Forum Jump:
post #1 of 8 Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm unclear on what amp would work best for a MB QUART RLP254 10'' 600 watts peak/300 rms at 4-ohms dual voice coil.

Mainly I'm confused on how to size up a car amp for instance. Say I'm looking for 400 watts at 4 ohms...does that mean I need to be looking for an amp that says 200 watts x 2 @ 4ohms? Would it be better to stay with a mono block since I do not plan to power the other speakers in my set up?

I have been looking at the Crunch GPV700.2 sold via an online retailer.

Also if anyone has any words of wisdom regarding the MP Quart line or something comparable I'm all ears...I'd like to order sometime this weekend and possibly begin building the enclosure. Going to install in my 2001 S-10 Ext Cab.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-04-2011, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would just get a 600Wrms mono sub amp that is 2ohm stable. I have a MB Quart PWE 354 15" sub that can handle 800wrms (400wrms per coil), and I am powering it with a JL Audo 500/1 amp that puts out 500wrms. The sub is under powered, but it does sound really good. I can hit up to around 132dB. That's not as loud as some of my previous systems, but that's more than enough for daily listening, and my goal was more sound quality with this build, rather than just SPL.

That Crunch amp would be very much under powering your MB Quart. If you wired each coil to a separate channel, you would only have 87.5wrms per coil. That amp can't handle 2ohm loads bridged, so you would not benefit from mono connection. I would look at any amp that can handle 2ohm mono or has enough power (at least 200wrms per channel) for each voice coil.

I've had good luck with my JL Audio in this car. I've also really liked using Sound Stream amps in the past. I had the Sound Stream Reference 500. They are build to handle just about any speaker configuration you could throw at them. Mine could handle down to 1ohm mono loads. There are many other amps that can provide the power you need and handle the stereo or mono connections.

I've got an old Earthquake PH-D2 2000wrms mono amp for sale. I had it connected to a Cerwin Vega Stroker 18 several years ago. Now the Stroker 18 is being used as my home sub.

Good luck with finding an amp for your system.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Power handling of a subwoofer is a function of (GASP!!!!) the enclosure (see other posts from me regarding subs and you will hopefully get my try at humor). Seriously though power handling does go hand in hand with enclosure design. Small sealed can handle gobs and gobs of power while big sealed/infinite baffle require significantly less power.

Soooo to answer your question, in my opinion get a class D monoblock (1 channel) amplifier. It will be more efficient, generally have all the crossover functionality needed (both low pass and a high pass SSF).

For your single 10 that is a 300 watt sub, a 400 watt amp at say 2 ohms will be fine. More power say 500-600 watts won't kill your sub if you use some common sense and either run small sealed or ported to help control excursion.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."

post #4 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys for clearing that up.

I was planning a vented enclosure but I changed my mind to sealed when I found the MB Quart driver...previously I was looking at the ED 11Kv.2 tuned to 30hz but I'd rather look more toward a shallow mount if the performance is reasonably close.

Don't know if it's allowed but is this Onlinecarstereo.com a reputible site? They seem to have some pretty low prices on stuff as compared to other online retailers.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter844 View Post

Thanks guys for clearing that up.

I was planning a vented enclosure but I changed my mind to sealed when I found the MB Quart driver...previously I was looking at the ED 11Kv.2 tuned to 30hz but I'd rather look more toward a shallow mount if the performance is reasonably close.

Don't know if it's allowed but is this Onlinecarstereo.com a reputible site? They seem to have some pretty low prices on stuff as compared to other online retailers.

Google reviews for that site. If memory serves, it's not a very reputable one.

XBL-Steelhouse1

post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post
Google reviews for that site. If memory serves, it's not a very reputable one.

Yeah...I think it's one of those sites where you have paypal them and they take your money and you might get your order someday.

I'd rather pay a bit more and use somebody more trusted.

EDIT: I went ahead and got the MB Quart Reference RLP304 12 found it for sale at Amazon

Amp of Choice:
Boston Acoustics GTA-400m
post #7 of 8 Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Have to go back in and do a remount once I get some screws long enough...it sounds really good with nice tight bass. I'll wait until it's mounted permanently to do all my fine tuning.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-16-2011, 05:15 PM

very nice!

XBL-Steelhouse1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav