• 1 Post By Nick V
Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 4515
The Best Surge Protector

No audio/video system is complete without a good surge protector, especially if you live in an area prone to lightning and other sources of power surges. Our friends at The Wirecutter have done extensive research into these essential peripherals, and we are happy to present their picks for the best surge projectors on the market today for various applications. Also included is a section on how surge protectors work, how the units were tested, the results of objective measurements, and much more. If you value your AV gear—and who among us doesn't?—be sure to check it out!

/the-best-surge-protector/
Delta1142, dnoonie and bmcn like this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, online-shashki Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 02:53 PM
DAB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Great read--- I just add the tripplet single to the plug for both my Re-fridge and dishwasher..... because of all eh electronic in them..........
Old 01-10-2017, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 727
The best way to take care of surge protection is to go the whole house approach and have one installed on your panel, that will prevent surges from entering your home. The first line of defense. After that, use individual surfer protection of the type described in the article as well. But, don't forget to install one on your panel.
dnoonie, Ted99, bmcn and 3 others like this.

Louder is NOT better!

Old 01-10-2017, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 81
is there any conceivable reason why you wouldn't want to use a high powered sub amp with a surge protector?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Nice testing,

I've been using Isobars for the past 30 years and they work well. I'll be picking up another one when I purchase a new AVR next month--the old one goes to my wife's stuff. Priorities!

Five28 likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Nice read! Thanks.

A review of whole house protectors would be great!

Rack mount surge protectors would be a great review too!

I went looking and here's what I found at Wirecutter, http://thewirecutter.com/?s=surge

Yep, and what they said about insurance! I have a special rider on my homeowners insurance for my HT and photo equipment. I've had one claim (dropped an expensive camera lens). The special rider made the claim smooth as can be with $0 deductible.

Cheers,

OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 685
The best surge protector is the one that has lifetime warranty for anything connected at full value.

The day my £50 Belkin surge protector blows (unlikely) I get a free upgrade of my entire HT.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Saying that a surge protector is best because it cuts off power once the surge protection wears off is kinda dumb. For certain situations, a surge protector like that can be appropriate. However, the chance of a surge which would damage your equipment is rather small. The recommended surge protector can create a huge inconvenience. Imagine if your whole-house surge protector (if you have one) decided that was a good feature. Would you still get it? If you could turn the auto-shutoff feature on or off, that would be fantastic, but if you can't, I think a light indicator is a better option for most situations.

Also, its 2017. A 2.1A USB charger doesn't really qualify for fast charging anymore (especially when its combined across multiple ports). Most new phones/devices (USB-C) require 3A to allow the fastest charging today, so saying that a 2.1A USB charger will allow fast charging can be misleading.

Other than that, is a pretty good article
Old 01-11-2017, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 230
What happened to Brick Wall?

JVC RS600, Grandview 120" 1.3g curved screen in Batcave HT,
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, ED A6t sides, Oppo 203,
Denon X4300H plus Carver 350w for L & R in Batcave waiting for Denon X8500. 4X subs w/ 2 Y-connectors
Old 01-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
The best surge protector is the one that has lifetime warranty for anything connected at full value.

The day my £50 Belkin surge protector blows (unlikely) I get a free upgrade of my entire HT.
How does that actually work? I was about to post about most surge protectors carry warranties if your product is damaged and connected. Or is it one of those things where they are so many steps you have to follow that you are basically never getting coverage for your gear if something happens.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstanek View Post
Saying that a surge protector is best because it cuts off power once the surge protection wears off is kinda dumb.
True, because everyone always pays attention to a warning light...and the equipment still runs. For a strip, it makes sense to shut down because it demands attention when it happens. Think of it as a fuse, the last line of defense. It is better to be interupted because of an equipment killing surge shuts down the suppressor than have it run with a light. My power conditioner would click as it scaled the voltage issues and when power went nuts, it would do it many times. Surges act that way also, there can be a string of electrical problems down the line and if they are high enough to blow the protection, the next several surges will happily blow up your gear as that light glows.

How fast can you respond to a clip light on your amp? I bet not fast enough for it to only do it once! For this, they created the limiter for a reason so the strip shutting down would be the ultimate limiter.

For whole house protection, I would prefer a loud alarm since I don't make it a habit to hang out in the garage and check my breaker panel. It is much easier to replace a power strip over replacing your electronics so... just a thought.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

Good luck getting paid on that.

JVC DLA-400RS, Elunevision 120" 2:35 Cinemascope AT screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD player, OPPO UDP-203, NAD M25 amp, Anthem PVA-4, 4x Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm Prestige 15B, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Saying that a surge protector is best because it cuts off power once the surge protection wears off is kinda dumb. For certain situations, a surge protector like that can be appropriate. However, the chance of a surge which would damage your equipment is rather small. The recommended surge protector can create a huge inconvenience. Imagine if your whole-house surge protector (if you have one) decided that was a good feature. Would you still get it? If you could turn the auto-shutoff feature on or off, that would be fantastic, but if you can't, I think a light indicator is a better option for most situations.
I just bought one from amazon for <$19. Buy two so you can quickly swap one out if it stops working. I always have a spare one for such occasions.

As inconvenient as it may be, having your equipment break is far more inconvenient.

If you think the chances of having an equipment damaging surge is small, you must live in an area that doesn't get thunderstorms. I've lost several surge protectors due to nearby lightning strikes. Last summer I had a strike that produced something that looked like a lightning flash inside my entertainment center. Scared the crap out of me. Everything still worked, but I replaced the surge protector just in case.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
True, because everyone always pays attention to a warning light...and the equipment still runs. For a strip, it makes sense to shut down because it demands attention when it happens. Think of it as a fuse, the last line of defense. It is better to be interupted because of an equipment killing surge shuts down the suppressor than have it run with a light. My power conditioner would click as it scaled the voltage issues and when power went nuts, it would do it many times. Surges act that way also, there can be a string of electrical problems down the line and if they are high enough to blow the protection, the next several surges will happily blow up your gear as that light glows.

How fast can you respond to a clip light on your amp? I bet not fast enough for it to only do it once! For this, they created the limiter for a reason so the strip shutting down would be the ultimate limiter.

For whole house protection, I would prefer a loud alarm since I don't make it a habit to hang out in the garage and check my breaker panel. It is much easier to replace a power strip over replacing your electronics so... just a thought.
If the issue is that a light won't work for most people (I can agree w/ that in a lot of situations), then there are other options, such as sound. But shutting off all power is extreme. There are better options. Again, I don't disagree that there may be some pieces of equipment where that is desirable. But in most cases, it would be far more convenient to have a surge protector distribute power while properly notifying the owner that the surge protection is either failing or has failed.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I just bought one from amazon for <$19. Buy two so you can quickly swap one out if it stops working. I always have a spare one for such occasions.

As inconvenient as it may be, having your equipment break is far more inconvenient.

If you think the chances of having an equipment damaging surge is small, you must live in an area that doesn't get thunderstorms. I've lost several surge protectors due to nearby lightning strikes. Last summer I had a strike that produced something that looked like a lightning flash inside my entertainment center. Scared the crap out of me. Everything still worked, but I replaced the surge protector just in case.
I'm curious. What surge protector do you have that can protect from a nearby lightning strike? I have never seen one. I've always assumed that was what insurance was for, and not surge protectors.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
I'm curious. What surge protector do you have that can protect from a nearby lightning strike? I have never seen one. I've always assumed that was what insurance was for, and not surge protectors.
I can't remember off the top of my head and I threw it out, but I think it was the belkin with the rotatable sockets on the side mentioned in the article.

Surge protectors generally do protect against lightning strikes. That's one of their primary purposes. But nothing will likely help if your electrical system takes a direct hit.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I can understand the strategy of picking up a cheap surge protector and just replacing it as needed every couple years. I ended up going the polar opposite route of picking up the very best power conditioner/surge protector that I could afford, and I've never looked back. I've been using a Sound Application CF-X for approximately 10 years in my main system with excellent results. It retailed at a ridiculous $5K with the accompanying MacWire Delta power cord, but I was able to pick it up slightly used for just under $1K.

"The internal power distribution is via 4N (99.99% pure) 1/8-inch copper bus bars and 6N (99.9999% pure) copper wire. All internal wiring is point-to-point, and is rated at 100 amps. The unit can safely handle 6 kilowatts of power, well beyond the rating of a standard 15-amp circuit breaker. A custom high-speed magnetic circuit breaker provides an interrupt time of less than one millisecond for high-current transients - much faster than the thermal breakers commonly used in competing products. A bank of eight varistors follows for voltage spike suppression and protection. A 23-step stage filter bank of high-quality capacitors, mainly film and foil types, is used to provide a near-zero impedance pathway for both transverse and common mode noise. The primary emphasis, however, is on transverse mode EMI and RFI rejection. For effective filtering, it is necessary to cover the desired bandwidth with multiple capacitor sizes, as each capacitor's high-frequency self-resonance limits its upper range of applicability. Did I mention the several pounds of Cascade Audio dampening compound used internally, or that all soldering is performed in an inert argon gas environment to eliminate the formation of surface oxides?"

"All of this leads me to present the Sound Application CF-X as the perfect solution for the filtration of EM and RF noise (EMI and RFI). This filter uses no transformers or other current limiting devices. It is designed to provide an extremely low impedance capacitive shunt to ground for EM and RF energy over a bandwidth from 10 kHz to 2.5 GHz. That's an upper limit of 2.5 Gigahertz - clear out to the microwave range! I'm not aware of any competing models that can claim a bandwidth beyond the megahertz range. Noise reduction of up to -60 dB is claimed across this bandwidth."

Excerpts are from Dick Olsher's Review of the Sound Application CF-X for enjoythemusic.com.

Having said all that, I'm sure there are a lot of people that think such a product is complete snake oil. I would have been very curious to see how some of the higher end or state-of-the-art power products out there would compare objectively as surge and spike protectors compared to those mentioned in the article.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. KEF LS50 L/C/R Speakers. KEF Q100 Surround L/R, Mirage BPS 400. Anthem MRX-300. Wyred4Sound STP-SE. Blue Circle BC 24. Cambridge DACMagic +. Oppo BDP-83. Sound Application CF-X. GIK Panels
Living Room: Vizio M55 4K HDR TV. GoldenEar 3D Array X. Rythmik L-12. Denon AVR-X3200. Oppo BDP-83
Studio: KEF Egg Wireless Speakers. Totem Kin Subwoofer. Yulong P-18 Power Conditioner. GIK Panels
Old 01-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
The best way to take care of surge protection is to go the whole house approach and have one installed on your panel, that will prevent surges from entering your home. The first line of defense. After that, use individual surfer protection of the type described in the article as well. But, don't forget to install one on your panel.
would whole house surge protectors also have to be replaced over time?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 979
the problem with surge protectors is that they only work once and are fried, its the second surge that destroys all the equipment and the warranty from the surge protector reads "it worked the 1st time"

get home owners insurance for insurance, not a surge protector.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 234
This is the best read I have found regarding whole home (type 2) surge protectors: https://stevejenkins.com/blog/20...ge-protection/
Nick V and dnoonie like this.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 215
This thread has me thinking, my Panamax M-5300EX is probably at least 10 years old. Should I be looking at swapping it out for something like the Tripp Lite mentioned in this review? What if my Panamax lost its surge protection?

Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4
Samsung 65JS8500 (calibrated by Gregg Loewen); Marantz SR6010 + Onkyo M-5010; Oppo UDP-203; Apple TV (4th Gen); PS4; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST, CS-8060HD, SR-8040BP, ProMonitor 800; SVS PC12-NSD (2)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I had the same question regarding my Sound Application power conditioner. I sent an email asking whether or not the spike/surge protection would still be active in my CF-X and received this reply from Jim Weil of Sound Application:

" Yes.What Sound Application used in the CF-X is an eleven plus stage circuit.
Surge control is the Best magnetic circuit breaker sold.
Following this are multiple RC networks that take the tip off of any type of voltage spike. Following this is massive bank of 10 varistors in a proprietary configuration that has "self protection" - my design. This is just the start. There are many more components that also act as spike protection.

Four SA units have had direct lightning strikes with Zero damage to Audio gear: at this point the varistor banks had to be replaced.
Other than the above, the SA protective circuit should last 50 years.

Regarding the surge protectors the article refers to, the answer is yes, no and maybe.

It depends on how the spike and or surge protective circuits are designed.
The traditional 'modern' technique uses the 49 cent approach with 1 varistor between hot and neutral or the $1.50 approach with 3 varistors in a 3 way bridge. These both sound awful, quickly wear out and cannot survive a lightning strike or protect your equipment in a meaningful sense. Older approaches use zener diodes or gas discharge tubes - both utterly worthless with the first being way too slow and the latter can only handle a tenth of a watt. Some manufacturers use a gas discharge tube due to it's price point (of one penny) and for advertising purposes."
ThePrisoner likes this.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. KEF LS50 L/C/R Speakers. KEF Q100 Surround L/R, Mirage BPS 400. Anthem MRX-300. Wyred4Sound STP-SE. Blue Circle BC 24. Cambridge DACMagic +. Oppo BDP-83. Sound Application CF-X. GIK Panels
Living Room: Vizio M55 4K HDR TV. GoldenEar 3D Array X. Rythmik L-12. Denon AVR-X3200. Oppo BDP-83
Studio: KEF Egg Wireless Speakers. Totem Kin Subwoofer. Yulong P-18 Power Conditioner. GIK Panels
Old 01-18-2017, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
There is an international standard for surge testing IEC/EN 61000-4-5. How do these protection products fare against it? How do the consumer products standalone fare against it?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
the problem with surge protectors is that they only work once and are fried, its the second surge that destroys all the equipment and the warranty from the surge protector reads "it worked the 1st time"

It might be true.

Surge protectors are for shielding the gadgets from the voltage spike. The voltage spike may happen from the lightning strikes or because of the substantial wind. If you are not using any surge protectors, better to unplug the gadgets from the sockets during the lightning storm.

If the voltage of lightning is great the surge protectors won't be able to withstand their power. Once, our PC got damaged when the lightning struck though we had a surge protector. We haven't realized that our surge protector was not working. So we got another surge protection device from Barrie with indicators, that indicates whether it is working or not. Also, it is good to get one having UL rating.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlenMir View Post
It might be true.

Surge protectors are for shielding the gadgets from the voltage spike. The voltage spike may happen from the lightning strikes or because of the substantial wind. If you are not using any surge protectors, better to unplug the gadgets from the sockets during the lightning storm.

If the voltage of lightning is great the surge protectors won't be able to withstand their power. Once, our PC got damaged when the lightning struck though we had a surge protector. We haven't realized that our surge protector was not working. So we got another surge protection device from Barrie with indicators, that indicates whether it is working or not. Also, it is good to get one having UL rating.
the best one i got so far is Tripp Lite tlp1008tel Surge Protection

Alain Pilon

Montreal, Quebec
Old 04-30-2017, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post

I am not sure how easy it would be to try and get paid through house insurance; most policies also have a deductible of at least $1000 to be affordable for people, the deductible on many policies are significantly higher than that. I am not sure I understand the logic of not investing in the relatively low cost for surge protectors and weighing that against eating the deductible portion of a policy, but to each their own....
Old 05-04-2017, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I can tell you, if you want the best technology out there, do a little research into Surge X. I'm a commercial integrator and some of the power nightmares I've seen would amaze you,. Hell, they shocked me (pun intended). We do a lot of work for the DOD, and a large amount of video walls. Just recently I was looking into spec'ing different product. I've since done a complete 180.
The Technology behind Surge X
non degrading
non-sacrificial
self resetting
feature voltage stabilization
and an on-board transformer in almost all of their products
The rep actually lugs around a 6000v transformer to give a live demo of their products capabilities.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wad recommended panamax, just got 5300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibaji View Post
I wad recommended panamax, just got 5300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audioquest Niagara 7000 here for the home theater.

Transparent Audio (can't remember model) for the bedroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
accell powramid , belkin pivotplug , surge protector , tripp lite spikecube , tripp lite tlp1008tel