HDTV Programming > CMT Channel has the classic Dukes Of Hazzard in HD
Hans Gruber's Avatar Hans Gruber 08:44 PM 01-17-2015
I was watching TV today and to my surprise they converted the Dukes Of Hazzard reruns to HD. I guess back in the 70's they shot the show on 35MM or something that could be turned into HD. If anybody has the CMT channel in HD, take a look at see what you think. I wonder if any of the old TV classics were shot with film That can be converted to 16x9 and HDTV. They have it all the way back to season 1 in 1979 in HDTV.

bruin95's Avatar bruin95 09:58 PM 01-17-2015
Pretty much anything that was shot on film could be presented in HD. TCM just had an HD presentation of "The Great Train Robbery" that was shot in 1903.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff 06:50 AM 01-18-2015
Nice, I'd guess shows that were shot outside or on location like Dukes Of Hazzard may have a good chance of being shot on HD, unfortunately most sitcoms or shot in front of a live audience type of shows were shot on video tape with very SD video cameras, no way to really make that mess look HD
IMDb does show Dukes was shot on 35mm film, I wonder if there was ever a chart showing all or at least the most popular TV shows and what format they were shot on?? would be interesting to look at.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0078607/...ef_=tt_dt_spec
ozark's Avatar ozark 02:59 PM 01-18-2015
If you can watch Hogan's Heroes in HD, very nice also. Daisy Duke in HD.
Hans Gruber's Avatar Hans Gruber 03:06 PM 01-18-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark View Post
If you can watch Hogan's Heroes in HD, very nice also. Daisy Duke in HD.
Daisy Duke is like Wonder Woman in the late 70's. It makes for great TV.
bruin95's Avatar bruin95 07:15 PM 01-18-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Nice, I'd guess shows that were shot outside or on location like Dukes Of Hazzard may have a good chance of being shot on HD, unfortunately most sitcoms or shot in front of a live audience type of shows were shot on video tape with very SD video cameras, no way to really make that mess look HD
IMDb does show Dukes was shot on 35mm film, I wonder if there was ever a chart showing all or at least the most popular TV shows and what format they were shot on?? would be interesting to look at.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0078607/...ef_=tt_dt_spec

It's pretty easy to tell between film and videotape.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff 07:48 AM 01-19-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post
It's pretty easy to tell between film and videotape.
Definitely, most of those 70s sitcoms are downright painful to watch on a HDTV, especially a larger one. No what I'd like to see is a simple chart showing what TV shows of the 50s-80s or maybe even later, were shot on film vs videotape. Of course one can look one at a time on IMDb but many times I've seen they don't list the format it was shot in. I included the 50s not because they were really using video tape in the 50s but because of the use of Kinescope(or telerecording if your from GB) which while shot on film are anything but HD
Oh and I'd second the above post recommending Hogans Heroes for great PQ, miles above the earlier made for TV prints distributed on video tape!
bruin95's Avatar bruin95 06:32 PM 01-19-2015
Quote:
Definitely, most of those 70s sitcoms are downright painful to watch on a HDTV, especially a larger one. No what I'd like to see is a simple chart showing what TV shows of the 50s-80s or maybe even later, were shot on film vs videotape. Of course one can look one at a time on IMDb but many times I've seen they don't list the format it was shot in. I included the 50s not because they were really using video tape in the 50s but because of the use of Kinescope(or telerecording if your from GB) which while shot on film are anything but HD
Oh and I'd second the above post recommending Hogans Heroes for great PQ, miles above the earlier made for TV prints distributed on video tape!
I doubt such a chart exists. Just from experience, I would say just about all the sitcoms, and drama series, from the 50's and 60's, were shot on film. It wasn't until the 70's when you started seeing a lot of sitcoms shot on videotape. You could pretty much name a show, and I could tell you whether it was filmed or videotaped. That's how much TV I've watched in my lifetime, LOL!
NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV 09:36 AM 01-20-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
I was watching TV today and to my surprise they converted the Dukes Of Hazzard reruns to HD. I guess back in the 70's they shot the show on 35MM or something that could be turned into HD. If anybody has the CMT channel in HD, take a look at see what you think. I wonder if any of the old TV classics were shot with film That can be converted to 16x9 and HDTV. They have it all the way back to season 1 in 1979 in HDTV.
Technically, The Dukes of Hazzard, like many other older shows, was shot and mastered in a 4x3 aspect ratio.

That means, while the film masters can be converted to HD resolutionin a 4x3 ratio, making them 16x9 requires the image to be cropped.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff 01:19 PM 01-20-2015
I don't know but could it have been shot on 35mm widescreen film and later cropped during the editing? do they make 35mm in 4:3 aspect? If wide screen and they had access to the original uncropped negatives couldn't they present them in full screen now? I thought I remember reading where they had done this before but maybe I'm just imagining it. Maybe for a science fiction program??
NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV 01:41 PM 01-20-2015
Quote:
I don't know but could it have been shot on 35mm widescreen film and later cropped during the editing? do they make 35mm in 4:3 aspect? If wide screen and they had access to the original uncropped negatives couldn't they present them in full screen now? I thought I remember reading where they had done this before but maybe I'm just imagining it. Maybe for a science fiction program??
35mm is 4x3 natively.

When TVs were 4x3, they used the whole negative.

There are almost no 4x3 programs that were shot widescreen and cropped for 4x3. Therefore, shows broadcast in 4x3 in their original run are 99.9% always in need of cropping to make the 16x9. You could literally count the exceptions on one hand.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff 01:54 PM 01-20-2015
If thats the case then I much prefer they air it in the OAR, even if it means a pillar box picture, I don't care for cropping, if someone has to fill their screen let them use stretch or zoom and they can crop the top and bottom.
Jedi Master's Avatar Jedi Master 01:24 PM 01-22-2015
I have all 7 seasons of The Dukes of Hazzard on DVD and the picture quality is amazing. They remastered the episodes for the DVD release and they are in 480p. The DVDs of Gilligan's Island and Hogan's Heroes are also in 480p. The remastered job on them is very well done.
reds75's Avatar reds75 11:28 AM 01-29-2015
My son has the dvd of Gilligans Island, and in my opinion its picture quality is better than most network shows in HD.
Flambe's Avatar Flambe 11:42 AM 01-29-2015
Quote:
Star Trek The Next Generation faced a similar quandary when it was recently re-released on 1080p bluray. Apparently the original film had 16x9 information on it, but they had to stay with a 4:3 resolution for the show for the primary reason that there was stuff outside the 4:3 frame that they couldn't/didn't want to show, like light stands, stage hands, etc. So the remastered STTNG blurays are 1080p but 4:3. BTW they look absolutely amazing.
Young C's Avatar Young C 02:07 PM 07-01-2015
TV Land Benches ‘Dukes Of Hazzard’
By Lisa de Moraes | Wednesday, July 1, 2015 | deadline.com

TV Land already is getting angry calls from Dukes Of Hazzard fans after the network this week yanked the show out of rotation. The Viacom network had only begun airing repeats of the decades-old CBS series on June 10.

Warner Bros. Pulls 'Dukes Of Hazzard' Merchandise With Confederate Flag
“We have removed it from the schedule and have no further comment,” A TV Land rep told Deadline.

The Viacom-owned network’s decision follows by about a week Warner Bros. Consumer Products’ announcement it would stop participating in Confederate flag merchandising. Warner Bros. had produced the CBS series that first aired in the late 1970s-early ’80s, and co-starred a car named General Lee that was festooned with a large Confederate flag on its roof.

TV Land had featured the series twice daily, Monday through Friday, until yanking it this week. TV Land had the series in a shared deal with another Viacom network, CMT and DoH was to have reverted to that network in a few weeks. CMT declined to comment on its plans for the series when contacted last week.

TV Land’s move also comes about a week after businesses began trampling all over each other to get out word they were dropping Confederate merchandise; including Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon, e-Bay, Etsy, Sears, etc. That followed calls by politicians to tear down Confederate flags from government buildings after white supremacist Dylann Roof murdered nine black church-goers, including state senator Clementa Pinckney, during a bible study class, in Charleston, S.C.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/dukes-of...of-1201466719/
djb5f's Avatar djb5f 12:52 PM 07-03-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post
TV Land Benches ‘Dukes Of Hazzard’
By Lisa de Moraes | Wednesday, July 1, 2015 | deadline.com

TV Land already is getting angry calls from Dukes Of Hazzard fans after the network this week yanked the show out of rotation. The Viacom network had only begun airing repeats of the decades-old CBS series on June 10.

Warner Bros. Pulls 'Dukes Of Hazzard' Merchandise With Confederate Flag
“We have removed it from the schedule and have no further comment,” A TV Land rep told Deadline.

The Viacom-owned network’s decision follows by about a week Warner Bros. Consumer Products’ announcement it would stop participating in Confederate flag merchandising. Warner Bros. had produced the CBS series that first aired in the late 1970s-early ’80s, and co-starred a car named General Lee that was festooned with a large Confederate flag on its roof.

TV Land had featured the series twice daily, Monday through Friday, until yanking it this week. TV Land had the series in a shared deal with another Viacom network, CMT and DoH was to have reverted to that network in a few weeks. CMT declined to comment on its plans for the series when contacted last week.

TV Land’s move also comes about a week after businesses began trampling all over each other to get out word they were dropping Confederate merchandise; including Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon, e-Bay, Etsy, Sears, etc. That followed calls by politicians to tear down Confederate flags from government buildings after white supremacist Dylann Roof murdered nine black church-goers, including state senator Clementa Pinckney, during a bible study class, in Charleston, S.C.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/dukes-of...of-1201466719/
Wow, not too surprised though.

I actually thought when the ~2007 movie came out that they might remove the flag from the top of the General Lee.
taxman48's Avatar taxman48 01:22 PM 07-03-2015
Golfer Bubba Watson paints over flag of General Lee:

http://nydailynews.com/sports/mo...icle-1.2280033
Up
View Full Version