Forum Jump:
Old 11-21-2010, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I was having the same problem as all of you on this post. I was talking to my friend who is a Sound engineer, and he said it doesn't add up - a cable very rarely goes bad, if ever, and to have this many people reporting it to be a cable was blowing his mind. He said he could understand how the connection could not be solid, so to try just unplugging, and replugging in the LVDS cables and see if that does it. Well, that worked for me.

Of course, after removing about 100 screws, I wondered if I should just replace the LVDS cable anyway in case it is a bad cable, but so far, 24 hours later, it is working perfectly.

Thanks to everyone - prior to finding this link, I was literally 10 minutes from going out and buying a new TV.

I was also encouraged to see so many of you with positive experience with Vizio customer service, which was not my experience. I was two weeks out of warranty, and they wouldn't give me the time of day, even though they were very polite, it seems it would make sense on their part to at least let me talk to a tech who could have told me this was an LVDS cable and saved me a whole lot of frustration.

Thanks again.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 02:57 PM

So, my green screen is back. GRRRR. will now order the LVDS cables once I figure out which ones they are. Does anyone know what the name of the board on the very top center of the SV470XVT1A is called? It says ba211v 1455a1, but after a quick google search I came up empty. The board at the other end of the LVDS cable says "0171 4072 0044" which appears to be the logic board.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Okay, so last Friday my 42" Vizio LCD HDTV took a crap (it was manufactired in November 2007 - just three years old - go figure). Anyhoo - the entire screen turned green and there was no sound. Aside from the green screen, there were random black pixels that would bounce around and then black horizontal lines (through the green screen). Then after a few minutes the screen would be completely black then back to the green screen with the lines and pixels. UGH! I could not power the TV off either - I had to unplug it! So - after reviewing all the posts on this board - I ordered the LVDS cable today ($20.90 out the door!) from vizparts.com. The sales rep. I talked to seemed to think that my screen problem should be fixed with the new cable.

So.... What say YOU?

Oh yeah... One last thing! Where exactly does the cable go? I am assuming it's that cable that comes out from under the metal box towards the bottom of the inside. Oh, boy!

Thanks in advance!

Jamie Lynne

Old 12-11-2010, 05:23 PM

It seems like it's the T-Control Board (6871L-1455A.) Found one at vizparts.com
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 PM

Did replacing the lvds fix it or does it come back eventually?

I have a tv that's doing the same thing. Thank you.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I feel real comfortable that mine is actually a bad cable as well. I can literally push on the top of my TV (or move it just a tad one way or the other) and the picture comes in perfect.

Same symptoms as everyone else... green where the black is and green following contours.

However, even though I have a manual for it, I can't seem to locate a part number for an LVDS cable.

Would someone happen to know what the part number is that I should be replacing?

I'm a network engineer with an electronics degree so I feel more than comfortable working with this TV... I tear stuff apart all the time -= big grin =-

I would just like to identify which part I'm reseating/replacing before opening it up.

Thanks again to everyone on here. I haven't heard this information in any of the other forums.

Your friend in Virginia,
Paul L.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Old thread I know, but I was experiencing smiilar issues as the others in this post and just wanted to share my experience and hopefully help out others.

This is one of the few threads around which closely addressed this issue in the Vizios, but I'm sure it happens on other TVs as well.

First off, I have a VX42L that was manufactored in 2007 I believe (going off memory - at work at the moment).

I wasn't getting quite the green extremes as the example pictures in here, but I was experiencing some posterization / solarization on some colors.

I tried reseating all the cables (mainly the LVDS), but that didn't help. From there, I was pretty sure it was the t-con board.

First one I found on ebay fixed the color, but only produced a picture on half of the screen (which seems to be another common problem). Luckily, they refunded my $33.

I found another for about the same price on ebay. They didn't take returns, but I figured I'd take a chance.

Installed last night and I'm back in business for the time being. *knock on wood*

For those who *fixed* it with just an LVDS cable, I'm of the opinion that it was just a matter of reseating the cards which probably *cleaned* the contacts, but I could be wrong...

In other news, I can pull my tv off the wall, take apart, install t-con, reassemble, and hang back on the wall in about 15 minutes now!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 AM

I just repaired a 20" Vizio TV with green screen problem.

The bottom line is that the contacts of the connector of the LVDS cable that mates to the flat panel display were dirty. Cleaning the contacts by gently polishing with a pencil eraser fixed the problem.

Explanation:
the LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signalling) cable (on this particular model) carries five differential pairs; four data and one clock. The LVDS cable is a 100 ohm impedance matched cable, and this impedance matching is critical to the operation of the circuit. If you disconnect the LVDS cable at the main board and use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance between any of the differential pairs (you can identify the pairs as the wires that are twisted together), you should observe the 100 ohm terminating resistance in the flat panel display. (this works with power off) The terminating resistance is accurate, and should be very close to 100 ohms.
On this particular malfunctioning TV, one of the differential pair measured 140 ohms. This abnormally high resistance represents an impedance mismatch and causes reflections on the high speed LVDS bus that corrupt the data transmission. The bright green fringing was evidence that the data for those pixels was corrupted. Cleaning the connector contacts of the LVDS cable connector at the flat panel display end of cable resulted in all five terminations measuring 100 ohm as they should.

The LVDS bus carrying the green data is closest to the center of the connector, and the connector used for mating the flat panel display is a surface contact type which is subject to mechanical flexing providing the least amount of contact pressure at the center of the connector.

In contrast, the connector at the main board end of the LVDS cable is a conventional pin and socket type and showed no evidence of excessive resistance across the contacts.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:43 PM

i am having the same problem with my XVT472SV. My tv will be 2 years old but I had bought the extended warranty till Jun 2013. I have already had one circuit panel replaced 6 months after I got it. I called Vizio today & they told me they don't do the extended warranty that is a different company. But the kicker is they don't tell you that when you buy the warranty off their web site they just take your money. They gave me a number to a Warranty Group. Well they just informed me they have no record of me purchasing an extended warranty. So after giving them order confirmation number the date I purchased it, serial number, they say they have to contact Vizio now & will call me back later. Key point to this story.... NEVER BUY VIZIO
Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 PM

well I finally got in contact with the Warranty Group & they were finally able to confirm I did have the extended coverage. So after trouble shooting the tv & emailing pics to them I was told they would forward the information to a tech & they would call to set up an appointment to fix my tv. 2 hours later I get another call from them & they tell me that there is no repair technicians in my area so they are going to refund me the full amount that I paid for my tv. So I am pretty happy right now. I have had the tv 23 months & will be getting a full refund to go buy a new one.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 PM

I got my check for a full refund that I paid for my tv. I can't say a bad thing about the extended warranty. It came thru for me.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 AM

I am getting the same green screen problem on my VA370M. I just replaced the main board this weekend, which was my initial problem, since I was getting stuck on the Vizio boot screen. Now the TV finishes "booting" successfully and does give me a picture, but it's all green. Tonight I will try re-seating the LVDS cable again and see if I can get it to work. If not, I plan to purchase a new one (if possible ) and try that.
Thanks to everyone for posting your results.

Steve in Cincinnati

Followup information:
Well, last night I swapped out the new main board I had just gotten and put in the old board. Interestingly, the green screen went away with the old board. Just to make sure this wasn't some fluke, I put the new board back in, and the green screen problem returned.
So, today I called the retailer from whom I purchased the new board and told them this board they sent me must be defective. They gave me an R/A number to return it.

So, end result is this: my green screen problem was not due to a cable problem, but apparently actually due to the main board itself. Sorry this actually confuses this whole topic regarding the LVDS cable causing this green screen issue. I do still need to find a main board that brings my TV back to full functionality.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 AM

Dont know but waiting to know the good solution for that.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM

I personally would try an electronic contact cleaner on the cable connector before replacing the cable. Radio Shack sells the cleaner.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would like to try to replace/clean the LVDS cable. Is there a guide on how to do it? Where is the cable located, will I see it as I take the back panel off?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM

20130208_131016.jpg 1666k .jpg file Ok I have had a similar problem with my V047L FHDTV20A. Instead of green however I was getting red in my blacks.When I first took it apart I could find nothing wrong(this was after finding no hits with a google search,a year ago).Put it back together and it seemed to work fine,for about a day.Tried again with hair dryer to heat up potential cold solder joints and didn't seem to do anything.So bought a newer bigger Vizio with 5 year warranty.Recently visited this site and after reading posts thought I would check the LVDS cable.Unplugged, put back together, same thing (oh also noticed some green sneaking into the picture about a month ago,hence the hit on this site.Well I didn't notice the board the LVDS cable went to (not the Main board) the first few times attempting to fix. So after finding this board and unplugging/plugging the cable back in still not working without the red background. So took out the hair dryer, heated up that hidden board and bingo picture is perfect now, we'll see how long it lasts. Based on what I did I don't think it is the LVDS cable. After carefully looking at the picture I took of the T-control board I think they put a 42" tv board into my 47"LCD TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: 20130208_131016.jpg
Views: 705
Size: 1.63 MB
ID: 66951
Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 PM

I would like to know why it turns green and what I can do about it thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparris View Post

I would like to know why it turns green and what I can do about it thanks

My understanding is that corrosion develops on the LVDS cable. I've used electronic contact cleaner on one of these Vizio TVs, and it worked fine afterwards. In some cases, the cleaner doesn't work, and the LVDS cable needs to be replaced.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:28 AM

Update- It was not the board or the LVDS cable but just an improperly connected LVDS cable. There is a colored part of the LVDS ribbon and that needs to be inserted all the way into the connecter before locking it in place. It's been working fine now for 6 months with nothing replaced.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 AM

Liked: 0
I have a VF550M. About 4 years old. When I use any of the HDMI inputs initially the TV works fine, however after a couple of minutes a green static screen appears followed by a black screen and I am unable to get any picture back. After it sits for a while the process repeats itself. The component inputs work fine with no screen changes. I am guessing based on others experience this may be the LVDS cable. I am going to try and clean the contacts and then if that doesn't work get a new cable. Any other ideas on what could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement