Forum Jump:
Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi There,

I purchased a Panasonic Viera VT50 55" Plasma HDTV in June 2012 (now about a year and a half old), and we were watching a movie on Netflix when all of a sudden the television just shut off for no apparent reason.  I have the TV and all of the components plugged through a battery backup unit / surge protector, and there was no power outage to be noticed.  When I tried to turn the set back on, I could hear a click, but nothing would come up on the display.  I noticed that the led light next to the "POWER" label was blinking.  Turns out it blinks in cycles of 7.  I did some googling and found that it meant that there might be a hardware related issue.  So I called Panasonic and asked me to perform a number of things:

1.  To unplug everything from all the ports of the set.  Then try to turn it back on.  This did not fix the issue.

2.  To unplug the television set from the battery backup / surge protector and plug it directly to the wall outlet, then try to turn it on again.  This did not fix the issue.

3.  To use the power button on the television set to power it up.  This did not fix the issue.

The Panasonic agent said I should contact a repair person to come out and try to fix it.  Well, obviously I would rather not spend the money.  After some googling, I found that some folks just left it unplugged for a prolonged period of time and that may fix the issue, but I doubt it.  So it's unplugged now and has been for about an hour.  I am at a loss as to what to try next.  Has anybody experienced this issue?  I thought the VT series was supposed to be Panasonic's flagship model and am disappointed that the unit would be defective.

If anybody out there can offer suggestions, that would be great! 

Thanks for you help and time!

Best,

Arie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
does the warranty cover the repair?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

No.  Unfortunately the unit is out of warranty.  It's rather disappointing given that it is Panasonic flagship product and would expect a product at this price point to last at least five years if not more.  I tried plugging it in again this morning after having it unplugged overnight, but it still shows the blinking power led light.  I called an authorized repair shop and hopefully I'll know more when the diagnose it.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ah. yeah I hear ya.
hope they get it fixed up quickly.

keep me posted when you have news b/c i'm curious to see how it works out.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

The authorized repair tech came over and diagnosed that two boards on the left need replacing:  the tall, thin, scan board and the other board beneath the left fan.  I've attached a photo of the back.    He said they shorted somehow.  He was surprised that it went out in such a short time.  Estimated cost is $645 + tax.  Unbelievable.  I'll be contacting Panasonic via phone and writing to let them know how disappointed I am in their flagship plasma.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariestav View Post

The authorized repair tech came over and diagnosed that two boards on the left need replacing: the tall, thin, scan board and the other board beneath the left fan. He said they shorted somehow. Estimated cost is $645 + tax. Unbelievable.

As an alternative, you could download the service manual, look up the part numbers for the SC SU SD boards in that manual, order the boards from ShopJimmy for under $200 total, and install the boards yourself.
davemaribel likes this.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
Old 05-23-2014, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 30
so.. was this issue resolved. did panasonic help you in any case.

My Setup:
Display : LG OLED65E6P
A/V Receiver : Marantz SR6011
Console: XONE, PS4 Pro
Speakers : SVS Ultra Towers 5.1 & PB2000-NSD Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50