purchase).

So I noticed the reporters van outside the store as we were leaving and explained the situation and marched back in.

Yeah my Son got his Toshiba laptop at last but only due to the reporter being there

So next year even for Black Friday I am lining up at either Target, Wallmart or Staples.

Why do I line up for Black Friday?

I.e. Toshiba laptop 178 versus 1500 to 2000(Liverpool and Palacio de Hierro are expensive around 16,000 to 21, 000 pesos)

PS3 300 dollars versus 700 dollars at Soriana(7500 pesos)

LCD 600 dollars versus 30,000 pesos (2,800 dollars)

I was first in line at CC in 2006, then first in line at Worst Buy every year until they swapped out the Store Manager for the "person" whos there now.

They have nothing I want to buy and neither are they the best.
Not setting foot inside Worst Buy again.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 PM

FadedMaster,

I'm confused. You state that a TV is replaced by a "comparable" unit. Does "comparable" mean replacing a Sony with an Insigna, just because both are 120hz TV's? This is not a comparable exchange. Or would BB replace a Sony with a Sony? So much depends on ones interpretation of " comparable".
Old 07-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Where I work "comparable set" means the repair dept. will try to find whatever current set is most comparable in size and features and weight is given to the normal purchase price of the original set. A set will be suggested to the customer, but if they don't want the suggested set they will be given the normal price of the suggested set as an allowance toward whatever set they choose. If they choose a more expensive set they pay the difference, but if they choose a cheaper one they are not refunded the difference.

In practice the customer will come in with an authorization code from the repair dept, we call the repair dept. to get the amount of the allowance for the replacement set.
The replacement allowance may not necessarily be the full price paid for the original set but with the downward trend in prices every year it's invariably enough to get a set that's at least as good as and usually better than the original. Unless the customer puts their allowance toward a much more expensive set (i.e. they're allowed $1k and put it toward a 2.5k set) the coverage will carry over to the new set. This means that if they have a 5 year plan they have 5 years of coverage no matter how many sets have to be replaced.

I've seen some interesting things happen as a result of the "comparable set" provision.

For example for a couple of years we sold a rather mediocre 50" Vizio 720p plasma that came with a separate subwoofer and rear surround speakers. A customer with protection plan had one die and it wasn't repairable. At the time we no longer carried any set that came with the extra speakers so the customer was given a new Panasonic 50" 720p set and an entry level Panasonic 5.1 home theater in a box at no charge.
Another lady originally purchased a 40" Magnavox 720 lcd. 2 years later it crapped out.
In that two years prices of new sets had come down so much that her allowance was enough to get a free 46" 1080p Sony.

Steve S.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Unless the customer puts their allowance toward a much more expensive set (i.e. they're allowed $1k and put it toward a 2.5k set) the coverage will carry over to the new set. This means that if they have a 5 year plan they have 5 years of coverage no matter how many sets have to be replaced.

Once upon a time it worked this way at my local store. The new way things work are if you require a replacement the plan is exhausted.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I purchased an lcd set on September 15th and three days later back it went and at the store they wanted me to ship it to the Manufacturer.

Ok.

I yelled a bit but then decided whats the point????
I took my lcd set and put it back in my SUV.
I went to a local TV News station and asked for a reporter that I know.
I gave a run down on the problem and reporter and cameragirl went with me back to the store.

I hauled the lcd out of my suv(right at the entrance) and again asked for the Store Manager and five minutes later as I again was hearing that I had to ship my set to the Manufacturer the reporter walks in and asks about the tv warranty.

Yep!! The Manager finished telling me that the shipping to Manufacturer was going to be done by them and to please pick out an equivalent value set

From then on I shop Staples, Walmart, Kmart, Target, Amazon, Parts Express, etc. for regular purchases.

That was September 2010.
Dumb me got convinced by my Son to lineup for Black Friday 2010 at WB.
There was a secret sale for a Toshiba laptop at 178 dollars so we printed it out and showed it but got told all out? All out of BF vouchers??

Hows that work?? that being all out?? we were FIRST! in the Black Friday line.
Well they made my Son cry thinking He was not going to get to buy any laptop( no Toshiba vouchers equals no purchase).

So I noticed the reporters van outside the store as we were leaving and explained the situation and marched back in.

Yeah my Son got his Toshiba laptop at last but only due to the reporter being there

So next year even for Black Friday I am lining up at either Target, Wallmart or Staples.

Why do I line up for Black Friday?

I.e. Toshiba laptop 178 versus 1500 to 2000(Liverpool and Palacio de Hierro are expensive around 16,000 to 21, 000 pesos)

PS3 300 dollars versus 700 dollars at Soriana(7500 pesos)

LCD 600 dollars versus 30,000 pesos (2,800 dollars)

I was first in line at CC in 2006, then first in line at Worst Buy every year until they swapped out the Store Manager for the "person" whos there now.

They have nothing I want to buy and neither are they the best.
Not setting foot inside Worst Buy again.

Fascinating story. I've returned things within the 30 days to BB and have never been questioned as to why and given a choice of my money back or exchange for something else. I also had them match a competitors price twice within my 60 day period which is typically against their policy of only matching once. I didn't go there and yell at anybody though.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12none View Post

Once upon a time it worked this way at my local store. The new way things work are if you require a replacement the plan is exhausted.

Yeah, have never had to have anything replaced yet but that seems to be standard procedure on most extended warranties now days when a product is replaced or reimbursed. You do get the manufacturers warranty though and the option to purchase another extended warranty.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Filice View Post

FadedMaster,

I'm confused. You state that a TV is replaced by a "comparable" unit. Does "comparable" mean replacing a Sony with an Insigna, just because both are 120hz TV's? This is not a comparable exchange. Or would BB replace a Sony with a Sony? So much depends on ones interpretation of " comparable".

There is nothing in the Terms & Conditions that says it has to be the same brand. However, most stores will go feature by feature, and try to find the most comparable in the same brand, unless you don't want the same brand anymore. The way Steve described it is pretty close to the way it is done in most Best Buy stores.

@Russell: I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with Best Buy. I can tell you that the experiences you've described are not standard practice. There is a 30 day, no questions, return policy. Now of course they might ask why just so they're not throwing a defective TV out as an Open Item, but they aren't supposed to refuse it unless you abused it. And, Geek Squad services under manufacturer's warranty. I do warranty work all the time... even if the client doesn't have a Black Tie Protection Plan. I'm not sure why they refused to take the TV back. Like I said, what you experienced, is not standard and shouldn't have happened.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:22 PM

I don't want to skate too close to the forum rules (may have already, and for that I sincerely apologize), but at the store where I work the Protection Plan still carries over to replacement sets. We are a major nationwide retailer, not a local store and not BB and not restricted to the sale of electronics.

Steve S.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
I don't want to skate too close to the forum rules (may have already, and for that I sincerely apologize), but at the store where I work the Protection Plan still carries over to replacement sets. We are a major nationwide retailer, not a local store and not BB and not restricted to the sale of electronics.
With BB as well but only during the first year
Old 07-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Is there a spot for rules across the entire site?

Also, I'm assuming the rule your talking about is discussing where to purchase a TV. Which I hope I haven't crossed that line nor gotten too close. I've tried to remain pretty neutral. Competition is healthy afterall.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedMaster View Post

There is nothing in the Terms & Conditions that says it has to be the same brand. However, most stores will go feature by feature, and try to find the most comparable in the same brand, unless you don't want the same brand anymore. The way Steve described it is pretty close to the way it is done in most Best Buy stores.

@Russell: I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with Best Buy. I can tell you that the experiences you've described are not standard practice. There is a 30 day, no questions, return policy. Now of course they might ask why just so they're not throwing a defective TV out as an Open Item, but they aren't supposed to refuse it unless you abused it. And, Geek Squad services under manufacturer's warranty. I do warranty work all the time... even if the client doesn't have a Black Tie Protection Plan. I'm not sure why they refused to take the TV back. Like I said, what you experienced, is not standard and shouldn't have happened.

I know! and a few days after the tv incident I looked and found some BB corporate emails and sent an email and gave the reporters bonafides also.

The result was BB Corporate gave that store manager a pink slip.

I said hey! new Manager at BB so everythings fine for Black Friday at BB!

We lined up at BB on Sunday and I had my first inkling that things were still problematic at BB when the staff introduced me to the new store manager for BB and the very first words were " dont you have a tent to be inside of?"

All the staff at BB treated me real well but the problem was the store manager and since Corporate replaced a bad guy with a bad guy I just gave up on the BB store.

Anywho.

After the reporter helped us out at BB on BF I got a sermon about the fact that I never learn.

I told the reporter that next year I am going to be first in line at some other store instead of year after year of first in line at BB.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know! and a few days after the tv incident I looked and found some BB corporate emails and sent an email and gave the reporters bonafides also.

The result was BB Corporate gave that store manager a pink slip.

I said hey! new Manager at BB so everythings fine for Black Friday at BB!

We lined up at BB on Sunday and I had my first inkling that things were still problematic at BB when the staff introduced me to the new store manager for BB and the very first words were " dont you have a tent to be inside of?"

All the staff at BB treated me real well but the problem was the store manager and since Corporate replaced a bad guy with a bad guy I just gave up on the BB store.

Anywho.

After the reporter helped us out at BB on BF I got a sermon about the fact that I never learn.

I told the reporter that next year I am going to be first in line at some other store instead of year after year of first in line at BB.

Curiosity has got the best of me. Which BB is this store you speak of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement