Forum Jump:
post #1 of 21 Old 05-14-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some quick advice. I am about to purchase a 37 inch lcd Wednesday. Walmart has the Vizio VW37 and the Sanyo DP37647. I need some pointers. Which would be the better tv between the two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 08:16 PM

I looked at the two models earlier tonight.... I found that the Sanyo has a higher contrast ratio of 1500:1 vs. the Vizio's 1000:1. The Vizio only has 2 HDMI inputs where the Sanyo has 3. I looked at them carefully and the Sanyo edged out the Vizio in terms of sharpness and better picture quality. Let us know if you buy either of them.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-17-2007, 08:01 PM

I have the Sanyo DP42647. I need to exchange it because of a problem with the component input and am waiting for Walmart to get that size back in stock, but with HDMI cable, it's great! My only 2 wishes are 1) more manual control of settings (but so far I haven't needed that, just want it) and 2) PIP....don't need it, just want it.

post #4 of 21 Old 05-18-2007, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am faced with the same decision between those 2 exact models. Any more input would be greatly appreciated
post #5 of 21 Old 05-25-2007, 12:48 PM

Well the Vizio has 1366x768 computer resolution via RGB. I assume that's the dot-to-dot setting that's desirable for Home Theater PCs.

But no audio output for the Vizio. Might be a kill-the-deal for some people. Sanyo has both coaxial digital and fixed analog output but I assume it wouldn't convert analog input audio to digital output. (ooops correction: It DOES convert analog input audio to digital output)

----------------------------

Follow-Up:

Ended up getting the Sanyo--looked considerably better with the hi-def in-store video feed than the Vizio. I hope don't regret not being able to connect a PC.

TIM
post #6 of 21 Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 PM

dotheDVDeed, is there no way to connect a PC...no adapter or anything? I had never given it much thought until I read your post. Thanks.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks like the price on the Sanyo 37in. has gone up almost 50 bucks at walmart.Does anyone know if it has had features added to justify the price increase? The model number is the same DP37647.Seems unusual for a price increase given the stiff competion in the lower priced lcd tv market.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I too had the same decision, and the Vizio edged out for me for two reasons.

1. Costco is 10 minutes away, whereas Wal Mart is 45.
2. Costco is great on returns, I've had less than stellar support returning stuff to Wal-Mart.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 11:35 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The sanyo sitting next to the Vizio at my walmart looked like crap...same feed on video signal from component. Didn't get into the tv settings but the Vizio looked miles away better.

Walmart does have a 1 year long return policy on Sanyo tv's so you don't even need to buy the warranty for those. That is a perk. I just purchased the Vizio VW42L and love it. I have only had RPTV's and computer monitors to compare it to besides what I see in the store but so far it is great!
post #10 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 09:52 PM

I purchased the Vizio over the Sanyo. The Sanyo actually looked a little better in the store but I felt the Vizio just needed some tweeking and I was right. Sanyo only sells it's TVs to WalMart and they have a bad rep. This is my assesment of the Vizio.
Nice design, the gloss finish looks sort of classy.
Impressive image in wide screen HD, can hold it's own against costlier units.
Good black rendering, not mind blowing but good
Good color rendering with lots of adjustment control
So-So Sound
No audio output at all, What's up with that?
SD poor to good, really all over the map, not a surprise
Picked up 13 digital stations with basic cable
I am using a progressive scan DVD player through the componant imputs and it looks freaking great
Panoramic stretch mode is a joke
Cannot stretch image in HD,no Zoom control
No PIP, for me no big deal
Basically a stripped down budget WalMart TV, who could ask for more?
post #11 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Now I'll have to look at the Vizio VW37 again to compare it against the Sanyo. Just curious.. for those that don't have an HDMI receiver like myself, what can I do if I want to hook up my dvd player, Xbox 360 and PS3 all via HDMI to the VW37 if it only has 2 HDMI inputs? Is there a device to to plug all three devices into a converter and just have one HDMI cable to the TV? So new to this...
post #12 of 21 Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM

Well when I compare my Sanyo to Elonewolfe's description of his Vizio VWL37L I think my extra $50 I spent was worth it.

The Sanyo has digital audio output so I can enjoy live OTA programming with 5.1 surround. Great for PBS concerts.

Okay brightness/contrast controls. The automatic preset is laughably mega bright. It'll burn your retinas. A little disappointed in the black rendering. Not a problem with sports or sitcoms but dark dramas such as Law & Order and 24 suffer a bit. But then this isn't a $2K-$2.5K plasma is it?

The zoom control works in all modes. Though the panoramic stretch is pretty brutal. It stretches all the screen equally. Some other TVs stretch variably, with the center less than the sides. It'll also zoom a widescreen picture broadcast in a 4x3 frame to fill the screen.

No PIP here either.

It treats the analog tuner like its a separate input. Seven clicks to get from Video 2 to Video 1 !

I'm strictly OTA in the metro LA area with a 1970's rooftop antenna, I can't report on it's CableTV capability. No problem here pulling in stations.

I'm a little concerned about how it treats S-video on the Video 1 input. I'm not sure but I think it's digitizing the video and audio, displaying both a split second later. When I feed my audio to my amp first and then on to the TV the audio from the amp is out of sync with the audio and the video coming from TV. I don't see this problem when I use the component inputs. I'll just have to wire this up differently.

The manual mentions using HDMI input 1 to input DVI and then it gets the audio from video 3. I assume you have to use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

TIM
post #13 of 21 Old 06-01-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalier95 View Post

Now I'll have to look at the Vizio VW37 again to compare it against the Sanyo. Just curious.. for those that don't have an HDMI receiver like myself, what can I do if I want to hook up my dvd player, Xbox 360 and PS3 all via HDMI to the VW37 if it only has 2 HDMI inputs? Is there a device to to plug all three devices into a converter and just have one HDMI cable to the TV? So new to this...

Yes. Check monoprice.com.
BTW, I have a 42' Sanyo LCD which has 3 hdmi inputs and love it.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM

I'm really liking this Sanyo. I just found out it passes 5.1 DD sound from the HDMI inputs to the coaxial digital output.

This makes connecting things a lot easier.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-10-2007, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How are the picture settings on the Sanyo? I know that the Vizios offer quite an extensive degree of possible calibration compared to most other sets. I was just wondering if the Sanyo offered similar controls for fine-tuning the picture.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-11-2007, 07:01 PM

I'm looking at this Sanyo 32in at Walmart as well. I guess everyone is still happy with them?
post #17 of 21 Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 PM
GGG

Don't go with either brand, go with a Sharp or something similar upscale, with the old models being discontinued and increased price compression right now, you can negotiate a top brand for almost the same price as a value brand like Sanyo or Vizio. I just got 2 Sharps..a 52 & 32 for only $50 more than the middle of the road Vizio price.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Between the two, I would say Vizio. I like to play with the sets at Walmart, and the Vizio's are quite a bit more impressive, to me, than the Sanyos. However, I do agree with the above poster, that you can put out a little bit more and get a better set. Quite a few stores offer better deals than what Walmart has. For a while, Circuit City had a 40" Samsung for less than a grand.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Neither....

Get a 1080p Vizio GV42LF at Sears for 950.

Epson 8350 / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 / Panasonic P50ST60 / Vizio P502ui-B1E / Sony 50W700B
Sony S790 / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2
Sony NT5 / Samsung F550 / Speakercraft CS3 / Yamaha YAS-105
post #20 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Don't go with either brand, go with a Sharp or something similar upscale, with the old models being discontinued and increased price compression right now, you can negotiate a top brand for almost the same price as a value brand like Sanyo or Vizio. I just got 2 Sharps..a 52 & 32 for only $50 more than the middle of the road Vizio price.

Sharps are nice(very nice), but be careful of the banding issue. Problem is many don't notice until after return time is over (30 days in some places). Then one day you see it and it will drive you crazy. After that you will always notice it. When Sharp corrects the issue they will be on top again. They have great picture quality and good blacks. I do; however, think Vizio makes a great product right now and would even choose over the Sharp until the banding issue is resolved.

The thing about Vizio is the default settings at the store on many of their sets stink. Play around with the settings, and you can get the PQ on par with almost any LCD. Also nice to see in American Co. back in the mix.

P.S. I have never noticed Sharp near Vizio in pricing. Unless you compair Web vs. B&M stores. I did see where Costco got there 52" just $200 (with coupon) more than the Vizio (with coupon). (possibly even right now since I think the Vizio coupon is not longer valid)

Good luck on your purchase Solrac.
post #21 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalier95 View Post

I looked at the two models earlier tonight.... I found that the Sanyo has a higher contrast ratio of 1500:1 vs. the Vizio's 1000:1. The Vizio only has 2 HDMI inputs where the Sanyo has 3. I looked at them carefully and the Sanyo edged out the Vizio in terms of sharpness and better picture quality. Let us know if you buy either of them.

Good points here. The extra HDMI is always usefull for future items. I would assume pic qualilty to be similar. (Keep in mind many TVs are not configured well at the store). Also things like contrast ratio and response time need to be taken with a grain of salt. Many "doctor" their numbers. Vizio seems to be conservative, and not sure about Sanyo.

Probably be happy with either set. Vizio is getting popular right now, and Sanyo has made some good low cost TVs in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page