Forum Jump:
Old 07-07-2011, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have several 3D SBS .mkv movie files on my USB external portable hard drive. Can I hook up the USB external portable hard drive to the PS3 and be able to play the 3D SBS .mkv files and display it in 3D on my passive 3D capable HDTV? These 3D SBS .mkv files are around 6 GB - 8 GB in size. My TV is the Toshiba 55TL515U that does passive 3D.

Oh, also, my PS3 is jailbroken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

No one use this method to watch 3D movies?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

No one use this method to watch 3D movies?

I don't know about the PS3 but if you have a media player that supports MKV files a device put out by monoprice accepts 3D side by side half and will pass them through to your TV as side by side. I'm interested in getting some 3D side by side source material to try out with the one I have. How did you get the movies if you don't mind sharing.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Liked: 11
Not going to work. The PS3 doesn't support MKV files and can only recognize FAT32 formatted USB hard drives.

You can get around the MKV support issue by using MKV2VOB to convert the files but not the Fat32 issue where you can't have files bigger than 4 GB.

The best way to do it is to convert the files with MKV2VOB and throw them on a Network HDD with DLNA capability. If you buy a network HDD, make sure it has gigabit ehternet and you can wire it to your router (with files over 8 GB, I find streaming wirelessly to be completely useless).
Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

How did you get the movies if you don't mind sharing.

My relatives and my friends have 3D blu-ray movies and they let me borrow them. I then convert them to 3D sbs .mkv files then store them on my usb hard drive. I only have an old fat playstation 3 and a Dune media streamer player but I don't have a 3D TV yet (it is on order). That is why I cannot test out my sbs 3D .mkv yet. I was hoping that someone has some experience with .mkv sbs 3D and PS3.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancomycin View Post

My relatives and my friends have 3D blu-ray movies and they let me borrow them. I then convert them to 3D sbs .mkv files then store them on my usb hard drive. I only have an old fat playstation 3 and a Dune media streamer player but I don't have a 3D TV yet (it is on order). That is why I cannot test out my sbs 3D .mkv yet. I was hoping that someone has some experience with .mkv sbs 3D and PS3.

If they are sbs half 3D then a media player that supports MKV files can play them through the monoprice 3D converter and output them in anaglyph or side by side or 3D dlp I believe. What program did you use to convert the movies?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post
What program did you use to convert the movies?
I use DVDFab.

Here is the link:

http://dvdfab.com/tutorial/conve...-ray-3d-to-mkv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement