Forum Jump:
Old 04-14-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it if it was.

So I'm jumping into the projector space pretty soon with an Optoma HD65 and I couldn't be more pumped. One of the things I'm really looking forward to is Wii games (shooters in particular) on the big screen. I can't figure out for the life of me though what I'm going to do about the sensor bar. There's no way the bar that comes with the Wii is going to cover a 100" screen. So what do you folks who are getting your Wii on on the big screen doing about setting up a Wii to be functional with it.

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've read that in most cases, going with a wireless sensor bar is the best bet for FP screens. There are several 3rd party ones out there & I seem to recall some being longer or covering a wider field (all it's doing is emitting IR signals that your Wiimote picks up via the front "window"). Some have found that 2 evenly placed candles in a moderately to dimly lit room will also work - seriously! This last XMAS, the tree light played havoc on the Wii IR sensing in our living room & this was with a 51" RPTV.

I've seen a few different wireless sensor bars in many stores & there are a plethora of 'em online. The main advantage to wireless is that you can really experiment with placement.

The downside is yet more Wii-related batteries, but I believe there are some wireless sensor bars that are also rechargable - but not sure. I'd say Google Shopping is your best friend at the moment!

I'd also think the FP forums here @ online-shashki are bound to have a few big screen guys who have dealt with getting the Wii to work in situations such as your upcoming one. But from what I've read here in the past, others have made it work.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I used to run the Wii on a 76" front projection screen with the stock sensor bar before we sold our house. I sat 10-12 feet from the screen and didn't have any problems. That being said, I plan to make my own sensor bar after we move into the next place. All you need is 2 sources of IR light. Be it candles, LEDs, or another source.

The wireless sensor bar could also be an option. Is the Wii going to be close to the screen? If so, try the stock. If not, might need to go wireless.

I'm confused too.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yes, get a wireless sensor bar. Mine takes SIX AA batteries--to illuminates a few IR beams--ridiculous but it works better than the supplied bar. Pick up some rechargeable eneloops and you're good to go.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nextronic's HD version is very good, comes with a brick and provides a non jittering pointer. But without any calibration you wont be able to line up much on a 100" screen.

Toshiba TLP-650, Infocus 4805, Panasonic AE2000, JVC DLA-RS400U
HK AVR-8000, Yamaha RX-V681BL, Sansui (yes they were awesome)
Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Nextronic's HD is the one I have (w/plug) and is 15 inches wide instead of 9. I have a 133 inch screen. I have had no problems.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:19 AM
online-shashki Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 792
JUst lay it on the floor in front of your screen and it works fine... Follow the link below to see my home theater where we play the Wii...

My Sony VPL-VW885ES 4K Laser Projector Review:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1513478023951
Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah sure it works but with shooting Id like some ability to line up the aim. How to do that?

Toshiba TLP-650, Infocus 4805, Panasonic AE2000, JVC DLA-RS400U
HK AVR-8000, Yamaha RX-V681BL, Sansui (yes they were awesome)
Old 04-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
None of the Wii games have 1:1 mapping.. you won't be able to line up until they get that sorted.. Shooting games are still "Mouse-y"

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 PM

FYI for anyone interested... BB has the NYKO wireless sensor bar on sale this week for $9.99.

I have had one for a couple years now & been very happy with it.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 AM

I'm just using the OEM bar with my 119" screen. it's underneath the screen. Not an issue at all if your Wii is in the front of the room.

-Trouble
Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
kbp

Has anyone tried cutting a sensor bar into two pieces to make a wider bar. (Jumper wires obviously required). What about using two sensor bars and blacking out the LEDs on one side of each bar? Would something like this work if the two sources were placed at mid-height of the screen, one on each side? Would this make for more accurate pointing or for better calibration on shooters that have calibration?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp View Post

Has anyone tried cutting a sensor bar into two pieces to make a wider bar. (Jumper wires obviously required). What about using two sensor bars and blacking out the LEDs on one side of each bar? Would something like this work if the two sources were placed at mid-height of the screen, one on each side? Would this make for more accurate pointing or for better calibration on shooters that have calibration?

Some of the guys in the pj forums have said they've had good results opening the case of the bar to separate the two LEDs farther. Some have also claimed to have been met with good results using two bars and blacking out an LED on each.

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:05 PM
kbp

Thanks for the info. I didn't think to look in the PJ forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement