1 2
LCD Flat Panel Displays > 2015 Vizio D-series?
mpgxsvcd's Avatar mpgxsvcd 07:52 AM 05-26-2015
I thought that the D-series of the Vizio line had died last year since they no longer list it on their site. However, I ran into this 2015 D43 at Walmart yesterday. They had an E43 sitting right next to it. It looks like the D series removes the local dimming but it is Full array. The D43 is only $358 and the E43 is $388. There is also a D39 for $278.

http://walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-D43-...-HDTV/43310240

http://walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-D39h...-HDTV/43255684

Quote:
"The all-new 2015 D-Series 39" (38.5 diag.) Full-Array LED TV has arrived. Featuring a new modern design and brilliant picture quality, VIZIO's 2015 D-Series brings you HD entertainment at an incredible value. Full-Array LED backlighting distributes LEDs behind the entire screen, delivering superior light uniformity and picture performance. VIZIO D-Series brings an incredible picture at an unbeatable value."

Attached: 20150525_200245_resize.jpg (217.7 KB)

kleenex's Avatar kleenex 08:13 AM 05-26-2015
I would still stick with the E over the D....
mpgxsvcd's Avatar mpgxsvcd 08:24 AM 05-26-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
I would still stick with the E over the D....
I would stick with the M over the E but the price point is probably the biggest factor here. Most people that look for a TV in this size at Walmart only care about price. FALD would never mean anything to them but 10% less might. It still seems to be a lot of TV for the money. If Vizio makes a boat load of money by selling these TVs to millions of people at Walmart then hopefully that will mean they can keep selling their higher end sets at a much more reasonable price than their competition.
orrin1933's Avatar orrin1933 08:52 PM 06-03-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
I thought that the D-series of the Vizio line had died last year since they no longer list it on their site.
It's listed in the 'store' section of their web page!

http://vizio.com/tvs.html?screen_size_range=761
dalto's Avatar dalto 06:02 AM 06-04-2015
Pretty interesting spec differences.

Removes local dimming from the E-series. no ethernet port, no smart TV functions but consumes almost twice as much power.

Seems like a lot to give up for $30.
SonicExplorer 12:45 AM 07-01-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
Pretty interesting spec differences.

Removes local dimming from the E-series. no ethernet port, no smart TV functions but consumes almost twice as much power.

Seems like a lot to give up for $30.
Agreed, however if you are somebody who has no interest in built-in Smart features then this TV fits the bill (on paper anyway). It is also a pound heavier, which is odd since, in theory, it should have less components.

I have spent a considerable amount of time researching the literature comparing the D-Series to the E-Series. Clearly something internal is different - it is not simply an E-Series with some features disabled. I personally welcome a "dumb" TV given ongoing random complaints/risks regarding lockups, buzzing, uncontrollable SW updates, etc, - this of course assuming the picture quality on the D-Series is the same as the E-Series. If there is any insight anyone can shed on the subject please reply. I really prefer to get the D43C1 but am finding no reviews anywhere...

Is the 42.5" screen size any clue as to what screen might be in the D43C1??

Sonic
SonicExplorer 01:39 PM 07-01-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicExplorer View Post
Agreed, however if you are somebody who has no interest in built-in Smart features then this TV fits the bill (on paper anyway). It is also a pound heavier, which is odd since, in theory, it should have less components.

I have spent a considerable amount of time researching the literature comparing the D-Series to the E-Series. Clearly something internal is different - it is not simply an E-Series with some features disabled. I personally welcome a "dumb" TV given ongoing random complaints/risks regarding lockups, buzzing, uncontrollable SW updates, etc, - this of course assuming the picture quality on the D-Series is the same as the E-Series. If there is any insight anyone can shed on the subject please reply. I really prefer to get the D43C1 but am finding no reviews anywhere...

Is the 42.5" screen size any clue as to what screen might be in the D43C1??

Sonic
I just noticed .... the contrast ratio is 200K vs. 2m on the D v.s E Series. That could make a PQ difference, eh?
gajCA's Avatar gajCA 06:18 PM 08-20-2015
Just bought a Vizio D39-co at Costco for the front room, have a 1080p 60 inch Panny Plasma in the main viewing room.

For $270, and watching from 10 feet away, it's a darned good little set.

It may only be a 720p set but watching Bladerunner in HD on a 720p HDDVD player, (yeah, I was one of those dummies that bought this extinct technology...picture is nice though), and the set produces surprising great contrast and solid blacks.

Nothing to complain about; doesn't feel like a huge step down from the Panny to be honest.

I calibrated it with the Sound & Vision DVD and it looks great.

If anyone is interested in the calibration numbers I came up with let me know.

All in all, highly recommended, great value.
orrin1933's Avatar orrin1933 02:50 PM 08-31-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Just bought a Vizio D39-co at Costco for the front room, have a 1080p 60 inch Panny Plasma in the main viewing room.

I also bought one to replace an E-series 37 inch that had gone bad.
For me it was an excellent choice. The only drawback was the space between those little feet at the bottom were to wide for my TV-table. The solution was at nice center stand from 'Atlantic' which works well and gives some height adjustment. http://theatlanticstore.com/audi...and-black.html

The 720p screen is ideal for my 10 foot viewing distance.

gajCA's Avatar gajCA 02:58 PM 08-31-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrin1933 View Post
For me it was an excellent choice. The only drawback was the space between those little feet at the bottom were to wide for my TV-table. The solution was at nice center stand from 'Atlantic' which works well and gives some height adjustment. http://theatlanticstore.com/audi...and-black.html

I'm a Plasma die hard so I was a bit shocked at the excellent picture on that light as a feather 'little" set.

Sadly I gave it to my daughter who wants a bigger screen so she's trading it in for the 43 E series which is 1080p with one more HDMI.

I hope the E series is indeed "better" but I'll let you know my opinion.

Good news on the E series is that CNET has extensive picture setting for that set.

Bad news is I've been reading of E series issues like bad hum if you adjust the backlight setting.

Fingers crossed.

I did get a 2006 50 inch Panny Plasma from my daughter in exchange.

Weight of that set?

96 freaking pounds!

Great picture though even though it's "only" 720p as well.

BTW, that little stand looks great that you bought; this is the one my daughter is putting the 43 inch E series on; very cool.

30 inches tall, sits on the floor, $65 on Amazon.

http://amazon.com/Altra-Furnitur.../dp/B00A0HZPVC

EddieFreak 05:27 PM 10-10-2015
Just bought this tv myself. Can you please post the settings you used.

Thanks
orrin1933's Avatar orrin1933 08:28 PM 11-06-2015
My D39h-C0 has a great picture & good sound, but the downloaded Manual is a disaster! It looks like they cut and pasted sections from other manuals without ever looking at the actual unit!

There is a section about the non-existant headphone jack - - the TV has RCA audio output!

The Section about the USB port says it will display jpg images, MP3 audio, and some sort of video with instructions for selecting Music, Video, or Photo. - - The TV only displays photos! The options described in the manual do not exist!

The sample "Info Window" does not look like the actual window!

In the troubleshooting section it says the red & yellow buttons do not operate with this model. - - The remote shipped with th TV do not have any red & yellow buttons!

In another part of the troubleshooting section it suggests turning off the Sound Leveling on page 30. - -
Neither page 30 nor the TV have this adjustment!

....and these are the errors found so far, there are probably more!
Jmhockey23 08:43 PM 11-06-2015
Seems there's also a 4k d series....see this Sam's club ad...

https://blackfriday.com/stores/sams-...ekly-ad/page-1
mpgxsvcd's Avatar mpgxsvcd 07:45 AM 11-09-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhockey23 View Post
Seems there's also a 4k d series....see this Sam's club ad...

https://blackfriday.com/stores/sams-...ekly-ad/page-1
That is a 2016 D-series that they put on sale before 2016. This is similar to what car dealerships do. Note the "D" extension as opposed to "C" for 2015 models. Totally different TV from this 2015 D-series.
Yuppers5's Avatar Yuppers5 11:32 PM 11-17-2015
Why do you guys think Vizio doesn't announce models like these?

I have a feeling they're just trying to hit price points at specific retailers at certain times, like Holidays. I'd be curious to see this D series, 65 inch 4k at $998, not bad.
jwblue17's Avatar jwblue17 08:54 PM 11-27-2015
I was thinking about picking up a D43-C1.

Are there any other opinions on these?

Is it true these don't have local dimming and if true does it make a big difference?
franktho's Avatar franktho 03:50 PM 12-19-2015
Quote:

It may only be a 720p set but watching Bladerunner in HD on a 720p HDDVD player, (yeah, I was one of those dummies that bought this extinct technology...picture is nice though), and the set produces surprising great contrast and solid blacks.

Nothing to complain about; doesn't feel like a huge step down from the Panny to be honest.

I calibrated it with the Sound & Vision DVD and it looks great.

If anyone is interested in the calibration numbers I came up with let me know.

All in all, highly recommended, great value.
Hello, I would be very interested in the calibration settings for the Vizio D39-C0.

Thank you in advance!
gajCA's Avatar gajCA 10:31 AM 12-20-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktho View Post
Hello, I would be very interested in the calibration settings for the Vizio D39-C0.

Thank you in advance!
My deepest apologies.

I cannot seem to find the settings I came up with for that TV to save my life.
franktho's Avatar franktho 11:30 AM 12-20-2015
Quote:
My deepest apologies.

I cannot seem to find the settings I came up with for that TV to save my life.
Thanks for looking!
orrin1933's Avatar orrin1933 08:55 PM 02-20-2016
I just bought another D-Series, this time the D24h-C1 for our bedroom. ($138 at Walmart). As with many small TV sets, the sound is somewhat tinny. It looks like the spealers are on the top rather than the bottom.
I solved the sound problem with a set of Altec-Lansing USB powered PC speakers. Many of the PC speakers have amazingly good sound for their size. It's a shame the TV manufacturers can't use similar technology in their flat screen TVs!
1CaesaR1 12:10 PM 02-21-2016
I just got a d series 32" (D32h-C0) from target for $130+ tax (Target had the 10% off Cartwheel that stacked with 15% registry and then 5% red card). Extremely happy with the set and the picture quality. It is a 720p set that I am using in the basement for the time being but will move to the guest bedroom. For the price I paid, the sound is good as well. A couple things I don't like:

1. The legs are harder to get really tight - screws didn't really want to go all the way in
2. There is a faint buzzing sound when the TV is on - can't noticed when a show is on, but it is there if you stand close to it

I had a limited budget as I had just bought a 60" Samsung UHD a month ago and the only other option were Insignias at BB. Now I am not sure if I should keep it only because of the buzzing sound. It doesn't bother me (very faint), but worries me that something could be wrong with the set. Any tips? Can the TV work for a few years even if the buzzing sound is there?
ectrader's Avatar ectrader 08:31 PM 02-21-2016
Recently bought the D58 at Sams Club and I'm very happy with the picture.
1neeto 11:29 PM 04-19-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrin1933 View Post
Quote:

Ok first post, but anyway, I bought a D series 50" a bit over a week ago from Costco and for the price I paid ($579) I think it's a hell of a tv. Now a good friend of mine told me to box it and spend the extra 50 bucks for the M series because according to him, the M is a much better TV with the native 120hz and 32 LED zones vs 12. All this means nothing to me if I can't notice it, and watching both side by side I could barely tell a difference even though they were both on demo mode.

Now, I noticed that the D-series 55" came down to $599, that's 20 bucks more for 5 extra inches! I figured a bigger tv is better than a fancier same size tv, especially when it comes to 4K since viewing distances are closer if you want to notice a difference from 1080p (according to that chart). My viewing distances vary from about 4' from about 8' if I'm sitting on the furthest end of my couch. Should I get the bigger tv, or the higher end M series of the same size?

Thanks in advance!
iluvwahoo 07:00 AM 04-20-2016
A bigger screen will have the most impact. That being said the M is a better TV overall....for the dollar I would just go bigger size but I sit about 14 feet away...totally up to you.
1neeto 02:45 PM 04-20-2016
Thanks! I figure I'll see more of a difference in a bigger tv than a better panel of the same size.
JWagg 02:59 PM 04-20-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Thanks! I figure I'll see more of a difference in a bigger tv than a better panel of the same size.
bigger is better but if it just overwhelms your space it is the elephant in the room
1neeto 12:50 AM 04-24-2016
Well, ended up returning it and buying a M55 instead. Couldn't be happier!
leo5122 08:34 PM 08-15-2016
i have the d55-d2 1080p it is a smart tv and yes and it has a ethernet jack i was looking right at it when i was putting the feet on
leo5122 08:37 PM 08-15-2016
was realy mad at first untill i figured out some of the settings and got it dialed in somewhat, still confused how to tighten it down
leo5122 08:47 PM 08-15-2016
need 5 posts to post link so
1 2

Up
View Full Version