Forum Jump:
Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys, I am not sure if this issue has been discussed or not but whenever I turn on/off my Samsung LCD TV it makes a series of clicking/static sounds...it sometimes go on for a while (even during a movie) and becomes distracting. I have read that some LCD TV's do this and that a good surge protector can help. Does anybody know if there is any truth to that. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 03:51 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VG1385 View Post

Hello guys, I am not sure if this issue has been discussed or not but whenever I turn on/off my Samsung LCD TV it makes a series of clicking/static sounds...it sometimes go on for a while (even during a movie) and becomes distracting. I have read that some LCD TV's do this and that a good surge protector can help. Does anybody know if there is any truth to that. Thanks.

can you tell the difference between relay-clicking and clicking related to parts / metal frame expanding because of a dissipated heat?

If it is relay clicking, it could be related to "fast turn-on" relay that keeps power supply "powered" all the time for quick turn-on.

Boky
Old 07-29-2009, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

can you tell the difference between relay-clicking and clicking related to parts / metal frame expanding because of a dissipated heat?

If it is relay clicking, it could be related to "fast turn-on" relay that keeps power supply "powered" all the time for quick turn-on.

Boky

I can't say I can tell. I am sure maybe some of it is normal (clicking sound) but it seems to intensify (static sound coming from TV and volume is all the way down on the TV) when I turn on my receiver (yamaha rx-v663)....however when I am playing a cd through my oppo player and my amp is on and tv is off there is no static/clicking sounds, and also when the TV is on alone with just cable there is minimal clicking noise and no static...that's why I think it may be interference causing the static sound which maybe a decent surge protector can help against. another thought was that the HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV is stretched to the max...its solidly plugged in but not much room for play at all. It is 1m in length so I don't know if a slightly longer cable would help me either. It has to be something like that because individually the tv produces small clicking and the amp makes no sounds at all....its together that the tv starts to emanate a static sound.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I would talk to Sammy if this is still under warranty.

Could be a leaking capacitor.

I dunno where this "fast turn on" the other fellah refers to... FPs don't need to be "kept warm" as old CRT used to.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

I would talk to Sammy if this is still under warranty.

Could be a leaking capacitor.

I dunno where this "fast turn on" the other fellah refers to... FPs don't need to be "kept warm" as old CRT used to.

yeah, but it's not an issue when the amp isn't on. I can live with the clicking sounds when the tv starts and shuts down, but its the static noise that the 2 create when working together. individually they are fine.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by VG1385 View Post

yeah, but it's not an issue when the amp isn't on.

Is this the audio amp? Is the noise coming from the speakers? If yes-yes, then definitely cap leakage.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

okay something is definitely wrong...I got a decent surge protector and it didn't seem to help...but just now I turned on all my equipment and the static noise was there like usual, but then I put on a blu ray movie and as soon as the picture loaded the tv started making a very loud popping static sound...it was so loud I actually thought it was my main speakers so i turned down my amp and nothing happened so I put my ear to the TV and it was definitely coming from there so I shut it off right away. Then a few moments later I turned it on and it didn't make that noise anymore but I took out the movie. I am afraid to watch anything now lol :S. TV is just under a year old so it should still be under warranty I think.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 AM

That is strange and I can't really narrow it down to anything particular... Call service and have it fixed under warranty.

Boky
Old 07-31-2009, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

okay after some more testing here is what happened. The horrifying series of pops and static mentioned earlier occurred on la vie en rose (import). Later I turned everything on and played scenes of king kong without issue, then Sweeney Todd without issue, then I put in la vie en rose again and I heard static but to a much smaller degree. I am so confused. could this be an issue with the HDMI cable? I think I'll go buy one tomorrow, try it, and if it fixes things that's great, and of not I'll just return it and go back to sulking lol :P.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:08 AM

I would suggest you to contact Samsung directly. check wheather the TV is still under warrenty.

It will be cheaper way......

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><span>Warm Regards,</span><br><span>VirP</span><br><a href="http://hometheaterstore.com" target="_blank">Home Theater Store</a></div></div>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement