Forum Jump:
1Likes
post #1 of 43 Old 12-25-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My PS3 just died. I picked up a new one and I am trying to install the old hard drive in the new PS3 and it is giving me an error saying the system software is not correct and to reinstall it.

I was not able to do an official backup of the hard drive. I need to get this old workinghard drive with all my data to work in my new ps3 so that I can back it up properly and restore i to the proper hard drive.

Anyone know how to do this?

| PS4 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | 2 X HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P | Sony XBR75X940D | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 12-25-2008, 06:03 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It won't work; when you move the hard drive to a different PS3 it makes you reformat it.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #3 of 43 Old 12-25-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

nice... so not only are most launch 60gbs experiencing this Yellow light of death but I can't get at my data even though the hard drive is fine. I am very disappointed in sony right now.

| PS4 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | 2 X HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P | Sony XBR75X940D | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |

post #4 of 43 Old 12-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

nice... so not only are most launch 60gbs experiencing this Yellow light of death but I can't get at my data even though the hard drive is fine. I am very disappointed in sony right now.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but where are you getting this claim about the launch 60gb? Looks like I'll be backing up my game save data just in case.
post #5 of 43 Old 12-25-2008, 07:22 PM

You should always back up your data, anyway. And that goes beyond gaming consoles

post #6 of 43 Old 12-25-2008, 09:14 PM

Liked: 11
Ouch, yeah - with all the problems with the MS: PR data corruption error and the inability to back up your data without a full HDD backup, I've become a very active advocate of backing up the HDD. But since you are stuck in a predicament that doesn't have a good solution, do you think Sony can help you out. I think you are screwed no matter what you do since you can't get a backup now as the PS3 is dead and if you try to put the HDD in the new PS3 it will request that you reformat it. I would say you have to call Sony and hope they can find a way to do it for you.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #7 of 43 Old 12-25-2008, 09:20 PM

I also back up my saves, but I'm always that way. I hope to upgrade my hard drive after the new year. The only thing in my way is that I can't re-download or back up my PS Video Store content. I have four movie downloads and about 6 TV ep downloads I don't know what to do with.

If you send it to Sony they might be able to save your "save" files. I'd at least call and ask.

I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #8 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 07:10 AM

I wonder if this would work:

Get a harddrive case, and put the old drive in that (essentailly creating an external HD). The hook that up to the new ps3 via usb. Then copy over the files you need. I'm just not sure if gamesaves and such are tied to the physical ps3, or to your account.
post #9 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 AM

Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Noah_ View Post

Sorry to hear about your situation, but where are you getting this claim about the launch 60gb? Looks like I'll be backing up my game save data just in case.

Out of thin air. Refer to this thread:

/avs-vb/showt...1099760&page=2

unfortunately for him, he was one of the unlucky ones.
post #10 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 08:37 AM

I had my drive fail this past week. It also happened to a couple of my psn friends as well. One of them had the WaW issue, but the two of us that had the BR drives stop reading discs were playing R2. At least mine can still play psn games. The 3% figure could be true, but I don't know nearly 100 psn people anymore yet I do know of 12 people that have had issues. I didn't realize how many of my psn friends have had issues until I made my PSN comment "PS3 no read discs". After that people msg'd me their own stories. It was pretty suprising. It was even more suprising that half of them had it happen in the past month.

I'm not jaded and understand electronics have issues, but I hope this article doesn't come back to bite Sony in their ***.

Edit:
Also, the three of us that had our PS3's die this past week were launch 60gb's(A01).
post #11 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 11:20 AM

anyone have any info on how to back up your info on your PS3 HD?

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><span>huh?</span></div></div>
post #12 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I called Sony. They were worthless. I was polite as possible. At first the MANAGER told me that I could have my specific PS3 Fixed and the hard drive not formatted. Then he came back and sorry all we can offer is a refurbished exchange and the return of your stuck disk.

I am very ticked off at Sony. There is a thread on the official ps forums with hundreds of people complaining about there 60 gb launch consoles having the exact issue.

I can't figure out any way to save my data. It looks like I am being forced to send the console to a 3rd party service company like videogame911.com or rapidrepair.com. I am VERY nervous about this. Anyone had a good experience with any place like that?

It is absolutely ridiculous that Sony is putting me in this position.

EDIT: Mine is an A01 60GB launch console too.

| PS4 - headshotwi |
post #13 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Well, to be fair to Sony, they couldn't make it any easier to back up your data. Heck, they put a tool right on the XMB to do so!

So don't be angry that you are stuck without your data. You can be mad as Sony if you think your cosole is sub-par, but being without a back-up is no one's fault but your own.

*rushes home to back up PS3 hard drive, which hasn't been done in over a month*
post #14 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admo1972 View Post

Well, to be fair to Sony, they couldn't make it any easier to back up your data. Heck, they put a tool right on the XMB to do so!

So don't be angry that you are stuck without your data. You can be mad as Sony if you think your cosole is sub-par, but being without a back-up is no one's fault but your own.

*rushes home to back up PS3 hard drive, which hasn't been done in over a month*

Exactly mine has not been backed up in awhile.

I still think it is just plain wrong to force customers to loose their data like this and not be able to get data off a drive if they can't power up the console.

I also can't get out a rented video game which I am now going to have to pay a ton of late fees on.

| PS4 - headshotwi |
post #15 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Its a Sata notebook drive... would it be possible to plug it in a PC and back it up that way?
post #16 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Like I said, you could buy an enclosure and put the old drive in that, but I don't think there is any way to get those game saves onto the new ps3. Aren't game saves encrypted such that they only work on the very console that created it?

So I think that you would be able to get videos, music, pics, and other files transfered to the new ps3 by hooking up the old drive as an external disk, but I don't think the game saves will work.
post #17 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

It's not Sony's fault that you did not do a backup. Hardware can, and will, fail and it is YOUR responsibility to make sure your data is backed up. Sony gives you a very EASY & STRAIGHT FORWARD method to back everything up so....now you know.
post #18 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Like I said, you could buy an enclosure and put the old drive in that, but I don't think there is any way to get those game saves onto the new ps3. Aren't game saves encrypted such that they only work on the very console that created it?

So I think that you would be able to get videos, music, pics, and other files transfered to the new ps3 by hooking up the old drive as an external disk, but I don't think the game saves will work.

No. Just no. The file system of the INTERNAL drive is NOT one that a PC/MAC can read so putting it in an enclosure is NOT going to help one bit.

I think I am going to go make myself a new backup now...
post #19 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

No. Just no. The file system of the INTERNAL drive is NOT one that a PC/MAC can read so putting it in an enclosure is NOT going to help one bit.

I think I am going to go make myself a new backup now...

Yeah, but I am not talking about hooking it to a mac or pc. I am talking about putting it in an enclosure, and hooking it up to the new ps3 via usb.
post #20 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

It's not Sony's fault that you did not do a backup. Hardware can, and will, fail and it is YOUR responsibility to make sure your data is backed up. Sony gives you a very EASY & STRAIGHT FORWARD method to back everything up so....now you know.

Wow, putting the fault on the victim now huh. Backing up data is common for computers, but for video game systems, not so much. Most people don't even have the right hardware for backing up data. It took me a long time to figure out how to format my external harddrive from NTSF to FAT32. Not everyone is computer savvy so I don't think its fair to blame people for losing their data for not backing up.
post #21 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn View Post

Most people don't even have the right hardware for backing up data. It took me a long time to figure out how to format my external harddrive from NTSF to FAT32.

Actually, they do. You can easily back it up the important stuff like game saves on a thumb drive or an iPod. I keep my backup on my ipod

As for figuring out how to format a drive, google.com will tell you how in about 0.18 seconds and in many cases it is as simple as right-clicking the drive and choosing "Format." That's like saying it's not the user's fault they don't know how to copy and paste. You're changing the wording around; it is Sony's fault that the system broke, but the fact remains it is not their fault if you don't use tools they provide to do a recommended task. "Most people are ignorant" isn't a valid excuse. Back up your data if you don't want to risk losing it, simple as that.

post #22 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but I am not talking about hooking it to a mac or pc. I am talking about putting it in an enclosure, and hooking it up to the new ps3 via usb.

The PS3 will ONLY read FAT32 from an external device via USB.
post #23 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez View Post

Actually, they do. You can easily back it up the important stuff like game saves on a thumb drive or an iPod. I keep my backup on my ipod

As for figuring out how to format a drive, google.com will tell you how in about 0.18 seconds and in many cases it is as simple as right-clicking the drive and choosing "Format." That's like saying it's not the user's fault they don't know how to copy and paste. You're changing the wording around; it is Sony's fault that the system broke, but the fact remains it is not their fault if you don't use tools they provide to do a recommended task. "Most people are ignorant" isn't a valid excuse. Back up your data if you don't want to risk losing it, simple as that.

Agree, and will also add the ps3 is a computer. I back up my system at least once a month and game saves more often (to an sd card...have a launch 60 gig system that has the card readers built into them).
post #24 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Wow, putting the fault on the victim now huh. Backing up data is common for computers, but for video game systems, not so much. Most people don't even have the right hardware for backing up data. It took me a long time to figure out how to format my external harddrive from NTSF to FAT32. Not everyone is computer savvy so I don't think its fair to blame people for losing their data for not backing up.

But it is the fault of the "victim". That's part of the price you pay of making technology a commodity. Everyone thinks they should have access to this technology, not just the "computer savvy", but they dont want to learn the intricacies of having this sort of equipment. Sony knew this and had the foresight to put a very easy, very accessible, user friendly interface to a backup system right in front of the users eyes. Hell, if the end user would READ the instruction manual it actually details this very procedure which requires all of 2-3 presses of the X button.
post #25 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 02:06 PM

Liked: 833
Quote:

Wow, putting the fault on the victim now huh. Backing up data is common for computers, but for video game systems, anything with a harddrive

FTFY!

For future note: anything with a harddrive, can have a hard drive fail.

Back, Back, Back it up, unless you want to be caught with your pants down again. Oh, and all hard drives fail eventually. ALL OF THEM. it's the side effect of being a mechanical device.

Quote:

Not everyone is computer savvy so I don't think its fair to blame people for losing their data for not backing up.

Then is equally unfair to blame Sony. If you bothered to RTFM, it tells you you should periodically backup data and exactly how to do it and your options for doing so. You want them to give you a hand job too?...

Quote:

Aren't game saves encrypted such that they only work on the very console that created it?

Some are, some are not.

Good places to get saved game data that you might have lost, or just want:

http://gamefaqs.com/
http://ps3gamesaves.net/forum/
post #26 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I agree that backing up is an important practice, HOWEVER, ps3 developers should give the user more options for backing up your data as it is practical for that user. For example, not everybody has an 80+ GB usb hdd waiting to be used, if you want to back up your 80 GB ps3. It is far more likely/plausible that they have a 2/4/8 GB usb thumb drive, however. Naturally, you cannot backup "everything" in that scenario, but the more important detail is to be able to easily back-up specific things you want that will fit that kind of space.

That's where the ps3 dev's seem to have missed a vital feature. I imagine for each media sub-menu in the XMB (pictures, music, video, gamesaves), there should be a backup selection in the list (backup pictures, backup music, backup video, or alternatively, copy all pictures, copy all music, copy all gamesaves). Currently, you can "copy" your media, but only on a one-by-one item manner (which is ridiculously inadequate, if you just want to back up all of your pictures in one big lump, for example). If they can make this functionality, it would be a WHOLE lot more feasible for users to actively keep their media/gamesaves backed up, imo.

ARE YOU LISTENING, PS3 DEVS?
AaronMK likes this.

Margot Robbie is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
post #27 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

That's where the ps3 dev's seem to have missed a vital feature. I imagine for each media sub-menu in the XMB (pictures, music, video, gamesaves), there should be a backup selection in the list (backup pictures, backup music, backup video, or alternatively, copy all pictures, copy all music, copy all gamesaves). Currently, you can "copy" your media, but only on a one-by-one item manner (which is ridiculously inadequate, if you just want to back up all of your pictures in one big lump, for example). If they can make this functionality, it would be a WHOLE lot more feasible for users to actively keep their media/gamesaves backed up, imo.

ARE YOU LISTENING, PS3 DEVS?

You're right that it should be easier, but there is a Copy Multiple option. You can choose that and select all your Photo folders, or all your Artists. Not as quick as a one-click backup for each type of media, but it is there. You don't have to copy stuff one-by-one.

post #28 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Well, the point I'm trying to make is that the PS3 is a gaming system. Backing up data was never really a concern with my PSX, PS2, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, etc. It just sucks that Sony made all these restriction with swapping harddrives in differeint PS3s.
post #29 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Well, the point I'm trying to make is that the PS3 is a gaming system. Backing up data was never really a concern with my PSX, PS2, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, etc.

It should be with the 360...

post #30 of 43 Old 12-26-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:

this might work so go ahead and try it. you might br able to retore the entire drive or copy game saves to the ps3

-------------------------
psn: acelightning15
just call me ace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page