1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaido
Old 12-28-2016, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Opal Nugget Ice machine (Sonic ice-style)

Ordered this way back when off Indiegogo: (similar to Kickstarter)

https://indiegogo.com/projects/o...gget-ice-maker

It got picked up by GE & they just started shipping out the crowdfunding orders. Current orders can be placed on their new website:

https://nuggetice.com/

Not a cheap machine at $450 per unit; next batch is shipping out early 2017. It is very large and heavy (it does fit under the cabinets above the countertop, however) & is fairly noisy (dishwasher level of noise). But, if you're into nugget ice (my family loves it, we usually buy a few bags from Sonic anytime we drive by - unfortunately the closest one is 30 minutes away, so it's an hour round trip & requires a freezer bag so the ice won't melt), it is an amazing machine. Great for sodas, slushies, and chewable ice. The commercial ones (Scotsman etc.) go for $2,500 to $5,000, so this is much more budget-friendly than either of those. Operation is pretty easy (has Bluetooth & can be controlled via an app as far as scheduling & ice-making goes). Cleanup is easy (haven't had to do it yet, but iirc it was tsp. of bleach with a water solution & built-in flexible drain pipes, plus a dedicated switch from ice-making to cleaning on the back of the unit).

It's a pretty simple device to operate...you pull out the ice tray & fill up the reservoir with water to the max fill line, then press the button to start the ice-making cycle. Makes one pound of ice per hour (3-pound capacity). No water-line required; so you can basically put it anywhere there's a power outlet. The ice that melts can be refrozen into new nuggets if you just want to leave it on all the time. Oh, and we did a copycat Blue Ocean Water soft drink & it came out pretty well!

http://classyclutter.net/2014/05...opycat-recipe/

Robert Clark likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 03:54 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I would love one of these.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Interesting, I love that kind of ice...

Old 01-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does anyone know if I preorder do I get billed now or when it ships?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post
Does anyone know if I preorder do I get billed now or when it ships?

Billed, then you wait for shipment
Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Interesting, I love that kind of ice...
Yeah, I have a couple dozen kitchen appliances & my family said this is the best one I've ever purchased (not to mention the most expensive, haha). We leave ours on 24/7. Cleaning is pretty easy; they recommend doing it once a week. You just use a little bleach with some water & let it run through the cleaning cycle for a few minutes (there's a switch on the back that puts it into cleaning mode). You do need to drain the water manually, so we keep ours next to the sink for convenience (I have a great faucet from Home Depot where the head comes out as a sprayer, so I can just refill it right from the tap). It is huge, but does fit under the countertops & since we use it all the time, it's worth the footprint. They also sell a water filter for it now that plugs into the water reservoir, although even my cruddy city water actually makes pretty good-tasting ice, so I haven't bothered to buy one yet.

We actually ended up getting into modern vacuum-sealed mugs because of the nugget ice maker. I have a 16oz Zojirushi locking thermos; it will keep the ice cold all day so I can refill it a few times at work with water or whatever. Pretty pricey at $25, but it feels like it will last forever:

https://amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-...dp/B005PO9T44/

The RTIC 30oz tumbler also does a great job (Yeti knockoff, basically a 1:1 clone though). Also feels very heavy-duty. They do sell their own straws; I recommend getting a locking lid so you don't spill, but not from RTIC - we bought one of theirs & it drips, there are plenty of other brands of sealed lids that have little flip-up spout covers that do a better job of not leaking if you tilt it. Also recommend getting the handle for it since it's kind of oversized. Fits great in a car cupholder:

https://amazon.com/RTIC-RTIC30-3...dp/B019D9HESO/

We also have a 10oz "lowball" tumbler, which is great for smaller drinks:

https://amazon.com/RTIC-Stainles...dp/B01DMWMQOU/

This next one isn't insulated, but if you have kids, it is worth its weight in gold - it's a no-spill cup with a pushbutton auto-seal lip. Basically, you have to push the button to open the spout (which is small, so even if they tilt it with the button pushed, it won't drip a ton like a big open nozzle would) & if your fingers release the button, it closes. You do have to break the button in for a day or two because it requires some force initially, but I would say any kid over say five years old wouldn't have a problem with it:

https://amazon.com/Contigo-AUTOS...dp/B00MVODNGG/
Old 02-05-2017, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One other note, this is soft pellet ice. It is chewable, but that comes with a tradeoff: it will dilute your drink pretty quickly. For example, I am a fan of the Mexican glass-bottle Sprite soda drink, made with sugar instead of corn syrup (note quite as in-your-face sweet as the American version) - the ice really cuts down on the sugaryness of the soda in pretty short order. The high-fructose corn syrup version from the cans or plastic bottles (HFCS is the common version they sell everywhere) is sweeter & keeps its flavor better even after getting diluted down by the melting water from the soft pellet ice, so that's something to keep in mind if you drink soda. It's not that the ice melts really fast, it's just that it puts more water into the drink than regular ice from the freezer does...imagine the other layer melting within minutes, while still keeping it's pellet-ice shape. Anyway, I know that's getting kind of specific about ice, but fair warning!

If you're a water-drinker, it's great because it just makes the water cold. My family actually drinks a ton more water now than other drinks because you can fill up your cup with ice, fill it up with water at the tap, and have a nice, refreshing cold drink that you can also chew on the ice with. Plus with those double-insulated, vacuum-sealed mugs I mentioned above, you can fill up your cup & keep ice for hours & hours, which is pretty nice.

Also, babies love this thing. The ice is soft enough for teething babies to chew up really easily. It's like an edible teething ring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement