Forum Jump:
Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any of you buy a knock-off brand lovesac? These look like great for gaming or home theater- but I can't seem to find anyone who has bought one of the generic ones.

For those who don't know- lovesacs are giant foam filled bags that look like bean bag chairs. They are very comfortable but can cost hundreds more than some off-brand alternatives such as the ultimate sack, the foam hut, mojosac, comfy sacks, chubby chairs, etc.

These knock-off providers often post similar specs, so they appear to be the the same product but without the name brand up-charge. However, there could be questions about the material and build quality of these cheaper bags.

I've searched extensively for user reviews of these alternatives but have had little luck. Please post your experiences here and thanks for your help!

PSN: Savage_Otters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the same question as you a couple of weeks ago. Myself being somewhat thrifty I didn't want to do two full rows of theatre chairs in my media room, and instead went for one row of berklines and 2 huge bean bags for the first row.

I bought a 6' and a 7.5' Cozy Sac from ebay (used live.com cashback for an even better deal). These were the cheapest sac's I could fine that had the features I wanted (foam, removable liner, etc). Anyways shipping took about a week and they are great. They are not round like lovesac/comfysac and you don't have a crazy amount of choice for colors. They are like a big giant cylinder and they are VERY comfortable. Some nights I perfer lying in the big 7.5' one with the wifey to the motorized berklines. A plus for us is that kids LOVE them.

If you have specific questions let me know.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 PM

Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the info... I decided to go with the Slacker Sack- also available on ebay with live cash back (30%!!). It's a tad more expensive but I liked the foam they used better. I will post my impressions once I get it.

PSN: Savage_Otters
Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 AM

Just checked it out looks pretty good. My feeling is that they are probably pretty similar. I don't find the foam chunky in mine at all. Good luck! =) Can't beat the cashback.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I've sat in lovesacs and their rip offs before, and they're just not for me. They are fairly comfortable, I guess, but no where modern/contemporary or "comfortable enough" for me to consider buying one for myself...

Projects:
NOT STARTED - Theater (Sim2 HT380, CIH 13ft wide).
IN PROGRESS (10%) - Home LAN (4 PCs).

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM

I have a really small HT room and as such we only have room for a couple "real" seats (we could do 3, maybe 4, movie theatre type seats but we opted for a 2 chair reclining love seat with center console). It's great for the wife and I, but for the occasions we have people over it's tough since there's just nowhere to put them. I have one cheap, small bean bag "video game" chair that I usually take and give the guest and my wife the good seats.

Anyways, I really wanted to get a couple of BIG foam filled bean bags but the $200+ price tag was just never reasonable for me. So, I decided last week to just make my own as I want to start up a monthly movie night with some friends of mine.

I picked up 7 yards of some microfiber/microsuede material at a local craft store for $40 (actually it's 14 yards at $80 as I'm doing 2 bags) and found a local upholstery/foam shop that I got 100 cubic feet of foam packing pieces for $80. They're little pyramid shaped polyurethane foam chunks with what looks like about 3 different sized pieces so they should fit together into am irregular but lump free blob.

My mother-in-law offered to sew the bags up if I cut/designed it, so I'm going a cylinder shape with 4ft circular ends and a 5ft wide tube connecting them. It appears to be the same shape Cozy Sacs uses. I'm figuring on (hoping since I ordered the foam already) about 50 cu. ft. per bag and seating one adult man, or a couple who want to be cozy with each other, or a couple small people/kids on each seat, so I can now probably seat as many as 7 people in my little theatre (2 on the recliners, 2 on each 5ft bag, and one in the old single seat beanbag which I am overstuffing with any left over foam material from the two new seats). The two main seats are the best, but the bean bag spots are a decent viewing distance and only about a 30degree angle so should be very tolerable.

Point is that if you're interested in saving some money by going for one of the knockoffs then you might look into making your own as I'm figuring about $80 per bag which is less than half the cheapest price I can find online (including shipping). I'm guessing that not including the planning an research time it'll be around 3 hours of work for each chair, so easily worth the $100+ savings, imo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement