• 1 Post By ajkrishock
  • 1 Post By TheCoder
Old 05-13-2015, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Will it be easy to switch from Fios to Comcast?

I am moving next month to a house that has access to both, but it currently wired up for Fios.

A great 2 year deal popped up in my Comcast account today and I would like to call them and lock that in.

I wish I would have been more careful to check, but I didn't notice any Comcast lines - just the Verizon equipment box in the basement.

Should there still be a Comcast line running into the house somewhere, or could that have been discarded by the Verizon installer?

I don't really care what the lines themselves are connected to - I will run ethernet everywhere any send my cable that way. I'm just hopping I can self install when I move.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 122
It should be fairly easy since you have the RG6 cable installed. However I would recommend a professional installation by Comcast since the wiring coming into the house needs to be reconfigured. I would also recommend getting your own DOSIS 3 modem to avoid paying the $10 per month rental fee.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:38 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
It should be fairly easy since you have the RG6 cable installed.
How do you know that's certain (not that it may or may not matter)?

Quote:
However I would recommend a professional installation by Comcast since the wiring coming into the house needs to be reconfigured.
Comcast would need to do that anyway (if necessary).

Quote:
I would also recommend getting your own DOSIS 3 modem to avoid paying the $10 per month rental fee.
Depending on the "2 year deal", perhaps the modem is free.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Comcast...worst rated company in America...should be easy to switch to them but leaving them will be another story! And I would suggest buying a modem...the less you can give Scumcast the better!

A Comcast customer service representative was caught on audio last week keeping a customer on the phone for an extended period of time as he repeatedly asked the individual why he would want to disconnect his service. According to caller, the representative “got straight up belligerent” and was “aggressively repeating his questions” instead of canceling their service — so much so that after 10 minutes his wife eventually handed the phone over to him and he started recording.

http://theblaze.com/stories/2014...mcast-service/
jazzycat likes this.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I have a modem and cablecard. I will be moving in stages, so I'm not sure when I will actually want to start service. So I was hoping to find a line somewhere, run it to the basement where I am going to keep my server and all that jazz, and just call and have it activated.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
I think most cable companies require a truck roll for new service, regardless of whether it's actually needed. And you'll have to get a new cable card from Comcast. So I don't think you can get everything done with just a phone call.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

^^ It probably depends on the property then. I've moved twice since 2010 and took my cablecard with me both times.

I thought part of the rational for eliminating clearqam was so they didn't have to send techs out to cap the lines when people canceled their tv service, kept internet, and still had access to the channels via clearqam.

But given that the home hasn't had service with Comcast for some time perhaps they cap it to prevent ingress or something like that.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I am moving next month to a house that has access to both, but it currently wired up for Fios.

A great 2 year deal popped up in my Comcast account today and I would like to call them and lock that in.

I wish I would have been more careful to check, but I didn't notice any Comcast lines - just the Verizon equipment box in the basement.

Should there still be a Comcast line running into the house somewhere, or could that have been discarded by the Verizon installer?

I don't really care what the lines themselves are connected to - I will run ethernet everywhere any send my cable that way. I'm just hopping I can self install when I move.
If I'm you, I call up Verizon and tell them about Comcast's mighty tempting offer. See if you can squeeze some discounts out of 'em. That's the great thing about having competing cable operators. You can always play one off against the other.

Just about every home and apartment complex in the country has RG6 installed. Verizon makes use of it, too so they wouldn't remove it.
jazzycat likes this.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
At my cable company, the cable card belongs to them, and you are only leasing it. So you can't take it with you, unless you don't mind paying a penalty for failing to return equipment.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post
If I'm you, I call up Verizon and tell them about Comcast's mighty tempting offer. See if you can squeeze some discounts out of 'em. That's the great thing about having competing cable operators. You can always play one off against the other.

Just about every home and apartment complex in the country has RG6 installed. Verizon makes use of it, too so they wouldn't remove it.
What he said. I wish I had the opportunity you have, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't care! I would just go with FIOS. But really, try and get a better from Verizon given the leverage you have now.
jazzycat likes this.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I don't know how comcast rates where you live, but comcast SUCKS as a company, and if I could have a different high speed service I would. I've already called them THREE times today because of the signal dropping out. They rewired my house both inside and outside about 5-6 years ago because of crappy TV reception (I had the regional manager on speed dial and he came to our house personally when we called) yet still the signal on TV was awful, so got rid of comcast tv and my sister got direct tv and I got roku boxes. NOT sorry! (Still have comcast internet out of necessity though.) Our city almost threw them out as a cable/internet provider 2-3 years ago because the service was so bad, but for some weird reason didn't. The service still sucks. In addition, they've started using data caps. I got a warning for the first time today that I'm almost at my limit, but I've been streaming less than normal. What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement