• 1 Post By Rich Homie Tom
  • 1 Post By Robbiey60
Old 03-15-2016, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
using Sony Xplod car hi-fi stereo system components as a home music system

Hi guys! I am from India and new in this forum. I know online-shashki is one of the top forums when it comes to multimedia queries and concerns. So I hope I'll get proper guidance here and you'll excuse me if this question is being posted in a wrong section.

I own a PC speakers system called Logitech Z623 THX certified. It's a 200W RMS system with great bass output and sound clarity. Although it's 7 inch 130W RMS sub woofer gives me incredibly punchy and thumping bass for it's size at high to mid level volumes (I am a bass head audiophile btw ), I still like to have another full fledged 2.1 system for my home which would be more powerful with bigger sized and higher rated sub-woofer giving me those chest thumping sound that I desire a lot. (currently, I am only able to get neck thumps) I've been searching for the components for quite a long time and finally zeroed in on above mentioned parts:

SUB-WOOFER (12" WOOFER with a boxed enclosure) 1800W :
SONY XS-NW12022E

SPEAKERS (420w peak power, 50w rated power)
Sony XS-GTF69382

AMPLIFIER:
Sony XM-N1004 In Car Xplod Amplifier

Now the thing is I'VE NEVER ASSEMBLED A SPEAKER SYSTEM ON MY OWN so I've lots of doubts regarding whether this setup would actually work inside a home rather than a car!

Please help me with following doubts specifically:

1) Do I need any additional components besides these mentioned above? (I guess speaker cabinets as it doesn't come with speaker's enclosure only sub woofer's) If so, then please point out the links to compatible box enclosures for the same
2) Sub woofer mentions 1800W power which is insanely high. Is this it's PMPO rating or actual RMS rating?
3) Would my selected amplifier be able to handle sub woofer's power requirements safely ? If not you may suggest better amplifiers for this setup.

I've uploaded pictures of this components for this setup in the attachment below for your reference
thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: 1.jpg
Views: 357
Size: 147.1 KB
ID: 1316025 Click image for larger version

Name: 2.jpg
Views: 314
Size: 27.4 KB
ID: 1316033 Click image for larger version

Name: 3.jpg
Views: 246
Size: 30.9 KB
ID: 1316041
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I've done something similar to this for a gaming setup in my house. Your best bet would be to bridge 2 channels of your amp and run the sub off of it. This will give you about 175 watts to the subwoofer. Then just hook up your sony front speakers to the amp on the other 2 channels.

I first wanted to inform you on the best way to power it. Your best bet, is to take an old power supply from a computer. You'll want something with a 12 volt rail and at least 350 watts. I used the corsair cx430. From there, you strip all the yellow 12v power leads and wire them to your power in on the amp (with the power supply off and unplugged). Then you take all the black grounds and do the same thing. Lastly, you take a small wire and you jump the 12v power in on the amp to the remote line in. It's that easy.
MKG 2 likes this.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Toid View Post
I've done something similar to this for a gaming setup in my house. Your best bet would be to bridge 2 channels of your amp and run the sub off of it. This will give you about 175 watts to the subwoofer. Then just hook up your sony front speakers to the amp on the other 2 channels.

I first wanted to inform you on the best way to power it. Your best bet, is to take an old power supply from a computer. You'll want something with a 12 volt rail and at least 350 watts. I used the corsair cx430. From there, you strip all the yellow 12v power leads and wire them to your power in on the amp (with the power supply off and unplugged). Then you take all the black grounds and do the same thing. Lastly, you take a small wire and you jump the 12v power in on the amp to the remote line in. It's that easy.
I think I have to follow your first recommended step, i.e. using the sony amp to power those speakers. (as I don't have a spare PC power supply around... my current PC has corsair HX750 W PSU though )

btw, running this powerful sub on 175W would be like under utilizing the power output it can actually deliver, right? (I don't know the science of how to optimally run a 12 inch sub woofer of 1800 watt power output... so I am just guessing here)

Also, if you had a similar set-up, please guide me regarding the recommended enclosure type for sony co-axial speakers. They seem to sell it wihout any box unlike the "ready to install" sub-woofer unit

Old 03-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

I'll try to answer all your questions. The power supply is needed to power the amplifier. You can't just plug an amplifier into the the wall for power. So you need a computer power supply, which will plug into the wall and then deliver power to your amplifier. Otherwise you'll need to buy a 12volt power supply that can deliver at least 300 watts.

Second, your subwoofer isn't actually an 1800 watt subwoofer. It actually can only handle 300 watts RMS and up to 1800 watts max. Meaning, you can never run more than 300 watts continuous (RMS) on this subwoofer without damaging it. This is a marketing ploy that many manufacturers use to trick customers into thinking speakers are more powerful than they actually are.

If you use your amplifier that you currently have, the max you can drive that subwoofer is 175 watts RMS, which is more than half what it can take. That may not seem like much, but I'd hook it up and see what you think. It should do well. I actually have mine hooked up to about 100 watts RMS which can take up to a 500 watt RMS and it puts out more than I'd ever need.

As for the speakers. Coaxial car speakers really aren't made to be put in a box. They are considered infinite baffle. The best thing to do is usually build a stand for them with an open back. I hope this helps.
MKG 2 likes this.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a video showing you the power to the amplifier I was talking about. Unless you have another way to power the amplifier in which you haven't said. Otherwise you'll need something like this. Only pay attention to the first 3 minutes and 11 seconds. The rest of it does not apply to you.
MKG 2 likes this.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Those coaxial car speakers may be okay for near-field listening in the car but may sound weak in your room. I suggest you look at the used market, or get a pair of JBL studio 2 bookshelf speakers which are available in India.
For bass, that Sony 12" subs or another similar sub in a ported box might do the trick. Also get an amp that can be plugged into AC mains. 100 W rms should be enough to drive that sub quite loud.
MKG 2 likes this.

Speakers: Boston Acoustics VS260, VS325C
Subwoofers (sealed): Dayton UM18, 2x Infinity 1260 dual opposed + iNuke6000DSP
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2000
Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing my doubts guys!

Al Toid, I watched that video you linked me on how to hook up a PC power supply to a car amp (and all the related videos). I think it's not feasible for me to attempt doing that as it will void the warranty of my PSU which I would be buying to hook up that sony amp. So, if I mess things up, that new PSU will be screwed forever!

So I have decided to buy a switching DC power supply you linked as well. That specific shure SMPS isn't available on amazon India so I searched for similar unit and I found this:

SUPERNIGHT (TM) DC 12V 30A 360W Switch Power Supply for LED Strip Light Switching AC 110V/220V
(see the attached pic of this unit below)

Will it do the job for powering up the amp?

Also, madhuxs, ok...I will not buy those sony co-axial speakers for that sub but look into some bookshelf 2.0 speakers. Which one do you recommend? Also, my current choice revolves around a separate amp (sony car amp) and a power supply (supernight). Are there any Amplifiers available in India with built-in power supply which can be powered up directly via AC mains? Please let me know if such a device exists. That would be very helpful and cost effective too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: 31WmuZlKvWL.jpg
Views: 280
Size: 12.7 KB
ID: 1317945
Old 03-16-2016, 09:57 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Many people are using iNuke amps to power their subs, or you could get a BASH plate amp. I'm not sure if they sell them in your country, but you should look into those or something similar to power your sub.
MKG 2 likes this.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
Old 03-16-2016, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Behringer is sold on Amazon India - http://amazon.in/Behringer-NU300...ords=behringer
MKG 2 likes this.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 View Post
Behringer is sold on Amazon India -
thanks for the link and info.

but wow, Behringers are very expensive and overkill too. I don't think I would need a 3000W amplifier to power a 1800W 12 inch sub (having peak continuous output of 450W RMS)

A 300-400W RMS amplifier will suffice for the job I think.

what you guys think about this particular amp:
SUPERNIGHT (TM) DC 12V 30A 360W Switch Power Supply from Amazon India. It's at 3K only.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKG 2 View Post
thanks for the link and info.

but wow, Behringers are very expensive and overkill too. I don't think I would need a 3000W amplifier to power a 1800W 12 inch sub (having peak continuous output of 450W RMS)

A 300-400W RMS amplifier will suffice for the job I think.

what you guys think about this particular amp:
SUPERNIGHT (TM) DC 12V 30A 360W Switch Power Supply from Amazon India. It's at 3K only.
Like most Behringer products, the numbers are a little inflated but still a bargain (at least here in the US). That amp will do about 1,000w per channel into 2 ohms. If you used just one of the channels into your 4 ohm sub that would be about 600w. Or look for a smaller Behringer amp like the A-500 - http://amazon.in/Behringer-A500-...behringer+a500 or the iNuke 1000 with no DSP - http://amazon.in/Behringer-NU100...ehringer+inuke
MKG 2 likes this.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:04 PM

Looks like Dayton has a few subwoofer amps for sale on Amazon India. It just seems backward to buy a car amp for the house and then have to buy something to power the amp. Would it be cheaper to just buy an amp that is made to plug into the wall?
MKG 2 likes this.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
Old 03-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for clearing my doubts guys!

Al Toid, I watched that video you linked me on how to hook up a PC power supply to a car amp (and all the related videos). I think it's not feasible for me to attempt doing that as it will void the warranty of my PSU which I would be buying to hook up that sony amp. So, if I mess things up, that new PSU will be screwed forever!

So I have decided to buy a switching DC power supply you linked as well. That specific shure SMPS isn't available on amazon India so I searched for similar unit and I found this:

SUPERNIGHT (TM) DC 12V 30A 360W Switch Power Supply for LED Strip Light Switching AC 110V/220V
(see the attached pic of this unit below)

Will it do the job for powering up the amp?

Also, madhuxs, ok...I will not buy those sony co-axial speakers for that sub but look into some bookshelf 2.0 speakers. Which one do you recommend? Also, my current choice revolves around a separate amp (sony car amp) and a power supply (supernight). Are there any Amplifiers available in India with built-in power supply which can be powered up directly via AC mains? Please let me know if such a device exists. That would be very helpful and cost effective too.
I just want to clarify a few things. This is not an amp. This would only power that sony amp if you bought it. See, that Sony amp has to be adapted to the power that is used in your house. This would work to power that Sony amp you first referred to.

Having said that, I was under the impression you already owned all this equipment and was trying to figure out how to hook this all up. The only reason I did this for a gaming machine I have, was because I had most of the parts, so to assemble it was relatively cheap. Having reread your original post, it seems that is not the case. You can still build everything you said and I'm sure you'd be happy with it. Especially if you just want it to be loud and inexpensive. Having said that, if you want better quality, what the others are suggesting is a good way to go. Ultimately the decision and cost is up to you.
MKG 2 likes this.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
It just seems backward to buy a car amp for the house and then have to buy something to power the amp. Would it be cheaper to just buy an amp that is made to plug into the wall?
I agree! Buying a car amp and then investing in an extra equipment to power the amp seems to be a silly idea. Hopefully, someone should suggest an amplifier with a built in power supply which can hook up directly from the AC mains of my room's power source and power up the sony sub That would be an ideal solution.

btw, just to clarify I haven't bought the mentioned components in my original post. I have just selected those parts for later purchase once I confirm that setup will be compatible and work together without any issues. I don't want to get stuck after investing my money in these parts and later realizing that a certain equipment can't be powered!

Hence this thread.

Also, lot of my doubts are cleared as to powering up the sony amp and buying bookshelf speakers instead of sony's tiny co-axial speakers.

I still need some suggestions on an all in one amplifier module with built in power supply (at least 300W), so that Sony car amp + external power supply config can be eliminated for a single device which can deliver both functionalities.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:17 PM

The prices of the gear I am familiar with are exorbitant in India. This is mostly likely due to the high import duties; you may be better off looking into stuff that's manufactured in India. Since you are after chest thumping (mid) bass you should also consider looking into good quality pro audio gear.
MKG 2 likes this.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Though one thing's for sure - Sony Xplod 12 inch boxed sub woofer will be a must equipment for my speaker system as it packs in a huge amount of bass power output which not all subs can deliver at this price and size

Interestingly, that sony amp is specially designed for xplod sub so no fear of blowing it with over voltage or excessive wattage. The only gripe with it is having to power it up using another third party equipment. Still unsure of which power supply to go for here.

As for bookshelf speakers, I've heard these are pretty good and under my consideration:

Swans M100MKII
Old 03-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Though one thing's for sure - Sony Xplod 12 inch boxed sub woofer will be a must equipment for my speaker system as it packs in a huge amount of bass power output which not all subs can deliver at this price and size

Interestingly, that sony amp is specially designed for xplod sub so no fear of blowing it with over voltage or excessive wattage. The only gripe with it is having to power it up using another third party equipment. Still unsure of which power supply to go for here.

As for bookshelf speakers, I've heard these are pretty good and under my consideration:

Swans M100MKII
Let's start with the basics of audio to make sure we understand exactly what is needed. Each speaker needs an amplifier for power. These amplifiers need a power supply to power the amplifier. The amplifier also needs a source signal going to it (ie a cd play, bluetooth module) which will tell the amplifier what sounds to play. Lastly each speaker needs to be wired to an amplifier. If you are using multiple amplifiers (and if you are going to have a sub you will need to) these amplifiers need to be hooked up in a way that each gets the input signal.

Having said all this, those Swans you are looking at already have an amplifier built into them. This means there would be no way (easily) for these speakers to communicate to the subwoofer what sound to play. Instead of looking for powered speakers, you need to look for speakers, a mini amp, a subwoofer amp (plate amp) and a subwoofer.

If you want a basic inexpensive system here is what some people have done in the past. They use a basic Lepai amp. Make sure it comes with the power supply, not all do. A subwoofer plate amp and a subwoofer. Most people on this site swear by the infinity 1262. There's also a lot of build on here for some great sounding boxes. Then get a pair of non-powered bookshelf speakers.

The reason you want something like the Dayton amplifier vs some of the other plate amplifiers, is it has speaker wire in and out. A typical subwoofer for home application uses RCA's to hook it up. In most applications you would use a special preout on your amplifier to hook the sub up. Most inexpensive amps do not have this output. So instead, you run speaker wire from the Lepai amp, into the Dayton subwoofer amp, then out of the Dayton Subwoofer amp, into the bookshelf speakers. You now have everything hooked up perfectly. The only problem is I do not know if they carry those parts in India. If not, that is the basics of what you would be looking for.
madhuxs and MKG 2 like this.

Last edited by Al Toid; 03-16-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:01 AM

^Some great ideas there...
I think we'll be able to advise you better if you can tell us your budget and room size.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Let's start with the basics of audio to make sure we understand exactly what is needed. Each speaker needs an amplifier for power. These amplifiers need a power supply to power the amplifier. The amplifier also needs a source signal going to it (ie a cd play, bluetooth module) which will tell the amplifier what sounds to play. Lastly each speaker needs to be wired to an amplifier. If you are using multiple amplifiers (and if you are going to have a sub you will need to) these amplifiers need to be hooked up in a way that each gets the input signal.

Having said all this, those Swans you are looking at already have an amplifier built into them. This means there would be no way (easily) for these speakers to communicate to the subwoofer what sound to play. Instead of looking for powered speakers, you need to look for speakers, a mini amp, a subwoofer amp (plate amp) and a subwoofer.

If you want a basic inexpensive system here is what some people have done in the past. They use a basic Lepai amp. Make sure it comes with the power supply, not all do. A subwoofer plate amp and a subwoofer. Most people on this site swear by the infinity 1262. There's also a lot of build on here for some great sounding boxes. Then get a pair of non-powered bookshelf speakers.

The reason you want something like the Dayton amplifier vs some of the other plate amplifiers, is it has speaker wire in and out. A typical subwoofer for home application uses RCA's to hook it up. In most applications you would use a special preout on your amplifier to hook the sub up. Most inexpensive amps do not have this output. So instead, you run speaker wire from the Lepai amp, into the Dayton subwoofer amp, then out of the Dayton Subwoofer amp, into the bookshelf speakers. You now have everything hooked up perfectly. The only problem is I do not know if they carry those parts in India. If not, that is the basics of what you would be looking for.

Thanks for the links man! You've been very helpful I checked out all the parts you suggested... and wow those infinity 1262 subs are really powerful for the price and popular too. I may have to reconsider my decision for going with the Sony xplod sub! Oh, so a powered speaker cannot be hooked up to my setup.... have to start looking for passive speakers then... please suggest any good passive speakers with enclosures built in. If I go for infinity sub, then I have to buy the sub enclosure separately .. and I don't want to buy another enclosure just for the bookshelf speakers! btw, that Lepai amp you suggested is available here in India but it doesn't come with power supply! (there you go). I have to hunt for other amplifiers.

I have these under my consideration btw:
http://amazon.in/dp/B00BLQ2T9M/r...d=IYNU24LCQ44J
http://amazon.in/dp/B00696PTZU/r...=I15B2OICVRJMS

also this one:
http://amazon.in/dp/B002WLEYTS/r...I2EFFJG1ALF4ZA
it's sick how much power this one packs in for the lower price!
500W x 4 Output at 4 Ohms
1000W x 2 bridged Output at 2 Ohms!

I guess all these amps don't come with power supply and I have to find a way to power them using external power source right?

I doubt it's overkill for Infinity 12" sub having a 300W RMS rating (continuous)

Interestingly, I found sonicelectronix selling a pair of Infinity 12" subs along with nice ported enclosures built in here:
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_...REF1220DE.html
they suggest 200 - 600 watts RMS @ 2 ohms operation for this beast.

Should I go for a single 12" sub (with enclosure having to buy separately) or a pair of two 12" Infinity subs with built in ported enclosures?

I also prefer ready to hook up speaker parts rather than trying to drill my way into making a sub work inside a third party separately purchased box! I am sceptical of assembling speakers at construction level as I am not a speaker expert but a Computer engineer

Also, I will be using my speaker setup for my personal room not the main hall. So, my room isn't that big. It's the size of a usual bed room.

summery of my current considerations:

1) subwoofer: Infinity 12" single/dual sub
2) Amp: Alpine MRV-M250 Mono subwoofer amplifier - 250 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms (for single sub)
Lanzar VCT4110 2,000-Watt 4-Channel High-Power Mosfet Amplifier (for dual subs with enclosures)

3) power source for the amp: STILL UNSURE
4) passive bookshelf speakers: STILL UNSURE
Old 03-18-2016, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I more doubt, would I be needing two amplifiers?? One for sub and other for speakers?? ... or amplifiers can power both subs and speakers?
Old 03-18-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
also this one:
http://amazon.in/dp/B002WLEYTS/r...I2EFFJG1ALF4ZA
it's sick how much power this one packs in for the lower price!
500W x 4 Output at 4 Ohms
1000W x 2 bridged Output at 2 Ohms!
Do not believe everything you read. Amazon wants to sell you you something and when you research, the findings are a little different. The Lanzar owner's manual http://lanzar.com/sku/VCT4110/20...SFET-Amplifier has different numbers for the VCT-4110. At 14.4v DC with a 1khz sine wave, the amp pushes 50w x 4 channels. The 1,000w x 2 is the "if hit by lightning" rating. You also have 2 things going against you. First, if you get a 12v power supply then you will be sending the amp less voltage than what was measured with. That means you will have a lower wattage rating on the output side of the amp. Second, the test was done with a 1khz which is easier on the amp. When using it for bass signals then you need to consider the output may be lower. On some of the professional amps we recommend, the output is down 1/3 from the published specs.

Quote:
I guess all these amps don't come with power supply and I have to find a way to power them using external power source right?
All of the amps you have chosen are designed for car audio use. The Dayton amps mentioned above and the Behringer amps I mentioned in both of my earlier posts are designed for use on household current. Nothing extra to buy.

Quote:
Interestingly, I found sonicelectronix selling a pair of Infinity 12" subs along with nice ported enclosures built in here:
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_...REF1220DE.html
they suggest 200 - 600 watts RMS @ 2 ohms operation for this beast.
What is your goal for this system? Music only, it might work. That box is designed for music, not home theater.

Quote:
I also prefer ready to hook up speaker parts rather than trying to drill my way into making a sub work inside a third party separately purchased box! I am sceptical of assembling speakers at construction level as I am not a speaker expert but a Computer engineer
There are only a handful of professionals here. For everyone else it is a hobby and learning experience. I bought my first book on designing speakers in 1986 and I am still trying to learn something new about speaker design every day. Same thing for the woodworking side of the hobby.
MKG 2 likes this.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What is your goal for this system? Music only, it might work. That box is designed for music, not home theater.
Yes. My primary goal is to build a powerful music system for my room which would provide clean, accurate and tight bass with bookshelf speakers having crisp mids and highs. For home theatre purpose, I already own a THX speaker system called Logitech Z623 and I am very happy with it's performance. It has very deep bass output ideal for home cinema on my PC. But as I said, it's mainly a high end PC speaker. ... not a full fledged Hi fi music system.

Quote:
All of the amps you have chosen are designed for car audio use. The Dayton amps mentioned above and the Behringer amps I mentioned in both of my earlier posts are designed for use on household current. Nothing extra to buy.
I will look into those brands of amplifiers. Yes it would make sense to buy an amp meant for use with the household current rather than wasting time, money and energy trying to figure out all sorts of crazy experiments in hooking up car amp in house!

Quote:
There are only a handful of professionals here. For everyone else it is a hobby and learning experience. I bought my first book on designing speakers in 1986 and I am still trying to learn something new about speaker design every day. Same thing for the woodworking side of the hobby.
I like online-shashki forum. I've been a visitor of this for a very long time but only had the reason to join it recently due to my doubts regarding speaker setups. I've never done a custom DIY kind of speaker build... (though I've assembled many computers on my own since 2005 haha)

I agree there's a lot to learn when it comes to speaker design. Besides the usual wattage, impedance, Ohm matching, the type of amplifier, sub enclosure, speaker is equally important to choose for compatibility.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

ok, I checked it .

Behringer NU1000 iNuke Ultra-Lightweight, High-Density 1000-Watt Power Amplifier seems to be having a power supply built in. No fuss of hooking up any extra power source. Just hook up subs and speakers ... and you're on for a music party.

(I hope )
Old 03-18-2016, 07:38 PM

Do you have a Receiver? If so, which one do you have?
Old 03-19-2016, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I guess all these amps don't come with power supply and I have to find a way to power them using external power source right? :
That is correct. And they will be very expensive if you think you will be running those amps at anywhere near their max power. You see car equipment runs off a different power source than a home. Therefore you will need to convert the power to your home power. When you do this you will have to choose a power supply that can power it. So for instance if you want a 2000 watt amplifier to run, you will be spending hundreds if not thousands of US dollars just for the power supply. Not to mention you would then need capacitors to store up energy. Honestly, you are looking at all the wrong equipment. Do not look at any car equipment. It isn't made for the house. And honestly, you are making a huge mistake by looking at Watts. I know what you are doing, because most of us have been here. We see 2000 watts and we think, that must sound great! It doesn't. If a speaker needs 2000 watts and isn't an 18-32" speaker, then it is probably very inefficient. A good sounding system, instead will have the correct amount of watts for the sensitivity of the speaker. AKA the more sensitive a speaker, the less wattage needed to power them to the same audible level.

Honestly stop looking at the car stuff and look only at home theater. Buy a plate amplifier or an already assembled sub. Do you have Cadence Audio there? If so look up the Cadence CSX-MKII. For the price, you can't beat it. It comes with an amplifier and has great sound. Then get a home amplifier and some bookshelf speakers. If you want a 12v power supply for the Lepai Amp, just get a 12v 3amp power supply. They are under $10.

I hope you have enough answers to get started. Let us know wht you finally decide to get.
MKG 2 likes this.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'd 110% stay away from installing any car audio in my HT. Your ears will thank you brotha
MKG 2 likes this.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is correct. And they will be very expensive if you think you will be running those amps at anywhere near their max power. You see car equipment runs off a different power source than a home. Therefore you will need to convert the power to your home power. When you do this you will have to choose a power supply that can power it. So for instance if you want a 2000 watt amplifier to run, you will be spending hundreds if not thousands of US dollars just for the power supply. Not to mention you would then need capacitors to store up energy. Honestly, you are looking at all the wrong equipment. Do not look at any car equipment. It isn't made for the house. And honestly, you are making a huge mistake by looking at Watts. I know what you are doing, because most of us have been here. We see 2000 watts and we think, that must sound great! It doesn't. If a speaker needs 2000 watts and isn't an 18-32" speaker, then it is probably very inefficient. A good sounding system, instead will have the correct amount of watts for the sensitivity of the speaker. AKA the more sensitive a speaker, the less wattage needed to power them to the same audible level.

Honestly stop looking at the car stuff and look only at home theater. Buy a plate amplifier or an already assembled sub. Do you have Cadence Audio there? If so look up the Cadence CSX-MKII. For the price, you can't beat it. It comes with an amplifier and has great sound. Then get a home amplifier and some bookshelf speakers. If you want a 12v power supply for the Lepai Amp, just get a 12v 3amp power supply. They are under $10.

I hope you have enough answers to get started. Let us know wht you finally decide to get.
I have to agree with you on this. Yes. It now seems like going for car audio equipment for home use isn't a feasible option. Set aside all the headaches of powering it up on home current, it cannot be guaranteed that it will fill the room with earth rattling and tight bass as it would inside the closed confines of a small car. They are called "car boom boxes" for a reason. I asked the similar questions on Yahoo answers and many have suggested against going for car audio (including that infinity 1262 sub).

haha, back to ground zero again. You know, before I inclined towards car audio, I had considered a home audio system, specifically - Sony shake66D. But there aren't many reviews on this system... and a handful that are, suggest they don't produce powerful thumping and resounding bass for it's huge asking price and size. So, I swayed away from considering it under my option.

But hopefully, interacting with you has cleared a lot of my doubts and helped me get in the correct direction towards owning the right audio system to fulfil the kind of sound output I was originally looking for.

and that brings the next (challenging) question....also a good news... I've looked up a few "active sub-woofers" as you suggested and they really seems to beat car audio subs in terms of bass performance, technology used and sound fidelity (judging by the user reviews). But unfortunately, that specific model which you suggested (Cadence CSX-MKII) isn't available here in India. I've checked thoroughly on Amazon.in and eBay.in with no results Though based on the similar type, I did find a couple of active powered subs selling here in India. Though the choices are very limited I must say!

Here's the list of almost all active subs in the 12 inch size category available here in India:
1) http://amazon.in/Thonet-Vander-S...productDetails

this one claims to be a german company. I've checked their official site too and they state this sub as their "flagship" high end active sub woofer.
http://thonet-vander.com/sw10.html

(but it has 100W RMS continuous output and 10 inch sub .... my current Logitech sub is 130W and I guess much powerful than that)

2) Jamo J12 Front Firing 12 Inchs / 400w Active Sub Woofer
(200W continuous RMS rating)
http://ebay.in/itm/Jamo-J12-Fron...UAAOSw5dNWlPKB

3) Polk Audio DSW PRO660 Wi 12"
http://ebay.in/itm/Polk-Audio-DS...IAAOSwgkRVUfhw

This one is the highest rated and most impressive I've seen till now: 400W RMS continuous power

Interestingly, Polk audio's sub (which is better in terms of power and quality I think) is 5k cheaper than the Jamo's . I am already inclining towards Polk audio. Is it a reputable brand in home music systems?
Old 03-19-2016, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I would post more of what is available to you and your price range. You need 1 a receiver. 2 a set of bookshelf speakers. And 3 a powered subwoofer. Just forget about car audio completely. I personally would buy a receiver and bookshelves 1st then save up for a sub.
MKG 2 likes this.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't know what shipping would cost but a image dynamics CTX 128 would do well at 175 watts and its 50 bucks on sonix electronics and you could buy a sealed box for it. They only need 1.5 cubic feet.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

if you aren't going to build any speakers, your best bet would be to move this thread to the speaker forum and get their opinion on what bookshelf speakers and pre-made subwoofer would be best for you. They would be better equipped to guide you from here on out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement