Forum Jump:
Old 01-14-2008, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 24
As the title says, I've had my PS3 for a year, but had no way to connect it via HDMI until this weekend. I purchased a Sony 5300ES receiver, and am now using HDMI for my Comcast HD DVR/Cable box, my HD DVD player, and am trying to make things work with the PS3.

Within the PS3 menus, the resolution is set correctly, HDMI is setup correctly, everything I can find is set up correctly. What happens is that the Blu Ray disc starts, the screen goes blank, the movie rating logo then appears, and finally the screen goes blank again. You hear the menu screen starting, you can even hit play, and hear the sound, but you get no video of the movie.

I tried several movies without any change. The one thing that was odd, however, is that when I tried the movie "We Are Marshall" the entire pre-movie special segment about West Virginia plays, but after that, you can hear the menu screen and sound but again, you just get a blank screen. This makes no sense, and doesn't even seem possible to me.

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated. I know it's not an issue with the receiver, as all HDMI ports work perfectly with both the HD DVD player, and the HD DVR/Cable box.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Someone must have an idea of what is causing this. Please, I need some help. I have half a dozen Blu Ray discs to watch, including two from Netflix, and I can't do anything.

John
Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is possible that the PS3 is now sending out a 1080/24p signal because your reciever supports it, and then your reciever is passing that along to your TV which doesn't.

If your PS3's 1080/24p setting is set to "automatic" try turning it to "off".

BD/DVD settings: 24hz

Old 01-17-2008, 12:52 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

What Norem suggested is what I though, too. I have the PS3 and the 5300 with no problems, so the only thing I can think of is the 24fps setting.

Pics from my TV here and here.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys. I will try that out right away.

John
Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norem View Post

It is possible that the PS3 is now sending out a 1080/24p signal because your reciever supports it, and then your reciever is passing that along to your TV which doesn't.

thanks, i just tried my first blu ray movie, and didn't get a picture.
i have the ps3 plugged directly into my samsung 46 lcd 1080p via hdmi.
got a picture when i turned the 1080/24p setting to "off".
Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 AM

I got this issue last night, but with a PS3 game. I turned on my PS3 and could hear the sound, but no picture. I am using HDMI and the video and sound both go into the TV, so the connection was good. I turned off the PS3 and then back on, and then it came up with video, but gave me a message that it detected HDMI and would I like to use it? Interesting. I said yes, of course, and then everything was back to normal. I remember doing this when I FIRST connected the PS3, but why would it lose the setting and have to do it again?

PSN: chaddgar, jrinck
Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrinck View Post

I got this issue last night, but with a PS3 game. I turned on my PS3 and could hear the sound, but no picture. I am using HDMI and the video and sound both go into the TV, so the connection was good. I turned off the PS3 and then back on, and then it came up with video, but gave me a message that it detected HDMI and would I like to use it? Interesting. I said yes, of course, and then everything was back to normal. I remember doing this when I FIRST connected the PS3, but why would it lose the setting and have to do it again?

It's happened to me also. What I think happened is that one time when I turned the PS3 off at the unit I must have pressed the button for too long which resets the PS3 to it's initial default state. The default out of the box setting is set to output composite.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboTHX1138 View Post

It's happened to me also. What I think happened is that one time when I turned the PS3 off at the unit I must have pressed the button for too long which resets the PS3 to it's initial default state. The default out of the box setting is set to output composite.

That makes sense. I'll make sure not to hold that button down too long, then.

PSN: chaddgar, jrinck
Old 02-06-2008, 12:45 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboTHX1138 View Post

Just to clarify, holding the button does reset the PS3's video output.

If you are only using HDMI, however, it will autodect the display and set the HDMI output properly. This is actually the 'fix' for many PS3 HDMI output issues.

Cheers!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 PM

Norem's suggestion: This fixed the problem for me, thanks a lot, it was really going to piss me off if I couldn't watch Blu-rays. Awesome post!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norem View Post

This fixed the problem for me, thanks a lot, it was really going to piss me off if I couldn't watch Blu-rays. Awesome post!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 PM

If I can't see anything on my TV screen from the PS3 how do I change the 1080/24p setting? By the way it was working fine then one day I just stopped seeing the picture but could still hear the sounds.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
Use this thread:

/t/931796/official-ps3-faq-master-thread#post_14491190

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM

I had the same problem with a used TV I bought. Thought the HDMI port was bad but once I changed the PS3 settings to 720p, had no problems. Thanks for the post.smile.gif
Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am having the same issue no video but I do have sound on ps4 and my cable has sound but no video on either. i am running hdmi out from my pioneer vsx 822 to my vizio led tv hdmi 1 (in). My cable box is going into my receivers hdmi as welll as my ps4. I am getting sound from cable and from ps4 but no video. It begins to retrieve and then goes no signal....i feel like its the hdmi passing video incorrectly but i may be wrong....any one have ne suggestions?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
Since neither of your devices have video, try the thread for your receiver.

/t/1433903/offical-pioneer-vsx-822k-owners-thread

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb