LCD Flat Panel Displays > LG ARC and Simplink issue - won't work with multiple HDMI inputs in AVR - help?
AV_Gecko's Avatar AV_Gecko 02:00 PM 11-07-2013
Hi all,

Believe this may be a generic issue? My LG 55LW5600 TV is having issues with ARC and my Denon AVR-591.

My cable and Blu-Ray player are connected via HDMI to my Denon and speaker system. TV is connected to Denon via ARC. I am using ARC HDMI out on Denon connected to HDMI1 on the LG (ARC in). Cable and BD work fine, sound comes through Denon, all good.

Issue is when I want to watch content right from the TV itself using native apps like Netflix, YouTube, etc. No sound through the Denon. Only TV speakers, which are crap. I'd like the sound to come through my home stereo as well, hence the ARC setup.

Everything is set up correctly, cables, HMDI settings, yada yada.

It works if I unplug the HDMI cables for the cable and BD from the Denon. The LG Simplink sees the TV and bada-bing everything sounds fan-ARC'd-tastic.

As soon as I plug in the other HDMI cables for the cable and BD into the Denon, the ARC won't work - in the Simplink menu it does not 'see' the TV.

Really aggravating. Anyone have a fix/suggestions?

TIA.

Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 02:06 PM 11-07-2013
I don't believe that ARC is designed that way to allow you to play audio from your smart features. You'll either to have to use the tv speakers frown.gif or connect an optical cable (which is what I do for OTA). The only real advantage of ARC is the elimination of an extra cable (optical) but I think the design specs were in place long before SmartTV's became popular. Maybe somebody else has a workaround but I've never bothered with ARC.
AV_Gecko's Avatar AV_Gecko 02:13 PM 11-07-2013
Otto - It definitely works. I think the issue is the multiple HDMIs connected. Did some digging and it seems LG's CEC/ARC/Simplink implementation is flawed. As stated, if I disconnect my cable and blur-ray, it works fine with ARC - native apps play through my Denon and sound great.

As soon as I plug in an HDMI input into my Denon, it breaks.

Annoying as hell. Would be nice if the manufacturers all got on board with a common spec. Each has their own implementation it seems and they don't all play nicely together.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 04:08 PM 11-07-2013
Ok, that's good to know then. I don't use CEC either (which seems to cause all kinds of issues) and just use a Harmony remote to control all aspects of my HTS.
Armyguy702's Avatar Armyguy702 11:11 PM 02-20-2014

I have a Denon AVR-X3000 and have the same problem as you my ARC will not allow the volume to play through the stereo speakers but the volume controls and everything else works fine but the CEC on my vizio can not discover the device does anyone have a clue why denon stereos have this problem my receiver is barely 30 days old

Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 11:29 PM 02-20-2014
ARC/CEC is a crap shoot for some devices. The reason being is that the protocol for CEC is not standardized and some devices just work better than others. The only real advantage of ARC is that it eliminates the need for an optical cable. Audio is still limited to 5.1 at best. As for CEC, I'd recommend a good programmable remote like a Harmony and as far as ARC goes, get an optical cable if it's feasible. See my responses above.
karahana 05:40 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Gecko View Post
Otto - It definitely works. I think the issue is the multiple HDMIs connected. Did some digging and it seems LG's CEC/ARC/Simplink implementation is flawed. As stated, if I disconnect my cable and blur-ray, it works fine with ARC - native apps play through my Denon and sound great.

As soon as I plug in an HDMI input into my Denon, it breaks.

Annoying as hell. Would be nice if the manufacturers all got on board with a common spec. Each has their own implementation it seems and they don't all play nicely together.
Dude, all of your HDMI inputs should be connected to the TV and not to your Denon,
except for the ARC (Denon - TV).

This setup will allow the TV to "centralize" all the HDMI input sound into the Denon,
According to which input is currently selected.

Try it!
It works perfectly with my Panasonic Amp. and my Philips TV.
To my Philips TV connected with HDMI: XBOX, Satellite Receiver, PC (all with the regular HDMI Ports) & the Panasonic Amp. with the Special HDMI 1.4 port.

This way i can hear ALL those devices with 5.1 DOLBY Channeled to the Amp.
Even the PC! (the HDMI port at the back of my GIGABYTE NVIDIA display adapter transfers the sound as well!)
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 01:32 PM 07-01-2014
^^^^ Dewd, wrong! The best, and most common setup, is to connect all of your devices via HDMI to the receiver and have a single HDMI cable connecting the receiver to the tv. If ARC works for you (and quite often it doesn't) then the single cable will send bi-directional audio from the receiver to the tv and vice versa. The only advantage of ARC is the elimination of the optical cable. Both ARC and optical are only capable of discrete 5.1. Quite a lot of tv's can't pass all audio formats connected externally via HDMI to it because the tv's don't have the decoders to properly handle the audio formats to pass on to the receiver. So you'll get stereo or some pseudo-format.

I don't bother with ARC because of the inherent issues. I just use an optical cable from my tv to the receiver so I can hear discrete 5.1 when broadcast via the internal ATSC tuner. And I keep my tv speakers off. All other audio is processed via the receiver and only video is sent to the tv. If your setup truly works the way you say it does, then congratulations.
kalrakam 10:53 AM 11-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Gecko View Post
Hi all,<br><br>
Believe this may be a generic issue? My LG 55LW5600 TV is having issues with ARC and my Denon AVR-591.<br><br>
My cable and Blu-Ray player are connected via HDMI to my Denon and speaker system. TV is connected to Denon via ARC. I am using ARC HDMI out on Denon connected to HDMI1 on the LG (ARC in). Cable and BD work fine, sound comes through Denon, all good.<br><br>
Issue is when I want to watch content right from the TV itself using native apps like Netflix, YouTube, etc. No sound through the Denon. Only TV speakers, which are crap. I'd like the sound to come through my home stereo as well, hence the ARC setup.<br><br>
Everything is set up correctly, cables, HMDI settings, yada yada.<br><br>
It works if I unplug the HDMI cables for the cable and BD from the Denon. The LG Simplink sees the TV and bada-bing everything sounds fan-ARC'd-tastic.<br><br>
As soon as I plug in the other HDMI cables for the cable and BD into the Denon, the ARC won't work - in the Simplink menu it does not 'see' the TV.<br><br>
Really aggravating. Anyone have a fix/suggestions?<br><br>
TIA.
I just set mine up over the weekend. After playing through with it a lot here are the main things to look out for/verify:

TV SETTINGS
1) Turn on ARC on your TV (make sure you HDMI is in ARC port)
2) Turn on Simplink on your TV.
3) On your TV make sure your speakers are selected as external speakers and not TV speakers.

RECEIVER SETTINGS
1) Turn on ARC
2) Turn on HDMI Control
3) (here's the main thing) From your settings somewhere, most likely HDMI CONTROL, make sure to select AV X (input for sound). Make sure to use AV input and not HDMI input.

Then, play something from your TV native apps play a video. Picture should change and then it should automatically switch the audio to AV X (on your receiver)

I can't post the link of my receiver but search for Yamaha RXA730 manual and then look at page 21, 90, & 91.
Tags: Lg 55lw5600 55 Inch Class 3d Led Tv Full Hd 1080p Resolution Includes 10 Pairs Of Lg 3d Glasses , Denon Avr 591 Receiver
Up
View Full Version