Forum Jump:
Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I just got the camera and I absolutely love this thing. It came with a Canon BP-820 battery and I am needing some longer run time options. I see where the canon bp-828 is always out of stock as well as its priced to break the bank at $190 @ B&H. Ive done a search on google and found a couple batteries that were way more in my price range (75$ and lower). I have no idea what it means when it says "DECODED" battery. what suggestions do you guys and girls have? We are talking about at least a 5 hour runtime at 35 mbs mpg4 recording. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDownProd View Post

Well I just got the camera and I absolutely love this thing. It came with a Canon BP-820 battery and I am needing some longer run time options. I see where the canon bp-828 is always out of stock as well as its priced to break the bank at $190 @ B&H. Ive done a search on google and found a couple batteries that were way more in my price range (75$ and lower). I have no idea what it means when it says "DECODED" battery. what suggestions do you guys and girls have? We are talking about at least a 5 hour runtime at 35 mbs mpg4 recording. Thanks in advance.

If you buy a third party/generic battery that is advertised as "decoded", it has a chip to tell the camcorder the remaining time left on the battery, (as do the Canon genuine batteries). Many cheaper generics won't show the remaining time.

If you buy a larger capacity battery, it's going to add some weight to the camcorder. They are most useful in situations when recording a long event continuously without hitting pause, such as recording a play.

If you have the camcorder manual, there will be a chart stating the typical record times for each battery type...and you can determine if you want to swap out smaller batteries or buy the larger capacity/or a combination of both.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I say you buy a few BP-819 batteries from Amazon at $59.99 each...

http://amazon.com/Canon-Lithium-Battery-Camcorders-Packaging/dp/B0012IJYZ6

Compared to the price of a single BP-828, you can get 3 of the BP-819 with change to spare...
HammerDownProd likes this.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:46 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post

I say you buy a few BP-819 batteries from Amazon at $59.99 each...

http://amazon.com/Canon-Lithium-Battery-Camcorders-Packaging/dp/B0012IJYZ6

Compared to the price of a single BP-828, you can get 3 of the BP-819 with change to spare...

BP-819 aren't compatible with the HF G30/those fit the older models.

HF G30 takes newer battery types:
http://amazon.com/Canon-8597B002-BP-820-Battery-Pack/dp/B00C3R10KW/ref=pd_sim_p_3/185-4760464-3762612

http://amazon.com/Canon-8598B002-BP-828-Battery-Pack/dp/B00C3R130O/ref=pd_sim_p_2/185-4760464-3762612
Old 10-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmmm... Didn't realize that... The BP-819 is compatible with the HF-G10 and HF-G20...

But yes, I double checked the website compatibility on the BP-819, and sure enough, the HF-G30 is not listed...

Thanks for the updated information...

Update: Interesting, I just looked at the BP-820 compatibility and I can use it in my old cameras too... And the BP-819 is no longer available... I wonder if this truly is a different battery with different compatibility, or if it's simply a replacement product with some improvements, but identical compatibility...
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive seen some off brand batteries listed online, not bad brands but ones like lenmar and pearstone, that were way cheaper than the 190$ canon batteries. These also said decoded and were anywhere from 2100mah to 3500mah. The longer mah is what im after. I shoot automotive racing events and need that extra length in run time on the battery.

Also does anyone have any suggestion for memory cards? I have been looking at sandisk 64gb 80mb/s read and they are 100$ each. I would love to find a 2 pack at a discount price but no one seems to have them. Are there any other cards that are as good or have close to the same read and upload specs that are more budget friendly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement