Forum Jump:
Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi All,

I would like to replace the Home Depot under counter refirgerator I bought as a temporary solution with something nicer that meets my needs. I thought my needs were pretty straight forward but, after a lot of looking, I must be out of the ordinary. I am hoping someone on here can help point me to a product that will work.

First, the unit must be under counter so it needs to be 34" or so tall and 24" wide and deep. I would like a Stainless steel full wrap door. Black or stainless body is fine. It also needs to be quite as it is in the same room as they projector.

Now for the hard part. I want it to actually get cold. You can spend $1800 bucks and get a relabeled Wine Cooler than only goes down to 40 degrees, but getting a true refrigerator that will chill soda and beer down to say 35 degrees is hard to come by. It may just be me, but 40 degree beer and pop tastes too warm. I want it ice cold. I thought I could get used to it with the fridge I have which gets pop to about 41 but it is not working. I need cold.

Anyone have any ideas of brands that would work?

Thanks in advance!

Shan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking too!

The problem I usually find is when I actually find a place that sells a 35"x24" it is NOT an undercounter. It needs to vent in the front to actually get enough air to chill properly under a counter! They try to pawn off a compact fridge as an undercounter. Its not until you read the manual that it actually advises AGAINST putting it under a counter.

It would be nice if it was around $400-$500. All the under counters that I find are in the $1200 range! I just bought a band new full size for under $300!!!

If you cannot tell the difference between HD and SD on a large screen TV get your frackin' eyes checked!
XBox Live: Vinny516
Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 AM

what about a small freezer and using an external thermostat that turns the unit off when at the appropriate temp. Or you can replace the internal thermostat yourself.

that's what people building keggerators do.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I would prefer not to hack something together, but appreciate the suggestion.

I am even willing to pay ~$1500 or so to get a decent one, if that is what it takes.

Shan
Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 AM

Here is the one I use. http://products.geappliances.com/App...SCS&SITEID=GEA

In the manual, it says not to install in a recessed area. But it also says that the minimum clearences are:
Sides - 1/2"
Top - 2"
Back - 2"

I have it under my counter and I meet all the minimum clearences with ease. I actually had to turn the thermostat down because I was getting ice in my drinks. I got it at Sams club, so if it didn't work i could take it back with no problems.

I should have pictures of it in my contsruction thread tonight.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is a full wrap door solid front or just a stainless border with a glass front. U-line makes coolers I think that will go into the low forty's or high thirty's. I got from Sears but it is black and glass front door. It has a white wine setting I use and it keeps both the beer and soda cold enough.

Erik
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Try these....A little pricey but they get nice and cold.
http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/pr...1399&prod=1172

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:25 PM
HT1

I'm looking at this place for my kegerator, maybe they have something in the appliance catagory that will work for you.
http://beveragefactory.com/refri...in/index.shtml

I like this place!!!
HT1
Check Out Bar / Theater 1.0
Old 01-24-2008, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear50 View Post

Try these....A little pricey but they get nice and cold.
http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/pr...1399&prod=1172

Do you have this? I looked at it but there were several comments from people complaining it was loud.

The other issue with this is that there is only one small cold zone. Everything else is 15-20 degrees warmer...which sucks since I do not drink wine. Means most of the space is wasted for me...unless I do not understand how it works.

Shan
Old 01-24-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT1 View Post

I'm looking at this place for my kegerator, maybe they have something in the appliance catagory that will work for you.
http://beveragefactory.com/refri...in/index.shtml

Thanks, I have been looking there. The problem with shopping for these things is very few manufacturuers quote what temps their thermostats range. Summit's, one of the big manufacturers, reply to my question about temps was that things get cold...how cold depends on how often the door is opened. They could not/would not tell me what the compressor kick off temp is when the thermostat is set to its coldest level. I even asked for a +/- 5 degree accuracy and they would not quote anything. Apparently, most of the world is satisfied with chilled drinks, not cold. I want a beverage fridge so I can set the temp low enough to get my pop/beer cold without freezing items in my main fridge.

Thanks for the help guys. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Shan
Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
HT1

I understand and agree 100%. If I decide to buy from them I will be sure to check there return policy if I'm not happy with the product. I want my beer on the edge of slush. Good luck with your search and if you find something post back and let us know what it is.

I like this place!!!
HT1
Old 01-25-2008, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the model that was made just prior to the link I sent you. I bought it last year through Whirlpool direct sales and I haven't had any trouble with it keeping anything cold. We use it in the kitchen island as a beer reserve; I might get another one when I have the lower level completed.

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 AM
HT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Thanks, I have been looking there. The problem with shopping for these things is very few manufacturuers quote what temps their thermostats range. Summit's, one of the big manufacturers, reply to my question about temps was that things get cold...how cold depends on how often the door is opened. They could not/would not tell me what the compressor kick off temp is when the thermostat is set to its coldest level. I even asked for a +/- 5 degree accuracy and they would not quote anything. Apparently, most of the world is satisfied with chilled drinks, not cold. I want a beverage fridge so I can set the temp low enough to get my pop/beer cold without freezing items in my main fridge.

Thanks for the help guys. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Shan

Look here http://kegworks.com/product.php?...cat=752&page=1, this actually shows a thermostat range of 34 to 50 degrees. I know it's not an under the counter refrigerator but maybe they have one that will do the same.

I like this place!!!
HT1
Old 01-25-2008, 10:32 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Some experiences I have had:

1) Stay away from U-line. We had one and it was replaced twice before it finally lasted long enough to be out of warranty before it dies.

2) Replaced it with a Kenmore (not sure who made it) and it works, but even on the highest setting, it still partially freezes drinks.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 814
bump
I'm looking for a undercounter refrig for the area next to our HT.
The GE listed here looks decent, and under $250, how loud (db) is it when running?

Also, are any of these or other/newer ones energy star compliant?

The el-cheapo @ HomeDepot ($170) used $36/year in electricity, so I'd not spend too much extra coin for one.
Bad review @ HD also...
http://homedepot.com/Appliances-...atalogId=10053

Quote:
"This is not the right refrigerator if you are using it in a small work space. There is a very noticeable, irritating noise that will not go away. Also, the ice build-up in the freezer is almost immediate and accumulates very quickly - within a few weeks, the freezer needs to be defrosted, and this is on medium settings.
The size is good, it looks nice and the internal shelves are just the right size and space, but only purchase this model if you will not be sitting near it."

Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 PM

We had an undercounter GE refrigerator with a small freezer section at the top, very similar to the post prior to this. My wife wanted the nicer Kitchen Aid and I insisted on the very much less expensive GE since it was just going to be used for drinks in the entertainment room. I argued that my sister had the same GE unit in her game room and it worked for them. Well, I should have listened to my wife. We constantly had leaking condensation out the front of the refrigerator. It was always frost covered at the freezer and was either too cold and frozen or too warm and leaking condensation. I got tired of defrosting it and cleaning up water off the floor. After two frustrating years, I broke down and replaced it with the Kitchen Aid Architect II series and have been very pleased ever since. I subsequently learned that my sister also had to replace hers due to similar concerns.

The GE, as does the Kitchen Aid, vents in the front so it can be installed undercounter, but make sure anything you get for undercounter use circulates and vents air to the front. Also, do not get an undercounter with a freezer in it, as the freezer is where the ice and frost comes from. The condensation problem evaporated when we got rid of the freezer component.

In the end, I realized you do get what you pay for. I just had to learn it the expensive way and now have the first unit in my garage. Since then the thermostat has quit working on the GE and we have not had a probem at all with the Kitchen Aid.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Surely, they have a Sub-Zero JR.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Thx for info, I'll stay away from the undercounter GE refrigerator.
The local lowes has this unit in stock for $390, Frigidaire 46-Bottle Capacity Beverage Center (Stainless)
http://lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

Quote:

Color Stainless
Height to Top of Case (Inches) 34
Height to Top of Door Hinge (Inches) 34
Width (Inches) 21 1/2
Manufacturer's Warranty (Parts) Limited 1-year
Manufacturer's Warranty (Labor) Limited 1-year
Color / Finish Family Stainless
Capacity (Bottles / Cans) 46
Adjustable Temperature Control Yes
Reversible Door Yes
Depth, Including Handles (Inches) 22 3/8
Depth, Excluding Handles (Inches) 22 3/8
Depth, Less Door (Inches) 21 1/8

wow, those Kitchen Aid Architect II series bev centers are $1.1k! Lotta coin there.....
http://google.com/search?q=Kitch...A&ved=0CEUQrQQ
Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Well;
I bought the Frigidaire 46-Bottle one from Lowes last night, it has 30 day no Q asked 100% return policy.

Unboxed it this morning, plugged it in, set the temp for 38deg f.
My Radio Shack db meter says 51db or less, there is a small higher freq "humm" from it though, not bad but louder than the older stand up refrig/freezer unit its replacing....
When I next hook up REW for my acoustic readings (with Berringer8000 mic) I'll take a RTA and see what freq and "real" db it is at.

For now, it's not annoying at all but we'll give it 2 weeks time before I pass judgment.

fwiw;
It's gonna replace this still working stand up refrig/freezer.
(we also got a full size Freezer that is going in the utility room, which is sealed off from basement)

which as you can see from this older pict (pre-acoustics panels), there HT does NOT have Double French Doors just yet, so I'm senstitive to sound level, just like you guys with the open basement HT are....
Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM

Check out the electrolux. I have one and love it.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like you found what you were looking for, but Avanti is another option if you end up not liking the one you have. They have a couple of different models, but since you're looking for something under the counter, you definitely want the ones that are vented from the front (as was previously mentioned).

I have the slim 15" wide under counter model, and it is very quiet (a concern of mine too since it's in the same room as the PJ), but they make larger ones around 24" wide as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM

does anyone wish they had an ice maker in their theater? i am in the planning stages and i can't decide if i should go with an undercounter beverage firdge or something a little bigger with an ice maker...
Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1979 View Post

does anyone wish they had an ice maker in their theater? i am in the planning stages and i can't decide if i should go with an undercounter beverage firdge or something a little bigger with an ice maker...

I don't. The beverage center works out great for me because bottles and cans are easy to grab quick and have a seat. Having ice would require a separate glass, which means more storage necessary for glasses and more clean-up is required.

Some people have full blown kitchens with sinks and dishwashers in (or near) their theater, and I can see having an ice maker in that situation. Guess it depends on your setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement