Old 11-18-2007, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Zenith 42" Plasma TV

Any opinions on this model?

Model No: Z42P3( This is on the box) 42PC3DB (This is on the card in front of the TV)
UPC is 719192172609
Sticker and UPC confirm LG Electronics is maker of the TV
TV is Black matte finish

1368x768 (720p/1080i)
15,000:1 High Contrast Ratio
QAM Tuner Included
2 HDMI ports
2 Component
2 composite on back 1 on side)
3 S-Video
1 RGB
PC (VGA input)

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am wondering about this one as well.....small money for a 42" plasma...
Old 11-18-2007, 01:11 PM

i have a zenith tube 32inch hdtv.
its a great set other then the fly bacl transformer blew and it had to go into the shop, along with some caps and poor solder connections needed to be repaired.
what i was told is that zenith was sold to a korean company that went super cheap on the parts and qaulity.
i had to pay over 250$ to get the set fixed.
just a heads up

great tv tho besides the problems
the hd on the tube is great

Old 11-19-2007, 04:01 PM

Lemme guess: you guys asking about the one at Kmart? I picked one up, but have yet to open the box........
Old 11-19-2007, 04:58 PM

I also got this TV, there is no information online on its specs. Even the manual lacks a tech info page... I'd like to hear about other owners on their settings the get the most of this TV!

SD looks good. Colors are nice. HD looks good but nor as sharp and clear as in my former Westinghouse 32" inch LCD.

May be worth editing the title of this thread and put the model number and make this the official thread for the set.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:46 PM

You may find info under LG 42PC3D - this TV was made by LG who bought ought Zenith.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Check out this thread if you want some info on the quality of the 50" Zenith plasma that came out in '05. A good amount of folks have had problems with the sets "popping"....mine is still humming strong {as I knock on wood} but I wonder if there's a way to find out if this set is made from different circuit boards that have affected the 50" plasma:

/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=599668

Also---what's the warranty on the 42" set? 1 year or 2?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

Check out this thread if you want some info on the quality of the 50" Zenith plasma that came out in '05. A good amount of folks have had problems with the sets "popping"....mine is still humming strong {as I knock on wood} but I wonder if there's a way to find out if this set is made from different circuit boards that have affected the 50" plasma:

Also---what's the warranty on the 42" set? 1 year or 2?

It is only a one year warranty. I used a credit card that extends it for 2 years total. It sounds like that is the time that is breaks right around 2 years figures!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:20 AM

Has anyone tried their 42" Zenith Kmart plasma HDTV? I'd be very grateful for info, just bought it for my husband but stupidly did not get the extended warranties and wonderif I should just return it. Ahhh...but it was such an excellent deal
Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazenShelby View Post

Has anyone tried their 42" Zenith Kmart plasma HDTV? I'd be very grateful for info, just bought it for my husband but stupidly did not get the extended warranties and wonderif I should just return it. Ahhh...but it was such an excellent deal

It looks amazing! I have a rear projection Sony that looks good it doesn't compare. The colors look so much more lifelike on this TV. I might return it though sounds like it might have some popping, red sparklies issues? Not yet confirmed...
Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip1 View Post

It looks amazing! I have a rear projection Sony that looks good it doesn't compare. The colors look so much more lifelike on this TV. I might return it though sounds like it might have some popping, red sparklies issues? Not yet confirmed...

Exactly. And thanks for the response! There doesn't appear to be much data on this specific model, (that I can locate -- even on the web) only info with the 50" and the 42" EDTV. I really don't know enough about the technical stuff to make an educated decision, but again, I'd definitely appreciate advice on whether to keep it or not, as I'll need to return it and get something else for a present. Anyone, anyone????
Old 11-20-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm feeling the same way, this tv looks amazing but I keep reading about the red sparkles and pop issues on the other lg sets.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 PM

I purchased the 2 year extended warranty, so I am hoping that will cover any problems. But I still haven't opened mine. Holding out to see if there are any other good deals....
Old 11-20-2007, 07:06 PM

BrandsMart USA in FL & GA advertised the Zenith but were unable to get them so they are giving you the LG instead. I'll bet they are the same set unless they used a cheaper power supply or cutout inputs/outputs on the Zenith model? BrandsMart's price is under $700 for the LG right now.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazenShelby View Post

Exactly. And thanks for the response! There doesn't appear to be much data on this specific model, (that I can locate -- even on the web) only info with the 50" and the 42" EDTV. I really don't know enough about the technical stuff to make an educated decision, but again, I'd definitely appreciate advice on whether to keep it or not, as I'll need to return it and get something else for a present. Anyone, anyone????

I purchased the 42in Zenith on sale at KMart. It's definitely an LG. I've read that it's actually LG's 42PC5D (same panel/components) in a 42PC3D case (speakers in a different location). Looking at the 42PC5D manual on LG's website, I can verify that the menus/options are exactly the same, as are the specs (2 HDMI inputs, 15,000:1 contrast ratio, etc). I'm very impressed with the TV, particularly for the price. Mine was made in October 2007, so hopefully they fixed whatever issues caused the red sparkles that seem to plague other LG panels.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 PM

check out this review on the brother LG model:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32313257.html
Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 PM

I am really, terribly grateful for everyone's input. The Zenith certainly looks just like the LG and now SOME information is posted on Kmart's website:

Controls, Video:
Closed Captioning: Yes
On Screen Display (OSD): Yes
Clock: Yes
V-Chip Program Lockout: Yes
Dimensions:
Width: 44-1/2 in.
Depth: 13-1/10 in.
Height: 29-1/2 in.
Display, Enhancements:
Input Compatible: 1080p/1080i/720p/480i/480p
Contrast Ratio: 15000:1
Brightness: 1500 cd/m2
Display, Resolution:
Maximum Resolution: 1024 x 768
Energy:
Energy Star Compliant: Yes
Jacks, IN-OUT:
RGB 15 Pin Connector: Yes
HDMI Inputs, Number: 2
Digital Audio Output Type: Coaxial
Analog Audio Output: Yes
Analog Audio Output, Type: Fixed/Variable
Digital Audio Output: Yes
Component Input Sets, Total Number: 2
S-Video Inputs, Number: 1
Other Audio Enhancements:
Watts per Channel: 10 watts
Product Overview:
Item Weight: 69.4 lbs.
Screen Size (by diagonal measure): 42 in.
Screen Aspect Ratio: Selectable 4:3 or 16:9
HDTV: Yes
Sound, Overall Type: Stereo
Tuner Type: ATSC/NTSC (digital/analog)
Sound, Overall Type: Stereo, 2-channel basic
TV Type: Plasma
General Warranty: 1 year parts/90 days labor

"You've never seen a picture like this. Watch all of your favorite sports action come to life on this 42 in. plasma HDTV from Zenith. Its exclusive XD Engine brings your viewing to a completely new level. It takes the low resolution of analog signals and converts them to near HD levels by automatically improving brightness, contrast, detail and color, all while reducing signal noise. This, combined with other technologies, leads to cinema-like high-resolution images for your entertainment.

Image Sticking Minimization provides protective measures to minimize damage as a result of stationary images
Built-in ATSC tuner receives over-the-air digital broadcast signals and unscrambled digital cable
1024 x 768 pixel resolution; 15,000:1 contrast ratio
Extended Panel Life - 60,000 hours to half brightness
SRS TruSurround XT provides superior sound for your favorite movies and shows
Inputs: HDMI (2), RF, Composite Video (2), S-Video (2), Component Video (2), PC, RS-232C, L/R Audio (3); Outputs: Composite Video, Digital Audio, L/R Audio"

And here is the pic:

http://s7.kmart.com/is/image/Sears/0...sm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Thank you all and happy thanksgiving
Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 PM

With only a 90 Day Labor Warranty I would look into buying Extended Warranty for sure. Believe it or not, that's probably the biggest factor in them being able to drop the price of the set $200 over the LG model that comes with a 2 Year Labor Warranty. Are they still on sale at K-Mart?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 PM

Sale thru 11/21, but it appears you could buy online right now, if you wanted to take that route.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:02 AM

A lot of people on another forum have experienced burn-in with this tv, primarily from video games. Can someone point me to a thread on this site that has the detailed steps to break the tv in and prevent burn in?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasko View Post

A lot of people on another forum have experienced burn-in with this tv, primarily from video games. Can someone point me to a thread on this site that has the detailed steps to break the tv in and prevent burn in?

I bought this tv after seeing the SD post. So far what I've found out is you should put your settings on 50 or below (sharpness and contrast) for the first 100-150 hours and let nothing sit on the screen for more than minute or two. If you do and get some burn in use the "whitewash" option to clean it. Also use th option to shutdown after 10 minutes of no input and select the "Orbiter" option.

Now I need ideas on a mount for this bad boy. I've gonna try and corner mount it but the LG site shows it weighs 69lbs and most swing arm mounts hold up to 66lbs.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post

I bought this tv after seeing the SD post. So far what I've found out is you should put your settings on 50 or below (sharpness and contrast) for the first 100-150 hours and let nothing sit on the screen for more than minute or two. If you do and get some burn in use the "whitewash" option to clean it. Also use th option to shutdown after 10 minutes of no input and select the "Orbiter" option.

Now I need ideas on a mount for this bad boy. I've gonna try and corner mount it but the LG site shows it weighs 69lbs and most swing arm mounts hold up to 66lbs.

what model do you have? the 42pc5d is 54lbs without the stand. also look on monoprice's website as they ahve some good deals on mounts.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't h8 View Post

what model do you have? the 42pc5d is 54lbs without the stand. also look on monoprice's website as they ahve some good deals on mounts.

I have the one mentioned in the OP.

Model: Z42P3

When I cross referenced to the LG site they have it listed at 69lbs. With or without the stand I'm not sure. I thought the stand just flipped back up behind it and not off.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 694
http://circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...ustomerRatings

Go to this Circuit City link: Owner Reviews on the 50 inch version of the same model. Read the reviews. It looks like it may have a high early failure rate. Very risky. I would not buy one.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

http://circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...ustomerRatings

Go to this Circuit City link: Owner Reviews on the 50 inch version of the same model. Read the reviews. It looks like it may have a high early failure rate. Very risky. I would not buy one.

1 year full parts and labor plus a $50 2 year extended warranty. I've got the next 3 years covered.

:crossesfingers:
Old 11-27-2007, 07:21 PM

I have all of my settings turned down low. A few more hours of break in and I will be good to go. Currently, I have a bit of a pinkish tint to my color, especially on the local HD channels. What setting will most affect that? Also, I was in the menu option that allowed you to change the red, gree, and blue and it didn't seem to change anything-any idea?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasko View Post

I have all of my settings turned down low. A few more hours of break in and I will be good to go. Currently, I have a bit of a pinkish tint to my color, especially on the local HD channels. What setting will most affect that? Also, I was in the menu option that allowed you to change the red, gree, and blue and it didn't seem to change anything-any idea?

Under the Video setting where you have the option to set User settings make sure it's stays there. For some odd reason mine seems to switch from my preset lower settings.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 AM

Well my TV had to go back! It had 2 things wrong with it. First thing the HDMI input looked awful from Time Warner box. I tried everything to get it right. I even had 2 TWC guys out! The component out for the picture worked fine but the audio input buzzed all the time when connected. I even tried on my other TWC box on my other HDTV and it buzzed. Tried everything to fix that but no avail. I lost on a good deal too...
Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 PM

I'd like to hear from others on what their setting are currently at.........
Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM

I went into the expert settings finally and adjusted the tint from 0 up to 33--that made a HUGE difference in the color. Everything looks much better once I used the expert menu. I wonder why tint isn't accessible in the regular menu??

The only complaint I have is that some things, especially faces of people, look like they are painted or cartoonish--it's not real crisp. Anyone else experience this? Is this normal for plasmas? Right now, I only have mine hooked up to the satellite receiver with the red, yellow, white audio/video cables until I get my HDMI cable, so I'm hoping that will solve the picture problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement