Forum Jump:
3Likes
Old 02-01-2016, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dell XPS 8700 using Vizio M65 as monitor

I have already called Vizio support and that was a total waste of time, Level II. All I want to do is connect my Dell desktop XPS 8700 (Win7) via HDMI to Vizio M65 to stream. When I connect using Dell HDMI To Vizio HDMI 5 (I tried all the HDMI ports too) I don't get a signal. I tried the dvi ports as well and no signal.

Vizio says they don't know what settings I should use in Win 7 for the M65. She said I need to adjust the "playback" settings in Dell but had no idea where that was. I asked her if playback is what it is called and she said yes. I can't find anything that says "playback". I asked if she meant the resolution setting and she said yes but the way she responded made me think she wasn't certain on that either. She was also eating her lunch in between giving me her answers and I really am not sure she knew what she was talking about. I had to explain to her that I need to know where in the settings to change it before hand since when I connect the tv to it there is no way for me to see the settings. Oh yeah was her response. She said I needed to adjust the settings down on my computer for the M65 and not sure what that would be or where and she had nothing to offer on this. Does anyone here know where I make the changes in Win7 on this desktop so I can get the Vizio to work as a monitor. Is there a base line I can set the computer at for it to at least to show a picture on the tv and then adjust from there?

I am using an Amazon HDMI video and audio cable.

Thanks for any insights you have on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 02:50 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 395
1) Is your PC set to an aspect ratio the TV can use (16x9)? 1920x1080 or other. You likely wont want something that isn't 16x9...

2) Could be an HDMI handshake issue? PCs don't play nice with HDMI-CEC. Different TV manufacturers call CEC different things... Samsung, for example, often calls it "anynet+", I think. Google what Vizio calls HDMI-CEC, and turn that off.

3) other forums on online-shashki might be helpful for this question. Perhaps find the Vizio M owners thread on the LCD TV forum, or try the Home Theater Computers forum [Edit - looks like your post has already been moved]...

Good luck.

Last edited by psuKinger; 02-01-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:31 PM
VBB

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 881
The Dell has two video cards, integrated and discrete. Which HDMI port did you plug the cable into? My guess is you used the integrated HDMI port on the motherboard while the discrete card was active. In that case you would get no signal. If you see another HDMI port in the back of the PC, try that.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-C3 | Onkyo HT-RC360 | X-Rite i1Display Pro | Synology DiskStation DS1813+ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
ArgyllCMS | DisplayCAL | HCFR | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Kodi | Plex

Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for responding. I just tried Vizio support again to see if I could find a better answer and really got fed up with Vizio support. I think this will be my one and only Vizio. I am getting a very clear and definite impression on how poor their support is from this privately owned company. Heck I may return it to Costco and get the LG with WebOs and avoid this nightmare of their so called support to get this thing to browse. I don't know who they sub contract out but they need to have that first gal not eat her lunch or chew gum or chew cud while talking to customers. That last supervisor was just a jerk too.

First at pcKinger, Wow that is such a better response than the three people I talked to today. OMG! Yes I do agree with the whole handshake thing and I tried to make that argument and the supervisor who just wanted to diss me by saying the tv was not designed for computer and I said well then why do you have computer settings for the picture quality etc on the Vizio etc. I was just livid by the time I hung up. Their suggestion is not to improve their handshake but for me to always set tv up with another monitor in the room with the pc and then add the tv monitor but have no idea if that will work either. It is not like Dell is some small computer company no one would hook the tv up with that they couldn't do a decent handshake with. I will check the 16 x 9. Thank you.

VBB - Well I have the NVIDIA GeForce 650 Ti as the only video card I was aware of and could pick. It also has a HDMI port on the back and that is the one I used to connect to the Vizio and it didn't work. I had no idea I had an HDMI port back there until I looked and took off the cover. Had no devices that needed that port. I will check for another HDMI port but I don't think I have one. Thanks for mentioning how Dell has two video cards I thought you could only have one at a time and only one slot provided for that. Thank you for pointing this out.

I am so used to just plug and play now a days and well to come across a device that doesn't play nice and they couldn't be bothered to have a decent handshake or port setup for decent handshake is just a huge fail I think. My cheap keyboards and mice can do that and so many other things / I will need to mention this in my reviews. I heard so many glowing things about the M65 but no one mentioned how archaic it is to use with a computer.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 395
FWIW, I doubt your struggles are unique to the Vizio (although you'd think good customer support would be able to help you out, anyway... but poor/uninformed customer support isn't unique to vizio either...).

The other poster's suggestion is a good one. My HTPC has two HDMI ports, too... one directly connected to the video card, the other i think linked directly to the motherboard. If you have two, try the other. If you can adjust pc settings, try to set PC settings so the *right* one is the one on the video card.

But please also check hdmi-cec. Most PC's don't like it. A lot of tv manufacturers have CEC enabled, out of the box...
VBB and Goosebumps like this.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Please post a photo of the back of your computer with all the cables connected.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
FWIW, I doubt your struggles are unique to the Vizio (although you'd think good customer support would be able to help you out, anyway... but poor/uninformed customer support isn't unique to vizio either...).

The other poster's suggestion is a good one. My HTPC has two HDMI ports, too... one directly connected to the video card, the other i think linked directly to the motherboard. If you have two, try the other. If you can adjust pc settings, try to set PC settings so the *right* one is the one on the video card.

But please also check hdmi-cec. Most PC's don't like it. A lot of tv manufacturers have CEC enabled, out of the box...
Thanks psuKinger. I will check that out for sure today.

Yes I know that tech companies have this affinity for poor tech support but . . .

I think if Vizio had better software with this TV I wouldn't need tech support. It would have been a mute point. They have been penny wise and pound foolish with the software with this unit:

1) If they had a browser with this I wouldn't have to attempt a work around.
2) Now even the work around is a huge hassle with crappy handshake and may not be possible.
3) Then the tech support is crappy.
4) The picture settings are poor and now I have to search these forums for a way to make the picture look more movie like. Huge Fail and so many have complained about this and no software update. Too much goes on deaf ears with this company. I would have had updates on this model long ago.

I stream a lot and having a tv that cannot browse online is a huge minus in my book. The only reason I bought this tv is because of the reviews and the fact my old tv died. I have been holding out for better for years now. Vizio M65 for me was settling for now. I still don't know why it has taken like 20 yrs to put a motherboard into a tv to allow it to stream freely and to do it really well by now. The wait has been much too long and the prices much too high. I feel like this segment has been pulling consumers around by a brass ring in their noses. I have avoided that up till now but I feel a tug at my brass ring now.

I had heard years earlier from Costco tech support the tvs that came back the most were Vizio so I was not keen on Vizio's approach years earlier. Their track record is pretty spotty. But the reviews were so glowing and the price came down and no tv and I finally made the reluctant leap. I am pondering that decision right now.

I still have most of my 90 days to return this to Costco and buy the LG. These interactions with Vizio can be a deal breaker for me. I bought from Costco knowing I could return it and customer satisfaction is a big one with them and forces companies to step up or take the returns back.

This is not a toaster, I spent a lot of money on it and customer service with higher ticket items should be a priority with companies if they want to KEEP the sales. I sell online myself so I know how important customer service is. I want repeat business and bad reviews sting and I try to avoid them at all costs. Sometimes people can be unreasonable and there is nothing you can do about that. But when the issue is reasonable I will drop everything and fix it asap to show good faith and acknowledge the error on my part or improve on it based on recommendations. Pretending everything is ok is insulting to the consumer and makes the manufacturer look inept. Right now you don't have to have super duper products but a good one and you can gain customer loyalty by showing you care and will fix it right now and next time you make something you make sure you avoid those issues. I have followers who appreciate this and I did it because as a consumer I value that in a big way. Also either the cream floats to the top or crap does. How a company is run from the top down creates the climate below. Right now I don't feel that cream is floating to the top with this company. I didn't mind having to call Vizio but I did mind that when I did I was treated like crap. I think my reviews should counter balance all the hyper marketing out there for this brand let alone this model.

I think this thread should be moved to Vizio or M65 so folks who have this tv or thinking about this tv understand the pitfalls and know what they are up against with this model if they think they can just plug and play and use it as a monitor.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:13 PM
VBB

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 881
I understand your frustration, but how can you expect a TV manufacturer's level 1 support to guide you through hooking up your PC? You might have had more luck with Dell's support line, to be honest. This is entirely a computer issue, and if you had visited the M thread in the LCD section before, you would have noticed how many of us use their PCs with the TV.

Did you try my suggestion of plugging the HDMI cable into the port on your motherboard? Did you hook up a monitor and the TV at the same time to see if the PC even detects the TV?

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | VIZIO M70-C3 | Onkyo HT-RC360 | X-Rite i1Display Pro | Synology DiskStation DS1813+ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
ArgyllCMS | DisplayCAL | HCFR | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Kodi | Plex
Old 02-05-2016, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

@ VBB Well I finally dragged all the computer stuff out to the living room to test them before I put the cords thru the walls. There is only one HDMI port on this computer. There is no second port. I thought there might be after the suggestions here but after close inspection it does not.

I was hoping to just use the HDMI port for the tv and not use up the dvi ports since I have two 27' hp monitors in those ports. I was hoping I could just switch to the hdmi port for the tv or switch one dvi port to the tv simply when I wanted to stream from the internet via the computer...however

When I went ahead and plugged the tv into one of the dvi monitor ports with adapter via hdmi cord from tv hdmi 5, it works but the streaming is jerky. It was not acceptable and not being a snob about it. It streams perfectly with my 27" HP monitors. I don't have that jerkiness with my other monitors and desktop stations either. The tv does do this when it streams from Netflix apps within the tv etc. So there is clearly a big difference when you compare the large hp computer monitors ability to work with the computer compared to the M65. I wouldn't use it as a monitor it just doesn't do as well with streaming from computer. The whole point was to stream content from PBS for instance. I don't know why they don't have a PBS app.

I need to go back and look at the LG tvs at Costco that have the WebOS. I know I will be constantly annoyed at the limitations of the M65 with the poor interfacing with the internet. I am also not looking forward to trying to figure out the M65's picture settings for a movie since I am tiring of the soap opera look of everything. Some sole ownerships and smaller organizations have the agility and the smarts to move and fill voids and some just have a very one way approach to the market place with blinders on and total stubbornness to changes and don't want to hear from the public and drag their feet with changes. At this point I think Vizio is the latter. I do think that the Vizio M65, like my HP monitors, if they say it can do something like be a monitor to a computer it should be able to do it well and it simply doesn't.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 209
What we have here is a user who does not understand the intricacies of the PC's integration with a TV.

- It's not Vizio's fault. TVs are NOT meant to be connected to a PC, and if you do, you better know what you're doing.
- It's not Dell's fault. TVs are NOT meant to be connected to a PC, and if you do, you better know what you're doing.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
@ VBB Well I finally dragged all the computer stuff out to the living room to test them before I put the cords thru the walls. There is only one HDMI port on this computer. There is no second port. I thought there might be after the suggestions here but after close inspection it does not.
I do think that the Vizio M65, like my HP monitors, if they say it can do something like be a monitor to a computer it should be able to do it well and it simply doesn't.
Keep the TV connected to the HDMI port of your computer and try the following.

I assume you're running windows. If so, right-click on your desktop and select the Nvidia or other display control panel.

After the control panel opens, click on "change resolution".

On the window that opens, is your Vizio TV identified?

On the drop-down list of available resolutions, select 1080p or 1920 x 1080 (native) and also, if available, select a refresh rate of 60Hz. Then hit "apply" or the equivalent.

If the TV accepts that output, go ahead and test the TV on anything you like and report back here what happens.

Edit.
Is this your owner's manual?
http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/m65c1/um-m65c1.pdf
If so, on page 25, under "adjust the picture settings", note that there is available "computer mode" which "optimizes the pictuer settings for displaying computer output". I suggest using that setting.

Make sure you connect to the yellow HDMI port on your TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: Vizio.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 24.8 KB
ID: 1236601

Last edited by Herve; 02-07-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
Please post a photo of the back of your computer with all the cables connected.
Exactly what I was thinking.

OP, does the back of your computer look like this?

The HDMI port between the USB and DVI ports is not likely to work if you're plugging your monitors into ports below the audio jacks. That means you're using an expansion card and the onboard video ports are disabled.

You may need to get a new video card to do what you're wanting to do.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post
What we have here is a user who does not understand the intricacies of the PC's integration with a TV.

- It's not Vizio's fault. TVs are NOT meant to be connected to a PC, and if you do, you better know what you're doing.
- It's not Dell's fault. TVs are NOT meant to be connected to a PC, and if you do, you better know what you're doing.
Well my friend your comment should be removed since it adds nothing to this discussion at all. You are wrong, Vizio provides settings for computer but the software is sub par with this tv on so many levels. Since you have no idea about this computer or tv it is a waste of time talking to you. Please remove your comment.
Osirus23 likes this.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtscribe View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.

OP, does the back of your computer look like this?

The HDMI port between the USB and DVI ports is not likely to work if you're plugging your monitors into ports below the audio jacks. That means you're using an expansion card and the onboard video ports are disabled.

You may need to get a new video card to do what you're wanting to do.
Yes that is what it looks like. You are right about the HDMI. I am thinking about either returning the tv or getting a computer solely for the Vizio to stream from but my fear is that the software that Vizio uses is so sub par that no computer is going to work with it well. I refuse to call Vizio anymore since the staff is clueless and refers me to this forum. One supervisor was just awful! I am also looking at the LG 7700 with WebOS too to replace the M65.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Keep the TV connected to the HDMI port of your computer and try the following.

I assume you're running windows. If so, right-click on your desktop and select the Nvidia or other display control panel.

After the control panel opens, click on "change resolution".

On the window that opens, is your Vizio TV identified?

On the drop-down list of available resolutions, select 1080p or 1920 x 1080 (native) and also, if available, select a refresh rate of 60Hz. Then hit "apply" or the equivalent.

If the TV accepts that output, go ahead and test the TV on anything you like and report back here what happens.

Edit.
Is this your owner's manual?
http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/m65c1/um-m65c1.pdf
If so, on page 25, under "adjust the picture settings", note that there is available "computer mode" which "optimizes the pictuer settings for displaying computer output". I suggest using that setting.

Make sure you connect to the yellow HDMI port on your TV.
Hi Herve, I have two desktops each with large monitors and thought I could use the HDMI connection from one desktop to stream tv with. Clearly that is out now with the HDMI is a dead end as it has been pointed out below.

So I need to find a computer that will work with Vizio or get an LG tv with WebOS. I can also return the Vizio to Costco they have a 90 day return policy. I am concerned that Vizio is just not bothering to do small software updates and I just wonder if I connect a computer to it they will eventually fight each other because of Vizio's approach to slapping together sub part software and not making fixes.

The reason I say it is sub par is because so many reviewers have stated how they hate the soap opera settings and Vizio doesn't even provide a movie picture settings in their pictures settings. They will have a Vivid setting and computer setting etc but not the one that so many are complaining about! In fact, when I contacted Vizio a Level III support guy told me to go to this forum for help with the movie setting. Seriously?

Second sub par software reason is the fact that my old cheap digital converter helps me much more figuring out where to point my antenna than the software in the Vizio. It will tell me how strong the signal is for each station by %s, but the Visio doesn't tell me how strong they are specifically so finding the sweet spot is not easy at all and finally you just kind of give up not really knowing. I couldn't believe this!

Visio marketed this TV and said it had a Rhapsody app. It doesn't. In fact, they pulled it back in 2/2015 per Vizio support. But I just bought it! They claim Rhapsody didn't provide updates but it would appear it may have more to do with licensing. They say it will be back "soon" but they have no idea when soon is. It has already been a year now. But the lack of app they advertised was sub par for this buyer. Don't say you have it when you don't! They don't have it.

I live in PNW and it rains a lot here and heavy rain is common. So now with fancy digital signals we have more problems since the signal just gets stopped by sheets of rain. So we end up streaming more when we can't get a decent signal. I know big telecom complains that everyone is using Netflix and clogging the dsl lines but I do think that digital is sub par for us who have lots of rain and we defer to streaming because of we can't pull in the station we wanted to watch. So if digital is all or nothing and not reliable due to weather conditions then I would think all tvs should all have browsers so we can stream from PBS when the towers aren't able to get the signal thru the rain or wind or _____. To not address the obvious with all this is just part of the bigger problem with the industry.

When Vizio has settings for tv hook up then it really should work well. I should be able to hook it up like any other monitor. But they don't provide the handshake software to do that. So folks come here to find a work around. I think their claims are misleading. Much like the Rhapsody app.

I knew Vizio had a very bad rep with Costco when I had called them years back and asked them which tvs were coming back the most for issues and without a hesitation it was Vizio. I decided never to be lured by their low prices. But the reviews for this one was so stellar I had to give it a try. I just think if this is the best they can do right now and it has reviewers saying this is the best we have, I don't think that is saying much really. I am really torn on what to do with all this. I must not be the only one who is frustrated with all this. I had held out a long time waiting for them to put a darn motherboard in a tv for 20 years and still not many of them have done this with of all things a LCD.

I have no confidence in the company right now on so many levels. Do I buy a computer and how long will tv cooperate with the computer till the computer's updates move on and the tv doesn't? Do I get an LG or other tv with web browser? Must we all be computer geeks to make work arounds to just browse and stream online from a tv? I really don't know what the answer is and that is why I have been away from this for about two weeks since I am sick of having to deal with all this, spending so much time and money and just getting exasperated. I know they don't give a you know what about me and this sale but I have a feeling many are also in the same boat as me on all this and completely avoid it.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Well my friend your comment should be removed since it adds nothing to this discussion at all. You are wrong, Vizio provides settings for computer but the software is sub par with this tv on so many levels. Since you have no idea about this computer or tv it is a waste of time talking to you. Please remove your comment.
Agreed. Comment is total trash. Either he hasn't used a PC or a TV since 1995 or he just doesn't know anything about what he's talking about.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Hi Herve, I have two desktops each with large monitors and thought I could use the HDMI connection from one desktop to stream tv with. Clearly that is out now with the HDMI is a dead end as it has been pointed out below.
I have an XPS 8500 running latest Win 10. The add-on video card is an Nvidia Gefore GT620. The 620 is connected to a 5 year old Sharp Aquos 1080p LED TV and the TV/computer combo has worked perfectly. I believe that your Vizio just might work perfectly if everything is set correctly. Let's take it step by step.

First, on your 8700 find "System information", then select "components" then "display". Please report back what make and model expansion video card you have.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have an XPS 8500 running latest Win 10. The add-on video card is an Nvidia Gefore GT620. The 620 is connected to a 5 year old Sharp Aquos 1080p LED TV and the TV/computer combo has worked perfectly. I believe that your Vizio just might work perfectly if everything is set correctly. Let's take it step by step.

First, on your 8700 find "System information", then select "components" then "display". Please report back what make and model expansion video card you have.
Thank you Herve,

I have a Dell XPS 8700 i7 1GB graphics Win 7 pro, it has a Nvidia Geforce GTX650 Ti video card. I have a 1TB hard drive. 16 GB of ram. At the time when I bought it in 2014, I ordered it with the maximum umph so it will keep up with the programs longer. I currently use two HP Pavillion 27xi monitors on that desktop. This is my newest of two desktops that I use.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thank you Herve,

I have a Dell XPS 8700 i7 1GB graphics Win 7 pro, it has a Nvidia Geforce GTX650 Ti video card. I have a 1TB hard drive. 16 GB of ram. At the time when I bought it in 2014, I ordered it with the maximum umph so it will keep up with the programs longer. I currently use two HP Pavillion 27xi monitors on that desktop. This is my newest of two desktops that I use.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you Herve,

Have you downloaded the latest Nvida drivers for that card? If not, right click on the Nvida symbol in the lower right system tray and select "check for updates". Report back when those drivers are up to date.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yes the driver is up to date. I just doubled checked it.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yes the driver is up to date. I just doubled checked it.
What display devices are connected to your 8700 at present?
Old 02-17-2016, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What display devices are connected to your 8700 at present?
both hp 27xi are but I can disconnect them.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
both hp 27xi are but I can disconnect them.
Right-click on the desktop, select Nvidia control panel; report back what the identified monitor is and the resolution and Hz setting at present.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Right-click on the desktop, select Nvidia control panel; report back what the identified monitor is and the resolution and Hz setting at present.
Both monitors are 1080P 1920 x 1080 (native) 60hz
Old 02-17-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Both monitors are 1080P 1920 x 1080 (native) 60hz
Is anything connected to the HDMI port on the Nvidia card?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is anything connected to the HDMI port on the Nvidia card?
No
Old 02-17-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
No
Via a good HDMI cable, connect the Nvidia HDMI port to the gold-colored HDMI port on the back of the Vizio TV and turn on the TV.

Last edited by Herve; 02-17-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Via a good HDMI cable, connect the Nvidia HDMI port to the gold-colored HDMI port on the back of the Vizio TV and turn on the TV.
had to move it all out to the living room. So one of the hp 27xi now has a significant yellow cast to it the other one is normal and the tv is a bunch of pixeled lined images and can't make anything out. This is what I ran up against before. Actually both monitors now have a yellow cast.

Last edited by Goosebumps; 02-17-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
had to move it all out to the living room. So one of the hp 27xi now has a significant yellow cast to it the other one is normal and the tv is a bunch of pixeled lined images and can't make anything out. This is what I ran up against before. Actually both monitors now have a yellow cast.
Just exactly where on the computer are the two HP monitors connected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Dell , hdmi , streaming , Vizio , xps 8700