• 1 Post By DamageMcRamage
post #1 of 10 Old 12-14-2017, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 11828
Forza Motorsport 7 on Xbox One X Review

Forza has served as a tech demo for Microsoft in the decade-plus it's been around. Forza Motorsport 7 ups the graphics ante, but is the audio up to snuff? Click here to read more - Review: Forza Motorsport 7 on Xbox One X
DaverJ and Aetherhole like this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at online-shashki Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Mark, have you played a standard version of this game, for instance seen it on a XBOX One S? I'm curious if there are any real noticeable differences or if these enhanced games are basically the lowest common denominator for the lesser systems?

I like Ice Cream!
post #3 of 10 Old 12-14-2017, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
Mark, have you played a standard version of this game, for instance seen it on a XBOX One S? I'm curious if there are any real noticeable differences or if these enhanced games are basically the lowest common denominator for the lesser systems?
No, I have not. The Xbox One X is actually my first Xbox, ever. Prior to this (and still, actually) I game(d) on PC and PS4 Pro.
DamageMcRamage likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-15-2017, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post
I actually played it for a few weeks on the One S before the One X came out. So I can tell you, yes there is a difference. I was thinking I wouldn't notice a difference at all, but I immediately noticed the 4K textures that really brought everything to life.

I use the cockpit camera, so the texturing on the interior materials, and driver's gloves popped out. It's hard to explain and you definitely can't tell with videos online due to compression, but the entire game looked and felt more real.

I expected to not notice anything, but I was pleasantly surprised that it looked noticeably better.

- LG OLED 65" C7 and Samsung 65" JS9500 FALD LED-Marantz AV7702mkii -Marantz MM8077 (7 Channel Power Amp) -Marantz MM7055 (5 channel Power Amp)
- 2 Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 - 1 Pioneer Elite SP-EC73 - 4 Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR - 1 SVS PB2000
post #5 of 10 Old 12-15-2017, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the review, I'm glad that console users can finally get in on some native 4k gaming. Hopefully in the future, more PC games will support HDR. Some do, but not all.

My big issue with this review is the statement that the Q9F has 100% color volume coverage. That is false. This review almost reads like an advertisement with that in it. We read these reviews for the thing you're reviewing, not so you can (incorrectly) brag about your TV. Yes, the color volume is good, but it's not worth exaggerating about.

https://rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...comparison_778
imagic likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-15-2017, 06:01 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 302
I've been saying this for years. Forza has better sound than GT series, but the lack of subwoofer use just irritates me. Have you ever heard the rumble of a high horsepower V8 or V12? I want to feel it like in real life. The subs are hardly used.
imagic, -Kaelis- and D1zzl3 like this.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-15-2017, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Wide color gamut....

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbert2000 View Post
Thanks for the review, I'm glad that console users can finally get in on some native 4k gaming. Hopefully in the future, more PC games will support HDR. Some do, but not all.

My big issue with this review is the statement that the Q9F has 100% color volume coverage. That is false. This review almost reads like an advertisement with that in it. We read these reviews for the thing you're reviewing, not so you can (incorrectly) brag about your TV. Yes, the color volume is good, but it's not worth exaggerating about.

https://rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...comparison_778
Some people are more sensitive to marketing speak than others. I did not see any issue with including that wording, or how it explicitly distracts from the review. Especially with that DCI/P3 gamut reading from rtings.com being so awfully close to 100%. But, I appreciate the feedback and I edited the piece to say "wide color gamut" instead.

As rtings.com notes in the link you provide, "Excellent wide color gamut, wider than its competitors, the Sony Z9D, A1E and LG C7. The deep green performance is especially notable, which is something most TVs struggle with. The accuracy of the colors is excellent too, so colors in HDR content should be well represented." - rtings.com

In other words, the Q9F is a great TV for evaluating the wide color gamut of HDR games.

You have highlighted the importance of noting that Samsung has provided the QLED TVs for these game reviews, so I have updated the post to indicate that. I am not "bragging" about "my" TV because it is not my TV.

Also, that's not going to be the only rig used for game reviews. But, it just so happens that Xbox and Samsung ARE co-promoting the Xbox One X and QLED TVs. For game reviews, the Xbox One X is going to be at the forefront for a little while, since it's the newest platform.

But long-term, the reviews will be a mix of platforms and displays. I've got a PS4 Pro, a PC with a GTX1080, and this sweet TV that just arrived (65" LG G7 OLED, provided by LG)...

I've also got a Sony X930E here, in the wings waiting its turn. You guessed it, that one was provided by Sony.

Sure, I don't have a Vizio P Series on hand, but that's because I suggested to Vizio that it send that model to Scott Wilkinson to review (Vizio did exactly that). It's because I have no more room for TVs in my home at the moment.

And that's not even getting into the projectors. For instance, what it's like gaming on Sony's VPL-VW885ES in 60p HDR. I have the PS4 Pro hooked up to that right now.
-Kaelis- likes this.

Last edited by imagic; 12-16-2017 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Because I'm OCD, I make lots of small edits after the fact... and I mean lots!
post #8 of 10 Old 12-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
No, I have not. The Xbox One X is actually my first Xbox, ever. Prior to this (and still, actually) I game(d) on PC and PS4 Pro.
Well, it was worth it to ask. You get all the cool toys to try out.
imagic likes this.

I like Ice Cream!
post #9 of 10 Old 12-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC84 View Post
I actually played it for a few weeks on the One S before the One X came out. So I can tell you, yes there is a difference. I was thinking I wouldn't notice a difference at all, but I immediately noticed the 4K textures that really brought everything to life.

I use the cockpit camera, so the texturing on the interior materials, and driver's gloves popped out. It's hard to explain and you definitely can't tell with videos online due to compression, but the entire game looked and felt more real.

I expected to not notice anything, but I was pleasantly surprised that it looked noticeably better.
This is reassuring since in the coming months a One X will likely be on the purchase list.
imagic likes this.

I like Ice Cream!
post #10 of 10 Old 12-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC84 View Post

Agreed, in terms of graphics, especially sunset maps and rain, it is noticeably different on the X. The jump from standard Xbox on this game to X isn't as big as some other games (gears of war 4 seems like a completely different game on the X). I would say there is no improvement in sound from standard to X and I agree with Mark that the sound in the game really lacks depth. There are sound issues on the X that didn't exist on standard Xbox One. The volume changes and few other sound glitches are in the enhanced version only.

Follow JSoltys Photography on Instagram and Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
forza motorsport 7 , Gaming , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page