Forum Jump:
Old 09-26-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm a first time DIYer and trying to figure out the installation process of wall mounting my TV. I just got one of the VideoSecu wall mounts from Amazon and installed it onto my wall already. I noticed when cutting holes in the drywall for the wire run that the studs are metal.

The bolts that I used came with the package and were about 3-4'' long. They seem pretty sturdy and i tried hanging on it w/o a problem. (i am about 160 and the TV is about 65)

With the mount already screwed in and in place, I wanted to see if this were a safe option or i was taking too much of a risk:

If i just included some toggle bolts directly into the drywall on the top and bottom of the mount (there are a whole set of extra holes that I can drill into between the two studs) would this be sufficient? To be clear, these would not go into the studs but simply lock onto the drywall.

So this would be the arrangement:
2 screws on both the left and the right side that are screwed into the metal stud (4 total)
4 screws in between the two sides that are screwed into the drywall with toggle bolts

Also another random question: In cutting up the drywall I came face to face with one of the pipes behind the drywall.

I am installing one of these:
http://amazon.com/Datacomm-50-33...uct/B001PB7UVA

Is there any danger in installing this right in front of a pipe (not sure what it is for, maybe electrical?) Part of the reason I bought that plate was because it is safer than just running the power cord through but I just wanted to make sure this was still safe.

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
The lag bolts supplied with most mounts are intended for use with wooden studs. They will not provide a secure mount in steel studs. You will need to use something like toggle bolts. Even then, steel studs really aren't intended for this.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for the reply.

i guess that's what my question is. I know those lag bolts are traditionally intended for wood so If I am using them but also using four toggle bolts to reinforce the mount (granted they are only held up in the drywall, not on the studs), I am wondering if this would be enough support.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
The problem with the lag bolts isn't their shear performance (you proved that by hanging on the mount), it is that they can pull out of the hole. You need something better, like toggle bolts. There is also the issue that putting holes in the flange of a steel stud weakens it. But you are already past that point. I supposed toggle bolts or other appropriate dry wall anchors might help some. They certainly won't hurt. FWIW appropriate dry wall anchors are quite of supporting the TV when there is little or no moment outward from the wall, which is the normal case with a flat screen TV. The only real question is what happens if you do get that moment out from the wall. Dry wall isn't up to handling much of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement