1 2
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Viewing Distance? What is the best distance and what is too close?
jack54's Avatar jack54 09:05 AM 04-18-2012
I have a Samsung Plasma 60" 3D HDTV.
How close to you folks sit to watch a movie, especially a 3D or Bluray on it?
Currently my couch is 10 feet from it as the manual suggested 8-12 feet.
A good friend of mine with the same TV and says it looks best up close, like only 6 feet away! Says it's like being at a movie theater that way.

So, what viewing distance do you folks use? And how high is your HDTV off the floor? Mine is 30" to bottom of TV.

TornadoTJ's Avatar TornadoTJ 09:31 AM 04-18-2012
Wikipedia has a good writeup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum...ewing_distance
From there you can also link to THX's recommendations. Note THX says 6' to 9' is optimal for a 60".

IMO, 10' is a bit far for a 60". Unfortunately, that's exactly how I'm set up, 60" and 10'.
jack54's Avatar jack54 10:09 AM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Wikipedia has a good writeup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum...ewing_distance
From there you can also link to THX's recommendations. Note THX says 6' to 9' is optimal for a 60".

IMO, 10' is a bit far for a 60". Unfortunately, that's exactly how I'm set up, 60" and 10'.

So, my friend was right about 6' being perfect for him!

That was a very good article. I'm just a tad too far. I can get to 9' OK, but then because of my living room size, there won't be room for both, my sofa and recliner if I get any closer.
8mile13's Avatar 8mile13 11:57 AM 04-18-2012
To me viewing distance where you can see all detail is ideal, when you're closer you will see artrifacts/ imperfections when you sit further away you will lose detail
/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=10

Ideally eyes are in the middle of the screen, will give the best experience.
KidHorn's Avatar KidHorn 12:13 PM 04-18-2012
10 feet seems better to me than 6'. 6' distance for a 60" is too close for me. I think I would get a headache after a while.

Plus, my wife would think sitting so close would cause cancer or something and get verification from one of her idiot friends or relatives who think they're experts on everything. So I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 12:16 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

To me viewing distance where you can see all detail is ideal, when you're closer you will see artrifacts/ imperfections when you sit further away you will lose detail
/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=10

Ideally eyes are in the middle of the screen, will give the best experience.


My seating is anywhere from 6 to 8 ft from my 46" plasma and that screen size works out very well for me. I have a very small den 10X20 Ft and any thing much larger would overwhelm the room. That's not saying larger wouldn't be better, but your over all room size among other things, should be taken into consideration. Also, the SMPTE and THX recommendations may be worth considering in a perfect world where you have perfect picture quality, but as 8mile13 eluded to, even though you will see more detail, due to data compression and other HDTV anomalies, certain artifacts such as video noise and banding will also be more noticeable the closer you get and the bigger the screen.


Ian
Dierkdr's Avatar Dierkdr 12:46 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:


How close to you folks sit to watch a movie, especially a 3D or Bluray on it?

60" ST30 (at least for a while yet): 9ft seating distance. Works great for Bluray, HDDVD, and MOST "HD" TV shows.

I prefer a secondary seating distance of around 12 feet (tall table & chairs behind primary sofa) for most "upconverted" SD DVDs & some "HD" cable programs, as that distance does a better job of hiding the flaws in such material.

Our LR TV is a 50" 720p panel, and that looks fine at our normal 10 - 12 foot viewing distance, especially as we almost exclusively use it for full 16:9 programming.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 02:01 PM 04-18-2012
47" LD520 at about 9' works for us. I think we could probably go up to 52" or 55" before it would be uncomfortably close for us.
Ace1965's Avatar Ace1965 03:39 PM 04-18-2012
Viewing distance X 5 = panel size in inches has always worked for me well.
indondiver's Avatar indondiver 04:56 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post


My seating is anywhere from 6 to 8 ft from my 46" plasma and that screen size works out very well for me. I have a very small den 10X20 Ft and any thing much larger would overwhelm the room. That's not saying larger wouldn't be better, but your over all room size among other things, should be taken into consideration. Also, the SMPTE and THX recommendations may be worth considering in a perfect world where you have perfect picture quality, but as 8mile13 eluded to, even though you will see more detail, due to data compression and other HDTV anomalies, certain artifacts such as video noise and banding will also be more noticeable the closer you get and the bigger the screen.

Ian

Don't think of it as 'overwhelming' the room. Think of the TV as the centerpiece for the room

You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll adjust to (and love) a bigger screen.
rocky1's Avatar rocky1 07:32 PM 04-18-2012
we sit 9' from 50" plasma which suits me fine.Never really tryed closer than this.I guess its of a matter of getting use to the closer distance. Maybe one day i'll try.But for now its perfect distance .As it is its on a tv stand within a wall unit thats 10' wide and my towers are on each side of the wall unit.Kind of equal distant so to speak.
Syed117's Avatar Syed117 08:56 PM 04-18-2012
There is no correct answer. Every person is different and what might seem too close for you, is perfect for someone else.

Don't go by guidelines or formulas. Sit down in front of your screen and see what feels right and what you can manage based on your room size and seating.

I have a 54 inch Panasonic and the couch is exactly 10 feet away but that's way too far for me. So when I'm the only one using the tv (especially for gaming), I pull a recliner right in front and sit very comfortably exactly 5 feet away from the screen with my legs up. Even at only 5 feet, I can take in the entire screen while still getting enough of my surroundings.
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 10:18 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

There is no correct answer. Every person is different and what might seem too close for you, is perfect for someone else.

Don't go by guidelines or formulas. Sit down in front of your screen and see what feels right and what you can manage based on your room size and seating.

I have a 54 inch Panasonic and the couch is exactly 10 feet away but that's way too far for me. So when I'm the only one using the tv (especially for gaming), I pull a recliner right in front and sit very comfortably exactly 5 feet away from the screen with my legs up. Even at only 5 feet, I can take in the entire screen while still getting enough of my surroundings.


I agree. I can do the same thing and go from my lazy boy to the end of my couch, but less then 6 feet is too close for me. It's like when you go to the movies. Some like to sit right up front and others like myself, prefer sitting several rows back from the screen.


Ian
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar Drew Eckhardt 10:28 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

I have a Samsung Plasma 60" 3D HDTV.
How close to you folks sit to watch a movie, especially a 3D or Bluray on it?
Currently my couch is 10 feet from it as the manual suggested 8-12 feet.
A good friend of mine with the same TV and says it looks best up close, like only 6 feet away! Says it's like being at a movie theater that way.

So, what viewing distance do you folks use? And how high is your HDTV off the floor? Mine is 30" to bottom of TV.

As close as practical.

11' is a good distance for a 100" 16:9 diagonal with upscaled DVDs. About 6.5' would be a nice distance at only 60" diagonal so you can have some theatrical sense of immersion.

Our 50" plasma is about 11' away which is what you get in a bedroom allowing room for a king size bed, walkway, and speakers and quite sub-optimal.
MagicTK's Avatar MagicTK 10:44 PM 04-18-2012
This site has a really nice calculator and good description of the scenario: Optimal Viewing Angle and Distance



I'm at about 11ft with a 102" 16:9 screen. I set this based on my personal preference and comfort. Later I found information about THX and other recommendations. It seems like I am at about the recommended spot for THX standard (36deg). My front row is at about 8ft, so a little wider angle (about 48deg), but still watchable.

Pick what feels best for you. Figure it out based on where you typically prefer to sit when you go to a big movie theater. My preference is toward the middle of the seating in most theaters, not too close and not too far. I do this for the picture and sound. What works for you?
jack54's Avatar jack54 10:57 PM 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTK View Post

This site has a really nice calculator and good description of the scenario: Optimal Viewing Angle and Distance



I'm at about 11ft with a 102" 16:9 screen. I set this based on my personal preference and comfort. Later I found information about THX and other recommendations. It seems like I am at about the recommended spot for THX standard (36deg). My front row is at about 8ft, so a little wider angle (about 48deg), but still watchable.

Pick what feels best for you. Figure it out based on where you typically prefer to sit when you go to a big movie theater. My preference is toward the middle of the seating in most theaters, not too close and not too far. I do this for the picture and sound. What works for you?

Lot's of great tips and suggestions here.

Can some of you post your setups in my Thread I posted last month?
Your Furnishing, Audio, Plasma Room Setup!
/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1395354
gostan's Avatar gostan 04:04 AM 04-19-2012
I am @ 9 feet with my Panny 58 " plasma. I have played with my couch at the suggested 6.1 Foot suggested optimal THX viewing distance, but I find that although this watching position is more immersive for blu-ray movies, that the downside is that this position is also too close to the front speakers (even with an adjustment of distance in Anthem ARC).
glum's Avatar glum 12:30 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

10 feet seems better to me than 6'. 6' distance for a 60" is too close for me. I think I would get a headache after a while.

Plus, my wife would think sitting so close would cause cancer or something and get verification from one of her idiot friends or relatives who think they're experts on everything. So I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.

lol so funny
jack54's Avatar jack54 01:36 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

10 feet seems better to me than 6'. 6' distance for a 60" is too close for me. I think I would get a headache after a while.

Plus, my wife would think sitting so close would cause cancer or something and get verification from one of her idiot friends or relatives who think they're experts on everything. So I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.

Ain't being married with in-laws and her friends... FUN! I know ALL about it. LOL
freeman4's Avatar freeman4 12:13 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

10 feet seems better to me than 6'. 6' distance for a 60" is too close for me. I think I would get a headache after a while.

Plus, my wife would think sitting so close would cause cancer or something and get verification from one of her idiot friends or relatives who think they're experts on everything. So I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.

I trust I am not laughing at your expense, KidHorn, but I found your comments to be extremely amusing.

I weigh in at 8-10' from a 50" plasma depending on recliner position.
KidHorn's Avatar KidHorn 01:25 PM 04-20-2012
I meant it to be funny. Funny and True at the same time.
jack54's Avatar jack54 01:34 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I meant it to be funny. Funny and True at the same time.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus
Yet we can't live without them!
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 03:53 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus
Yet we can't live without them!

....or as my daddy used to say, you can't live with 'em and you can't shoot 'em.
jack54's Avatar jack54 03:54 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

....or as my daddy used to say, you can't live with 'em and you can't shoot 'em.

...and when I told my Grandpa I can't figure out my wife, he said: "Heck, I've been married to mine for nearly 60 years and STILL can't figure her out...."
TIME2PLAYDAGAME's Avatar TIME2PLAYDAGAME 04:01 PM 04-20-2012
I usually sit 9-10ft away from my 55" but for the hell of it, my friend & I moved my couch up about 2ft and watched that 3D cartoon, Sammy's Adventures. It was definitely more immersive and we didn't get eye strain or headaches. I'm actually trading in my 55D8000 for a PN60E8000 in a couple of weeks. I hope I can adjust to plasma since I've always owned an LCD/LED. I'm one who actually likes that "soap opera" effect. I don't believe you get that with Plasma but we'll see....
Jammers10's Avatar Jammers10 04:15 PM 04-20-2012
I'm looking to upgrade my 42" Panasonic Plasma to a bigger size. I'm torn between 50 and 55-inch sizes. I sit about 8 and a half feet away from the TV. I've checked the local store here and was looking at those sizes but it's hard to gauge how those TV's would look in my apartment. I thought the 55-inch one would look too big but it really didn't but again it's in an open space not in a living room in a smaller apartment.
Jtm79's Avatar Jtm79 05:07 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

I hope I can adjust to plasma since I've always owned an LCD/LED. I'm one who actually likes that "soap opera" effect. I don't believe you get that with Plasma but we'll see....

Yeah you cant get that with Samsung plasma, because it doesnt have frame interpolation system, however panasonic do have ifc(intelligent frame creation) so you can get that soap opera effect. So maybe you should check 60 inch panny instead.
jack54's Avatar jack54 05:12 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 View Post

Yeah you cant get that with Samsung plasma, because it doesnt have frame interpolation system, however panasonic do have ifc(intelligent frame creation) so you can get that soap opera effect. So maybe you should check 60 inch panny instead.

What are you talking about??? My Samsung 59" Plasma does terrific. I chose it over a Panasonic.
And I won't EVER go back to LCD/LED again after having a Plasma.
Jtm79's Avatar Jtm79 06:05 PM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

What are you talking about??? My Samsung 59" Plasma does terrific. I chose it over a Panasonic.
And I won't EVER go back to LCD/LED again after having a Plasma.

yeah i have Samsung 51Dd555 and i like it. But im gonna get 65ST50 Or 64E8000. And i was talking about soap opera effect, which is not possible to achieve on Samsung D or E series plasma.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 07:11 PM 04-20-2012
I sit 9 feet from our 42" Plasma. suggested to the wife that when we get our two new couches, that we should set them up in a theater style, and of course she shot that idea down the tubes.
Tags: Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Lg 42ld520 42 Inch Lcd Hdtv
1 2

Up
View Full Version