1 2 3
PlayStation Area > Problems with PS3 and HDMI Switch?
legolad's Avatar legolad 02:38 PM 12-01-2006
Had this over in General Gaming, but got no response. Moving it here.

Hey folks.

I own a 5x1 HDMI switch from Monoprice and a PS3. I am using good cables from Monoprice as well, but I am not able to get the HDMI signal from my PS3 to work through the HDMI switch.

I have a 45' Monoprice HDMI cable running from the switch to my Panasonic AE900U projector. I can connect the PS3 directly to the projector with this same cable and it works fine (i.e. looks AWESOME!). But when I connect the PS3 to the switch with a 3' Monoprice HDMI cable (and use the 45' cable from the switch to the projector), I get no video at all.

Now this switch works great with all my other HDMI equipment. I've swapped ports. I've tried booting things in different order, but no success.

Has anyone else had this problem? It may be a problem with the Sony HDMI port. I know they support HDMI 1.3, but I don't see why that would cause a problem like this.

If you can think of anything helpful, I would very much appreciate it.

djw99's Avatar djw99 04:32 PM 12-01-2006
I have the 5x1 monoprice switch as well and was having the same problem as you. At first I realized the ps3 was unable to figure out that it had to output hdmi when it was connected thru the switch. I had to directly connect it up to the tv in order for the playstation to swith video output to the hdmi port. Once i knew the hdmi port was active I connected it again to the switch and nothing. I finally realized that for some reason only one port worked with the ps3.... Not sure why??? It was port 5 on the switch. NOt sure if you've tried them all. But that fixed my issues.

J
Mattsshack's Avatar Mattsshack 11:19 PM 12-01-2006
Legolad, please confirm if this helped you. I am looking at the same HDMI switch, but would like to know it works with the PS3 first...

Thx
quickfire's Avatar quickfire 07:28 AM 12-02-2006
UHHHHHHHH port 5 works for me as well...GO FIGURE!!!!!!
Mattsshack's Avatar Mattsshack 08:55 AM 12-02-2006
That is good to know. I was almost worried there I just ordered one of these 5x1... Thank you for the feedback
eatenbacktolife's Avatar eatenbacktolife 09:52 AM 12-02-2006
Legolad, I have the same setup as yours, only difference is I have a 30' hdmi cable running to my projector. I've had no luck in any ports. The monoprice switch was pretty useless for me, since only one out of four components ever worked through it for me.
EddieG's Avatar EddieG 02:09 PM 12-02-2006
Port #5 works for me too!
RickD_99's Avatar RickD_99 02:42 PM 12-02-2006
I just set up my Toshiba HD-A1 on port 1 and my PS3 on port 2 of the Monoprice 5x1 switch with no problems whatsoever. I have a 10 ft Monoprice 28AWG cable running from my Yamaha HTR5990 receiver to the HDMI in of the Monoprice, using the Monoprice port savers at both end of the connection. The HDMI cables from both the HD-A1 and PS3 to the Monoprice switch are inexpensive non-Monoprice cables.
Mattsshack's Avatar Mattsshack 05:09 PM 12-03-2006
Just thought I would pass this on...

I email Monoprice about this problem. This was the response. I am glad that port 5 works Thank you too everyone for their replies...

Quote:

It's been confirmed that port 5 of that particular switch works; we're in the process of finding a solution so that the 4 other ports function correctly as well.

Should you have any question, please feel free to email us.
Thank you for doing business with us.

Regards,

Solomon
Monoprice, Inc.

isamu's Avatar isamu 08:53 AM 12-10-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post

I just set up my Toshiba HD-A1 on port 1 and my PS3 on port 2 of the Monoprice 5x1 switch with no problems whatsoever. I have a 10 ft Monoprice 28AWG cable running from my Yamaha HTR5990 receiver to the HDMI in of the Monoprice, using the Monoprice port savers at both end of the connection. The HDMI cables from both the HD-A1 and PS3 to the Monoprice switch are inexpensive non-Monoprice cables.

Rick, I too have a Yamaha HTR5990 receiver, as well as a benQ 8720 720p projector. I *just* picked up a PS3 and an Oppo dvd player today, so I will need to take the HDMI "switching route" from now on.

I would like to know why you are using a Monoprice switcher for HDMI, when the HTR 5990 has HDMI ports and can switch devices as well? Is the picture quality from the Yamaha HTR5990 receiver to your projector via HDMI not that good? Is there any picture degradation?
Kid Red's Avatar Kid Red 09:11 AM 12-10-2006
I have the 5x1 and had no problems. However, it was either connected to port 4 or port 5 to my DVD player and I just swapped out for the PS3.

So port 5 only works for the PS3? Or port 5 only works on the switch? I just got a HD-DVD A2 and will be using port 1 or 2 or 3 and hope I don't run into any issues with the switch.
Chris Dotur's Avatar Chris Dotur 02:25 PM 12-11-2006
I've had problems with other HDMI switchers degrading the video signal of HDMI, even those with a "boost" function or adjustable HDMI power, such as Gefen. I currently use Parasound's Zhd 5x1 HDMI switcher, and it works great for all my components, including the PS3. It's the only HDMI switcher I've found that has been able to work for me.
maximum360's Avatar maximum360 03:53 PM 12-11-2006
Sadly enough I noticed a problem as well. The switcher only works with one of my ATI video cards. (It works with the X800 XL but doesn't work with my AIW 1900). It also doesn't play nice with Moto 3412.

I hope Monoprice can come up with a fix.
isamu's Avatar isamu 03:13 AM 12-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD_99 View Post

Rick, I too have a Yamaha HTR5990 receiver, as well as a benQ 8720 720p projector. I *just* picked up a PS3 and an Oppo dvd player today, so I will need to take the HDMI "switching route" from now on.

I would like to know why you are using a Monoprice switcher for HDMI, when the HTR 5990 has HDMI ports and can switch devices as well? Is the picture quality from the Yamaha HTR5990 receiver to your projector via HDMI not that good? Is there any picture degradation?
kaze0's Avatar kaze0 05:46 AM 12-12-2006
I have no problem wit h my 5x1 switch form monoprice. Try shorter cables temporarily?
bgarner's Avatar bgarner 07:07 AM 12-12-2006
I have the same Monoprice switch along with a Sanyo Z3 running with 45 feet cables from Monoprice switch and 6 foot cable from PS3 to Monoprice swith on input #4 and I have not experienced any problems. I am able to switch sources such as my HD-DVD or 8300HD box and never had a problem. The only thing I noticed is that I need my PS3 on before I switch to input 4, otherwise it won't switch to input 4. I just also switched to a Z5 last night as a quick test and everything worked fine.
UMD_Terp's Avatar UMD_Terp 08:43 AM 12-12-2006
I have a monoprice 5x1 switch as well... I currently only have a Pioneer 59avi DVD player on input 1 and plan on hooking up my PS3 to the thing tonight... all through 6 foot cables. I'll see if I run into any issues with it...
controller2k's Avatar controller2k 04:36 AM 12-13-2006
I have the Monoprice 5X1 switch hooked up to a Panny 900U projector. I am using a 25 foot DVI cable run (from RAM electronics.. their long-run model) with DVI-HDMI connectors on both sides. I have the PS3 in port 1, my Toshiba HD-A1 in port 2, and I have switched them into other ports without a problem.

Could it be your cable?
UMD_Terp's Avatar UMD_Terp 07:24 AM 12-13-2006
Well I tried my switcher with the PS3 last night, and all works without a hitch. I have the 59avi in port 1 and the PS3 in port 2 of the switcher and everything came up first time... Switching between the two is completely smooth and there are no issues. I have not tried the other ports, but at least 2 works for me. This is all using 6 foot cables... 2 are from monoprice and one is a ramelectronics cable.

I did notice that when I was using the ram electronics cable into the display, I had some issues with the DVD player handshaking. Only ports 4 and 5 worked then. I switched to using the monoprice cable into the display and everything works fine. The only difference in the cables is that the ram cable does not have a ferrite bead on the ends while the monoprice cables do. I am wondering if the switchers output is not properly terminated or properly routed as to minimize EMI.

In any case, the PS3 and 59avi are working happily now into the switch and out to the display.
RickD_99's Avatar RickD_99 04:21 PM 12-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

Unfortunate Update: I too started having trouble with my Monoprice 5x1 switcher and the PS3 (with the PS3 plugged into port 2) so I switched the PS3 to port 5 on the Monoprice and all has been well since then. I'm wondering if my upgrading of the PS3 to firmware 1.3 is the root cause of this as port 2 on the Monoprice seemed to be working fine with PS3 firmware version 1.1.

Isamu, the reason I am using the Monoprice to switch is that I have only 2 HDMI inputs on my Sony 60" SXRD XBR1 and one of those inputs is taken by my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box...the 8300HD won't properly handshake with either the Yamaha receiver nor the Monoprice switcher! Also I tested the PS3 with the Yamaha for HDMI switching and was also getting HDMI droputs similar to what I saw with port 2 on the Monoprice so I decided to attach my Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player along with my PS3 (at port 5 only) to the Monoprice and then output via HDMI to the HDMI input on the Yamaha receiver and use the Monoprice to switch between those 2 sources.

Complicated enough for you?
controller2k's Avatar controller2k 05:37 PM 12-13-2006
I should note that my Monoprice switch said it was version 2.1.

What version do you all have? There should be a round sticker on the box and I think on the underside of the unit.
vwbeetlvr's Avatar vwbeetlvr 05:44 PM 12-13-2006
my ps3 was hooked up coincidentally to port 5 since day 1 and never had a problem! I wonder if i switch ports will it still work
?
UMD_Terp's Avatar UMD_Terp 09:50 PM 12-13-2006
v2.1 on the switch... I am running 1.31 PS3 FW and port 2 is working fine for me...
Tripjammer's Avatar Tripjammer 10:03 AM 12-14-2006
I just got this monoprice switch in yesterday. I got all Monoprice cables with the ferite cores. I am going to hook it up tonight or this weekend.
zurgdawg's Avatar zurgdawg 10:04 AM 12-14-2006
I've got the same setup as you, no problems here!
bmerkel's Avatar bmerkel 12:40 AM 12-17-2006
I have a Monoprice 5x1 switch (v2.1) and a PS3 (1.31 fw) as well. I'm using Monoprice 6' cables between the switch and the inputs (DVD on 1, PS3 on 5) and a ~25' Monoprice cable to the TV (Sony Bravia LCD).

I can only get the PS3 to send a signal if I plug it in to port 5. Any other port, and I get a blank screen. There is *some* info being passed when the PS3 is hooked up to ports 1-4, however. The switch correctly identifies which port the PS3 is on (LED turns red), and the TV picks up the resolution correctly (720p 16:9 or 480p 4:3, depending on what I've got the PS3 set to output). There just isn't any picture being sent. I'm thinking this has something to do with the PS3 not liking/not handshaking properly through the switch (except on port 5). Everything works just peachy through port 5, of course.
csrx's Avatar csrx 12:39 PM 12-27-2006
Monoprice has acknowledged this is an issue. They say they are working on it. What happens when they resolve it? Will they replace the faulty ones or will you have to purchase a new one? Any of you ask them about this? Thanks.
maximum360's Avatar maximum360 01:20 PM 12-27-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrx View Post

Monoprice has acknowledged this is an issue. They say they are working on it. What happens when they resolve it? Will they replace the faulty ones or will you have to purchase a new one? Any of you ask them about this? Thanks.

These are questions we'd like answers to.
playitloud's Avatar playitloud 01:42 AM 12-31-2006
port 5 nor any other port working for me...after i ran the upgrades on the ps3
mikethewxguy's Avatar mikethewxguy 08:36 PM 01-01-2007
I'm having crazy dropouts (even on port 5) between my PS3 and my Panny AX100U Projector. Monoprice 5X1 (Rev 2.1) Switch

When directly connected to the PJ - the PS3 runs flawless.

Any upgates from Monoprice?
1 2 3

Up
View Full Version