HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World > EXCELLENT 4x HDMI Switcher: PS3 Rocketfish $59.95
PalmBeachKURO's Avatar PalmBeachKURO 04:02 PM 05-22-2009
We are down several AV depots nationally, but still have Best Buy. I am well seasoned and can find what I need on line, but occasionally I like to just go out and 'pay retail' for an item. (i.e. need it now) and when I feel nostalgic and don't want another local store to fold. Even better when its actually a good deal.

Best Buy has an excellent 1080p 4x HDMI switcher (4 in / 1 out) box with a remote for $59.95. Its actually in the video game aisle with the PS3 equipment. Its a Rocketfish PS3 HDMI switcher. (The guys in the BB Magnolia wing didn't even know they carried it. Magnolia has a $100 3x switcher without remote. I went back over for a price check with them to let them know I knew the store better than they did... not hard.) I know you can find cheaper on line... but this is local, and works perfect. PLUS you can always go back to BB and exchange anything you don't like.

The PS3 Rocketfish HDMI switcher will auto switch to the latest input (i.e. you turn on your cable box) And has a nice little remote.

Works perfect at 1080p and have had no problems with audio either.

Complete deal.... FYI

Steve O's Avatar Steve O 10:47 PM 06-06-2009
I always find it somewhat dubious when someone comes in, posts a rave review of a product (with big caps in the subject of course) and then disappears.

That said, has anyone used this? I'm getting a little tired fighting with my Monoprice 4x1 and I'd like one that "just works" and at this point, I'm willing to pay more for that.

OH, and it's $100, not $60.

-Steve
rov120's Avatar rov120 08:36 PM 06-10-2009
I went into best buy a couple weeks ago looking for an hdmi switch and they had this. It was $60 at the best buy I went to. It is a 4 in 1 out hdmi switch with remote and auto switching. It works very well and I am happy with it. The auto switching is probably the best part because I can turn on my 360, play some games, and when I turn it off, it auto switches back to my cable box.

I would recommend getting this if you need a good quality hdmi switch.
terrer's Avatar terrer 10:16 PM 01-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rov120 View Post

I went into best buy a couple weeks ago looking for an hdmi switch and they had this. It was $60 at the best buy I went to. It is a 4 in 1 out hdmi switch with remote and auto switching. It works very well and I am happy with it. The auto switching is probably the best part because I can turn on my 360, play some games, and when I turn it off, it auto switches back to my cable box.

I would recommend getting this if you need a good quality hdmi switch.

Hi........I know this thread is old but the Price of the above Item is $99.95...same Item as you described above at the BEST BUY in Fort Smith Arkansas! Woweeeeee! I STILL DON'T HAVE ONE!!!!HA
radical67's Avatar radical67 01:00 PM 06-04-2010
Bought the rocketfish, 4 hdmi last week, thought it was great however started to notice glitches when playing our ps3, unplugged the rocket and everything is back to normal. I will return to BB, and look for somthing else.

mitsubishi hc3800, onkyo reciever,and MP in wall and ceiling 8" speakers, love it all, couldnt be happier with our 110"
taskman's Avatar taskman 01:21 PM 06-04-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by radical67 View Post

Bought the rocketfish, 4 hdmi last week, thought it was great however started to notice glitches when playing our ps3, unplugged the rocket and everything is back to normal. I will return to BB, and look for somthing else.

mitsubishi hc3800, onkyo reciever,and MP in wall and ceiling 8" speakers, love it all, couldnt be happier with our 110"

Exactly, that is why I researched the hell out of HDMI Switches a couple years ago. If you going to rely on HDMI getting to the display device, you can't go with a cheap brand but you don't have to go with an expensive one either.

Check out Oppo, they make some of the best. I game ALOT and have had no issues with lag, quality, etc. I also did a TON of research before I bought mine and what I found is most of them are complete junk. Take auto sensing, it seems simple, but most of the switches that have it fail to do it every time.
FJPalacio's Avatar FJPalacio 08:16 PM 06-05-2010
Folks

Learning about HDMI at a very fast rate

A simple question, based on your enthusiastic review of these switches, etc.

Is the HDMI port on a Laptop ONLY an "OUT" port... or does it flow 'both ways' much like a FireWire would?

Why?

A Customer wants to ramp up the quality on the Live Streaming we do, Webcams are out of the question, heard about older DV Camcorders being able to feed much like a Webcam would - but he has newer gear all over the place, so going 'back' to a FireWire device would be a rollback of sorts.

We are about to buy the HD DV Camcorders, but we're puzzled with this portion of the setup; and why am I asking under a "switch" thread?

'cuz by now we think that we may be able to 'feed' multiple Camcorders into the single port... of course, if it's a two-way kinda deal, and NOT an "OUT" port as some have mentioned elsewhere.

Either way, appreciate everyone's time... Thanks

Francisco
@Papparazzos on Twitter
christ976's Avatar christ976 02:31 PM 07-31-2010
I also need a 4 to 1 switch with auto sensing and there are a slew of them out there on the internet. Who makes the good ones, which ones do 1.3 category 2 bandwidth? I'm going to buy the rocketfish one from best buy and test it out though im leary of the quality. Im getting a new sony bravia ex700 and want to connect it via hdmi to an apple tv, xbox 360, sony bluray player, and a time warner cable box. I will post my results and return the rocketfish if im not satisfied with the automatic switching ability as well as the quality. My other option is spending the money for a good sony receiver that switches hdmi but i dont want to spend 400, and i like 6.1 surround, makes more sense to me than stupid 7.1, 4 speakers in back 3 in front setup, more sound comes from the front anyway, or even more dumb 5 in front 2 in back. 9.1 makes sense but i cant aford all those speakers.
Fanaticalism's Avatar Fanaticalism 09:16 PM 11-18-2010
Has anyone had any issues with no audio over source components and signal at all with a bd player? I am on my second one and am experiencing the same thing. If I go direct to display I have no issues.
Mamasboy's Avatar Mamasboy 10:36 AM 12-25-2010
Being Christmas I have a feeling more people will be needing an extra HDMI input.

My Pioneer Elite receiver has 4 HDMI inputs which I figured would be enough but nope.

With 2 DVRs, xbox, Blu Ray, and now I have a Dune Media Streamer from Mr. Clause with no open HDMI port to plug it in. Short term I'll manually swap the blu ray HDMI up to the media streamer. But I am looking for something more permanent. I saw a Mediabridge - 3 Port Smart HDMI Switch over at Amazon that looks like it could do the job.

Any other suggestions?
JTAnderson's Avatar JTAnderson 02:00 PM 12-26-2010
I have the sneaking hunch that almost all of these 4 or 5 port $50 - $100 HDMI switches are pretty much the same inside. (I've read that the 5-port Monoprice switches are built by cascading one three-port switch into a second 3-port switch.)

I had an older Monoprice 5-port switch that did not get along well with my Mitsubishi WD-73837. I upgraded to the latest rev of the Monoprice switch and had the same problems. So, I went to Fry's and found a 4-port Inland switch. Exactly the same problems, so I returned it. Went to Best Buy and got the 4-port Rocketfish switch. Same thing.

The interesting thing was that all of these switches were in essentially the same case and came with the same power adapter. The Rocketfish switch had a plastic shell around the case that made it look different, but under the shell was the same case. I'd bet if you looked inside they all had the same HDMI switch chips, if not an identical PC board.

There are some low-cost HDMI switches that may be different inside, such as those 3-port auto-switches.

(BTW, I think my real problem was with the TV, not the switches, but Mitsubishi was entirely unhelpful in the matter. I've since bought an AVR with 7 HDMI inputs and it seems to get along with the TV just fine.)
Mamasboy's Avatar Mamasboy 02:28 PM 12-26-2010
I totally forgot to check monoprice. I ordered the 3X1 Enhanced HDMI Switch with built-in Equalizer w/remote (REV.3.0) $33 shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnderson View Post

I have the sneaking hunch that almost all of these 4 or 5 port $50 - $100 HDMI switches are pretty much the same inside. (I've read that the 5-port Monoprice switches are built by cascading one three-port switch into a second 3-port switch.)

I had an older Monoprice 5-port switch that did not get along well with my Mitsubishi WD-73837. I upgraded to the latest rev of the Monoprice switch and had the same problems. So, I went to Fry's and found a 4-port Inland switch. Exactly the same problems, so I returned it. Went to Best Buy and got the 4-port Rocketfish switch. Same thing.

The interesting thing was that all of these switches were in essentially the same case and came with the same power adapter. The Rocketfish switch had a plastic shell around the case that made it look different, but under the shell was the same case. I'd bet if you looked inside they all had the same HDMI switch chips, if not an identical PC board.

There are some low-cost HDMI switches that may be different inside, such as those 3-port auto-switches.

(BTW, I think my real problem was with the TV, not the switches, but Mitsubishi was entirely unhelpful in the matter. I've since bought an AVR with 7 HDMI inputs and it seems to get along with the TV just fine.)

Up
View Full Version