LCD Flat Panel Displays > Calling all Samsung TV users that use HDMI-CEC (Anynet+) - Please Help :)
Diverge's Avatar Diverge 11:29 AM 03-08-2012
Please consider emailing support to request that they add a minor firmware option to allow us to automatically turn on our receivers when the TV is powered on.

The easy way to find the email link is just go to the product page for your TV and click email support. Here's the link for UN55D8000 http://samsung.com/us/support/em...N55D8000YFXZA#

Here's what I asked them:
Quote:

Currently the firmware does not allow Anynet+ to automatically turn on a receiver when the TV is turned on. There is an option 'On' to manually turn on the receiver, and 'Off' to manually turn it off - so it can turn on and off the receiver. But there is no 'Auto' option which would allow the receiver to turn on and off along with the TV.

This is a big problem for many users who bought a Samsung TV with HDMI-CEC in mind. I am one of those users. Currently my setup consists of a HTPC, a Marantz NR1602 AVR, and a Samsung UN55D8000 TV. When I turn on my TV my HTPC will wake up, and once it is fully awake it will then wake up my receiver. The problem with this order (TV, HTPC, Receiver), is that windows sets the sound setup according to what it sees on the HDMI cable, which at the time is a stereo TV, so now to get surround sound I have to manually go through windows sound setup every time the HTPC wakes up. If the Samsung TV was allowed to wake my receiver when it turns on the order would then be (TV, Receiver, HTPC) and then windows would detect speaker setup as a 5.1 surround sound rather then stereo.

Please consider adding this minor update to the firmware of Samsung Smart TV's that have use Samsungs Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). It should not be a lot of work to implement and would make a lot of users happy.

They will probably just ignore me, but maybe it enough people email them they would consider it, or at least send the info along to the people who make those decisions.

Big Gun's Avatar Big Gun 01:08 PM 03-19-2012
You are 100% correct. I'm certain that they could have developed a software provision to allow the input to revert back to the designated TV input source.
Big Gun's Avatar Big Gun 01:08 PM 03-19-2012
You are 100% correct. I'm certain that they could have developed a software provision to allow the input to revert back to the designated TV input source.
Isaac San Fran's Avatar Isaac San Fran 10:01 AM 06-01-2012
Is the HTPC running Windows of some flavor? There's a program called EventGhost, at www[dot]eventghost[dot]org that could possibly help with this. It can detect events in the computer's logs, and set up actions that are triggered by said events.

That being said, I don't know if it works with, say, system settings, but it could be used with something like an IR remote to control the HTPC.

Maybe worth looking into.
MrBobb's Avatar MrBobb 01:35 AM 06-02-2012
Meh, more options is always better than less options, unless it makes the product more difficult to use and little benefit, but sequential control is eazily remedied with a macro-capable universal remote.
brentqld's Avatar brentqld 05:34 AM 10-24-2012
Hi Diverge,

I jumped on the bandwagon and sent Samsung support this email below:
Quote:
Hi Samsung Support,

Currently the firmware does not allow Anynet+ to automatically turn on a receiver when the TV is turned on. There is an option ''''On'''' to manually turn on the receiver, and ''''Off'''' to manually turn it off - so it can turn on and off the receiver. But there is no ''''Auto'''' option which would allow the receiver to turn on and off along with the TV.

This is a big problem for many users who bought a Samsung TV with HDMI-CEC in mind. I am one of those users. Currently my setup consists of a Pioneer VSX-920-K AVR, and a Samsung UA55ES8000M TV. To get Anynet+ to control the AVR, I currently need to go into TV menu each time and activate it. Surely there must be a way to add an ''''auto'''' option in future firmware updates to rectify this annoying oversight. Fixing this bug will make the UA55ES8000M a near perfect unit in every other way, and certainly a unit I will be encouraging friends and family to purchase.

Please consider adding this minor update to the firmware of Samsung Smart TV''''s that have use Samsungs Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). It should not be a lot of work to implement and would make a lot of users happy.

Regards,

Samsung sent me back this reply:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Care Australia.

We appreciate your feedback. We have raised this to the Engineering/Manufacturing team and will look into the matter for customers like you. However, please allow me to interject a possible logic as to why AnyNet+ is set up the way it is.

Several external devices (game console, DVD/Blu-Ray Player/Set Top Box, Home Theatre System) can be connected to the TV all at the same time, but not all the time all these devices will be used altogether. Turnig the AnyNet+ on first through the TV allows you to select which devices you will use along with the TV at particular time for a particular purpose.

And my reply back to them:
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

I did not consider how annoying, and potentially power wasteful, having all electronic devices connected to the TV automatically firing up because the TVs turned on - I only have a receiver connected, which I want on all of the time when the TV is on. This being the case, wouldn't it be better to offer an opt-out, rather that not offer the feature at all?

What would be ideal is for Samsung TV owners to be able to go into Anynet+ plus, see the list of devices connected and choose how they are to be handled.

May I please suggest the following (bottom bullet point as the other options are already available) be added to to Anynet+ options:

Off is off,
On is manual on - auto off with TV off,
Auto [for each individual device] is auto on, and off, with TV

Regards,
Brent

The last communique for me was on 22/10/12. I have not received a reply as yet but fingers crossed.
mwake's Avatar mwake 01:52 AM 03-07-2014

Glad I stumbled on this page this issue is still relevant for me...2014 and still no fix for this samsung!

Johninperth's Avatar Johninperth 01:38 AM 04-24-2014
It appears that my f8000 has an ability to select anynet devices manually. When I power on the TV it powers the receiver and same same for off. If impress 'tools' and select ps4 it will turn that on and I can control the ps4 via samsung remote. When I powered off the receiver after manually turning on ps4, it shut down all three devices.
Mark0M's Avatar Mark0M 05:19 AM 05-08-2014

How the hell did you manage that? I have the same TV with the latest FW and for sound output I have Harman/Kardon AVR151 receiver. When turing off the TV also the receiver turns off but when turning TV on, the receiver remains off.

Up
View Full Version