Forum Jump:
Old 12-29-2015, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Audio cutting out with Samsung Soundbar on TV-ARC

So my parents just purchased a Samsung 60" 4k TV (model: UN60JU6500F) and a Samsung Soundbar (model: HW-J6000).

I have an HDMI cable running from my cable box into HDMI 1, and then I have an HDMI cable running from HDMI 3 (TV-ARC) to the HDMI ARC port on the soundbar.

Frustratingly, the audio will be fine for a bit and then it will just completely cut out. I cant seem to consistently reproduce it, and it doesn't occur after a set amount of time. Sometimes 1 minute in, sometimes 10 minutes in, sometimes when changing a channel, sometimes when turning Sports mode on or off, sometimes when doing nothing at all.

I know there are other ways to connect the soundbar, via Optical or the Soundcasting (I think it's called, the wireless audio casting), but I'd love to figure out the ARC method, so that my parents are only using one TV remote. They get a bit overwhelmed with multiple remotes, so I'd only like to use those other options as a last resort.

Can anyone offer some insight why this might be happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 08:39 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 191
HDMI-CEC used for ARC can be a bit flaky. I'd recommend trying an optical connection as a test. (And turn off HDMI Control for the test.) If you get steady audio, you'll know the problem is related to using ARC. If the same thing happens, then the problem is probably related to the TV itself.

You can also test connecting the cable box directly to the soundbar rather than routing it through the TV. If the same thing happens in that test, you'll know the problem is the output of the cable box itself or something in the soundbar.

Do you get good audio if you just use the TV speakers?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 85
A friend of mine purchased a Samsung TV recently, not sure which model, and an LG sound bar. He complained of audio dropouts, too, but his sound bar had optical only. He believed his issue to be the sound bar, not the TV.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
HDMI-CEC used for ARC can be a bit flaky. I'd recommend trying an optical connection as a test. (And turn off HDMI Control for the test.) If you get steady audio, you'll know the problem is related to using ARC. If the same thing happens, then the problem is probably related to the TV itself.

You can also test connecting the cable box directly to the soundbar rather than routing it through the TV. If the same thing happens in that test, you'll know the problem is the output of the cable box itself or something in the soundbar.

Do you get good audio if you just use the TV speakers?

I may have found the solution based on a post I found on Reddit

It seems that ARC may have some problems with Dolby Digital format. After changing the audio format coming from the TV to the soundbar via ARC to PCM, it seems to have fixed the issue.

It's a bit disappointing though, as the audio doesnt sound nearly as full
Old 12-31-2015, 02:35 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 191
PCM is limited to stereo over the connection you are using. If you were actually getting DD 5.1 with the other setting, that would explain the difference in surround.

Have you tried any of the recommended tests? Lots of people use ARC to feed DD 5.1 and most don't have the problem you are experiencing. So, it's not like ARC and Dolby are necessarily incompatible. If it were me, I'd try to determine the cause of the problem, which can help lead to an effective fix.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by admile3 View Post
So my parents just purchased a Samsung 60" 4k TV (model: UN60JU6500F) and a Samsung Soundbar (model: HW-J6000).

I have an HDMI cable running from my cable box into HDMI 1, and then I have an HDMI cable running from HDMI 3 (TV-ARC) to the HDMI ARC port on the soundbar.

Frustratingly, the audio will be fine for a bit and then it will just completely cut out. I cant seem to consistently reproduce it, and it doesn't occur after a set amount of time. Sometimes 1 minute in, sometimes 10 minutes in, sometimes when changing a channel, sometimes when turning Sports mode on or off, sometimes when doing nothing at all.

I know there are other ways to connect the soundbar, via Optical or the Soundcasting (I think it's called, the wireless audio casting), but I'd love to figure out the ARC method, so that my parents are only using one TV remote. They get a bit overwhelmed with multiple remotes, so I'd only like to use those other options as a last resort.

Can anyone offer some insight why this might be happening?
I'm having similar problems since a few weeks. I have a Samsung 6 series TV and a Samsung Soundbar FW750 connected using HDMI ARC. It worked fine for almost a year. Since a few weeks, sometimes the sound cuts out. Power off / on off the soundbar fixes the problem. There were a couple of firmware updates for the TV and Soundbar, I suspect some bug sneaked in. It is really annoying.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your manual explains the correct connections for your situation. HDMI out from your cable box to HDMI in on the soundbar. THEN HDMI out from the soundbar to the HDMI ARC input on the TV. I have a SAmsung TV and a Vizio soundbar and the sequence is the same and works great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement