Forum Jump:
Old 12-13-2016, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Best BD release of Hero (Jet Li)?

Does anyone have any information on what is the best release from around the world of Jet Li's 2002 film Hero? The U.S. and U.K. Blu-ray's only have the English dub in DTS-HD MA, while the original Mandarin is left with a lossy Dolby 5.1 track. Having no luck finding much information on any Asian releases of the film with English subtitles. I know the Japanese disc is supposed to be good, but has no English subtitles. Any information would be great. Thanks.

P.S. - I'm region free, so that's not an issue at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 01:24 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Does anyone have any information on what is the best release from around the world of Jet Li's 2002 film Hero? The U.S. and U.K. Blu-ray's only have the English dub in DTS-HD MA, while the original Mandarin is left with a lossy Dolby 5.1 track. Having no luck finding much information on any Asian releases of the film with English subtitles. I know the Japanese disc is supposed to be good, but has no English subtitles. Any information would be great. Thanks.

P.S. - I'm region free, so that's not an issue at all.
In addition to the lossy Mandarin audio, the American disc also has terrible subtitles and the video transfer is just OK.

There's a Spanish disc that has the superior theatrical English subtitle translation, but the video is slightly worse and the audio quality is dreadful. (It sounds like the original 5.1 was downmixed to stereo and then upmixed back to 5.0, dropping the bass entirely).

I'm not aware of any better Blu-rays, but I hold out hope for one.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
In addition to the lossy Mandarin audio, the American disc also has terrible subtitles and the video transfer is just OK.

There's a Spanish disc that has the superior theatrical English subtitle translation, but the video is slightly worse and the audio quality is dreadful. (It sounds like the original 5.1 was downmixed to stereo and then upmixed back to 5.0, dropping the bass entirely).

I'm not aware of any better Blu-rays, but I hold out hope for one.
I think I read about a Korean release that supposedly very good, but I don't know where to order it.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Unless someone takes the rights from Miramax, we'll never get a proper BD release in this country and certainly not a UHD-BD release. Every single release of the film - it was released every few years since the format came out - was the same HD master used for the DVD release and it shows in the quality, when compared to recent films that are just a few years older. The Korean edition has horrible video and lossless audio, so that's the only selling point. The Japanese edition has lossless audio too, but no English subtitles and I haven't a clue how good the video is since nobody outside of Japan seems to own the disc and reported on it.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I don't know why these studios continue to butcher these movie gems and give us such half-assed releases of them.

I had given up all hope on Tampopo until 30 years later Criterion and Janus decided to restore it and release it properly.

At this rate, we can only hope that Hero gets the same treatment 15 years from now. But even that is being incredibly optimistic. Which is too bad, since Hero is one of my fave movies of all time.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I'll just break down and get the U.S. release. Hopefully Criterion will get a hold of the rights and do the film justice in the future.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 529
The Japanese version bluray tends to have the best picture quality. However, it only comes in Japanese subtitle, so not good for people who need subtitle.

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/12221985/

The audio tracks are original Mandarin Dolby TruHD 5.1 and dubbed Japanese Dolby TruHD 5.1.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:53 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
The Japanese version bluray tends to have the best picture quality. However, it only comes in Japanese subtitle, so not good for people who need subtitle.

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/12221985/

The audio tracks are original Mandarin Dolby TruHD 5.1 and dubbed Japanese Dolby TruHD 5.1.
I can't speak to the quality of the Japanese Blu-ray, but for what it's worth, here are links to a couple of retailers with English-friendly web sites that carry it:

http://hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Movie...m_HERO_5352629

http://cdjapan.co.jp/product/TCBD-224

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement