Forum Jump:
Old 06-21-2016, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Soundbar to Subwoofer Connection Help

Hello all,

I have a basic Insignia soundbar (Model: NS-SB316) that has a "sub out" port. I also have a decent subwoofer with the RCA (red/white) ports. Now, I've tried single to double RCA cables and splitters yet nothing I use connects the sub to the soundbar. What cable do I need to use? Am I doing something wrong? All help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2016, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What model subwoofer is it?
Old 06-21-2016, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post
What model subwoofer is it?
It's a Monoprice 12-Inch 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer, Black. Product # 9723.

It has 2 sets of RCA (red/white) ports. One for line-in and one for line-out.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:58 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshah500
... I have a basic Insignia soundbar (Model: NS-SB316) that has a "sub out" port. I also have a decent subwoofer with the RCA (red/white) ports. Now, I've tried single to double RCA cables and splitters yet nothing I use connects the sub to the soundbar.
Using a splitter should work: Subwoofer out on the soundbar to both inputs on the sub.

What do you mean "nothing ... connects the sub to the soundbar"? Are you saying there's no sound coming out of the subwoofer?

If so, for starters have you...
- turned up the gain (volume) to half; and
- maxed out the low-pass filter (LPF or "crossover")...
...on the sub?

Also, have you tried using the soundbar's:
- DSP "Theater" mode; or
- BASS button?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Using a splitter should work: Subwoofer out on the soundbar to both inputs on the sub.

What do you mean "nothing ... connects the sub to the soundbar"? Are you saying there's no sound coming out of the subwoofer?

If so, for starters have you...
- turned up the gain (volume) to half; and
- maxed out the low-pass filter (LPF or "crossover")...
...on the sub?

Also, have you tried using the soundbar's:
- DSP "Theater" mode; or
- BASS button?
Yep, I've used both types of cables. One that simply has rca mono on one end that plugs into the soundbar and red/white on the other end for the sub. And then I bought a splitter to use with a regular old rca cable that had a male mono on one end for the soundbar and red/white female on the other for a regular rca cable. No luck with either cable.

Eventually I figured it may be something wrong with the soundbar so I exchanged it, but still no dice. And I know the sub works because I hooked it up to my TV's audio red/white ports with a regular rca cable and it worked.

I have tried adjusting the knobs on the sub as well as using the DSP "Theater" mode and BASS button on the soundbar.

Would you be able to link the cable(s) you are referring to and I could tell you if I've tried them?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:17 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 2025
It sounds like there's some sort of setting in the soundbar that needs to be activated in order for signal to get sent to the sub. I don't recall seeing anything in the soundbar's owner's manual when I quickly scanned it earlier. Weird.

Quote:
... Would you be able to link the cable(s) you are referring to and I could tell you if I've tried them?
I was referring to the splitter you said you used.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
It sounds like there's some sort of setting in the soundbar that needs to be activated in order for signal to get sent to the sub. I don't recall seeing anything in the soundbar's owner's manual when I quickly scanned it earlier. Weird.
Yeah, I've looked as well and have found nothing. I even ordered another splitter in case the original was defective. Am I just screwed in this particular scenario? If I had enough posts I could link what cables I've used thus far.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

It's so frustrating because I've exhausted all resources and spent so much in random cables that don't even work (haha)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:36 AM

All good suggestions here. If you haven't tried it, connect the sub-out on the bar to one of the line-in RCA's on the subwoofer (try both the L and the R) via a standard, single RCA cable (no splitter). If you have the power switch on "auto", try moving it to just "on". Lastly, ensure that your signals going into the soundbar (TV/cablebox/DVD/etc) aren't somehow limiting the bass output.

Kipa
Old 06-21-2016, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
All good suggestions here. If you haven't tried it, connect the sub-out on the bar to one of the line-in RCA's on the subwoofer (try both the L and the R) via a standard, single RCA cable (no splitter). If you have the power switch on "auto", try moving it to just "on". Lastly, ensure that your signals going into the soundbar (TV/cablebox/DVD/etc) aren't somehow limiting the bass output.
I have tried using a regular rca cable and plugged in red and then white into the soundbar, but can try that again when I get home. In addition, the sub power has been on the "on" mode, not "auto". And the audio signals I have going to the soundbar is an xbox one. Not sure how to check if it limits the bass output..?

My setup consists on optical audio going from an xbox one to the soundbar. And then I was hoping to have the soundbar connect to the subwoofer. As a temporary workaround, I tried just simply connecting the sub to the TV (instead of the soundbar) red/white audio outputs but no sound comes out of them if the input on the TV is set to HDMI (which is is for the xbox one). I wish that signal came out of the TV red/white audio ports when set to HDMI because then I wouldn't even care to try connecting the sub to the soundbar.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Also, when I use that first cable I linked, I can in fact hear that faint buzzing sound you hear when connecting audio equipment. Not sure how to best describe it, but maybe it'll help to know.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you haven't tried it, connect the sub-out on the bar to one of the line-in RCA's on the subwoofer (try both the L and the R) via a standard, single RCA cable (no splitter)
When you say "standard, sing RCA cable" do you mean something like this: https://amazon.com/Monoprice-1-5...ords=rca+cable ?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshah500 View Post
When you say "standard, sing RCA cable" do you mean something like this: https://amazon.com/Monoprice-1-5...ords=rca+cable ?
Yes, that would work. Just use one of the sets of the plugs (the red or the white). I was thinking splitting the signal might be causing the issue.

Kipa
Old 06-22-2016, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

No luck with any of the suggestions. I appreciate all the help, guys. Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Update: I bought another 1 to 2 rca cable and plugged it in. I can feel the faintest vibrations from the subwoofer, but it doesn't get any better the more I turn the dials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement