Forum Jump:
post #1 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Samsung TV turns on and off repeatedly before staying on...

I had a Samsung LN32A450 LCD TV for almost 6 years and it never gave me a problem until now. Over the past 5 days, when I turn my TV on, it will shut off and on repeatedly about 1-3 times before finally remaining on. Once it stays on, it's ok. It only happens when you just turn it on.

Anyone know what could be causing this sudden problem? I didn't try unplugging the TV. Could that help? And is this problem an indication that my TV is failing and will need to be replaced? I'm afraid that one day, it will just not turn on anymore....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have a lot of experience repairing computers not much with TV's but when I see a problem like this a couple of things come to mind. A dirty switch or relay though with modern electronics this is less of a problem, I assume you are using the remote not the switch on the TV, but it may pay to try a little electric switch cleaner spray on the TV's power button anyway. Another problem might be the power supply is going bad. What it sounds like is something isn't making proper contact until it gets warmed up a bit, this type of problem tends to get only worse over time (the bad connection gets worse as it's stressed). Or an important capacitor may be going bad (they do wear out over time). This may be something a repair person can find and fix easily but these things can be hard to trace sometimes. It never hurts to unplug an electronic device if you are having problems just leave it unplugged for awhile (say 1/2 hour) to let the capacitors discharge. If you are looking for an excuse to get a new TV than I'd say this is a good one, donate the old one to Goodwill or similar charity maybe they can fix it.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-01-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post
Or an important capacitor may be going bad (they do wear out over time). This may be something a repair person can find and fix easily but these things can be hard to trace sometimes. It never hurts to unplug an electronic device if you are having problems just leave it unplugged for awhile (say 1/2 hour) to let the capacitors discharge. If you are looking for an excuse to get a new TV than I'd say this is a good one, donate the old one to Goodwill or similar charity maybe they can fix it.
After doing a quick google search, it seems as though this is a common issue with Samsung TVs and their cheap capacitors are the root cause.

If that's the case, does that mean that one day, my TV will just not turn on anymore? I can only imagine that this issue will just go from bad to worse....

post #4 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 AM

Well it depends on how the rest of the circuit handles the failing capacitor, it may already be as bad as it gets, but my money is on total failure in the not too distant future. It's too bad manufactures like to save a few cents with cheap capacitors as the good caps usually last much longer than the cheap ones (though they can go bad too and eventually will, how long depends on lots of factors including the type of cap) and don't cost a whole lot more especially in bulk.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

I tried unplugging the set for a half hour and plugging it back in. The first time I turned the TV on, it was ok, but when I turned it on again a few hours later, it turned on and off repeatedly a couple of times before staying on. So, I don't think unplugging it solved the problem.

It's very odd how TVs today suddenly have cheap capacitors. Old tube TVs never had this issue. I actually had a 20+ year old Sony that never failed, but I threw it out only because I was sick of how big and heavy it was and I wanted to replace it with an LCD. Unfortunately, people are correct when they say, "they don't make 'em like they used to." I agree; they certainly don't.

This is my third consecutive Samsung electronic I bought that ended up with problems. I'll be sure to stay away from that brand at all costs from now on. I'll probably look into buying a Sony, Panasonic or Sharp TV. It's a shame though because I really like this Samsung TV I have. For a low end 720p TV, it delivers pretty good picture. I doubt I'll be able to find one that has as good of a picture quality, but I'll look around this weekend and see. Fortunately, it's a three day weekend for me, so it gives me plenty of time to shop around. If I don't find a good deal and have to go without TV for a while, then so be it....
post #6 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 08:54 AM

I have a 20 year old samsung monitor that still works (I just don't need it too big and heavy not to mention it's like vga only) but if you have had repeated trouble I can see switching brands, but of course they all have their horror stories. I think a lot of decisions like what capacitors to buy come to what looks best in the spread sheet now and not what would be good for the customer and the company reputation a few years from now.

Have fun finding a new TV...I'd look into getting a 1080p though you never know when you might want to get the most out of a bluray disc...and hopefully the new one will last at least as long. I have an 8 year old LCD downstairs, but it wasn't used for one of those years, it's some brand I never heard of (my mom gave it to me) so you just never know.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post
Have fun finding a new TV...I'd look into getting a 1080p though you never know when you might want to get the most out of a bluray disc...and hopefully the new one will last at least as long. I have an 8 year old LCD downstairs, but it wasn't used for one of those years, it's some brand I never heard of (my mom gave it to me) so you just never know.
I always heard that 1080p is useless for a screen as small as 32". But if the cost isn't much more, I'll look into getting one.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

My life is so messed up. My problem got worse and worse so I got a new TV yesterday at Best Buy. I unhooked the set and hooked up the new set and all was well. Well my friend came over today and wanted to see what the problem was with my old tv. So I plugged it in and turned it on several times and guess what? It's working fine!!! Apparently, unplugging it overnight must have rebooted the capacitors or something. I did try unplugging it last week and the problem didn't resolve but I guess I needed to keep it unplugged longer.

I'm hoping that this is just a weird coincidence because if I can't replicate the issue by this weekend, I am returning the new tv to Best Buy. There's no way I'm replacing a tv that still works.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
The repeated turning on and off if not errant or otherwise corrupted firmware *could be a faulty power supply* repeated attempts to turn itself on and shutting down POST fail (Power On Self Test Fail and shut down ) can be the PSU or firmware
sometimes a re boot (unplug re plug ) or beyond that a factory default re set (not difficult )or replacing the firmware (not difficult just need a USB stick ) can fix it other than that maybe some PSU capacitors (inexpensive and not difficult )
OR other parts on the board as well . lots of you tube videos on that

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-07-2014 at 09:27 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I always heard that 1080p is useless for a screen as small as 32". But if the cost isn't much more, I'll look into getting one.
1080p vs 720p on a 32" ......meh unless you are also using it as a PC monitor then you will definitely want a 1080p
post #11 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Never mind. My old tv still has the issue. Turned it on just now and it acted up again. I guess the capacitor needed time to fully charge. My new TV is here to stay. Whew!!
post #12 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Never mind. My old tv still has the issue. Turned it on just now and it acted up again. I guess the capacitor needed time to fully charge. My new TV is here to stay. Whew!!
Might be able to fix it for$10.00 + about $15.00 for a soldering pencil kit at R/S
I would suggest Digikey or Mouser for the Caps(*if that' what's wrong symptoms are classic though )
that way you know you aren't getting E Baay fakes !
post #13 of 15 Old 02-03-2015, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There is a repair service on eBay that fixes this cycling on and off issue.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-03-2015, 08:51 PM

The link is below
post #15 of 15 Old 02-03-2015, 08:52 PM

Samsung Main Board Repair for TV cycling on and off, and or loud screeching noise:

http://ebay.com/itm/Samsung-LCD-...:L:LCA:US:1123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page