Forum Jump:
Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've tried to watch Netflix on my Xbox but at some point I will always get logged out of Xbox Live and have to sign back in again, this only happens when using Netflix. No speed problems and I watch Netflix on two other devices at home. Is this a router problem or setting ? Its a Linksys, can remember the model name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 912
It might be the router. Try connecting to the 360 directly from the modem and see if that solves the problem. Do that first or double check if you have the latest firmware update. If the modem straight to the 360 works without issue then we know it is an issue with your router. You should be able to google search settings for your model and the 360. There is alot of information out there that deals with these issues. Good Luck.

The 5.0 is here
Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Haven't had a chance to connect directly to the modem (xbox is in the family room, router in the basement). Anyhow been doing some reading and it seems the WRT54G is infamous for xbox live issues so I maybe SOL. I tried a static IP and enabling DMZ on it but couldn't get the xbox to connect with a static IP. Dynamic IP with DMZ enabled also failed. Saw a suggestion for port forwarding but don't know how to configure, there is a box called Application and it won't take enough characters to type in an IP address and xobox360 or xbox live didn't work either. So next its either voodoo chanting or a new router!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 425
I think the issue is with Netflix app. I encounter this as well from time to time. Please note that Netflix continues to stream video w/o problem so I don't think it has anything to do with network connection or router. It is pretty clear to me that the Netflix app is pretty flaky that sometimes when I launch it, it will prompt me to download again to use the one already downloaded. Sometimes it just go right to play video.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Foxbat, I've just about given up for the night. According to the xbox360 site, only 2 older firmwares for the wrt54g are supported for xbox live. Unfortunatley linsksys doesn't seem to provide old firmware on its site. Annoying this because I really wanted to watch Netflix, I loose connection every time I watch something.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Liked: 11
It did the same thing to me today but I have a verizon fios router bridged into a WRT54GL router. It is flashed with Tomato firmware and have used it a couple times prior to today with no disconnection. Today was the first time it disconnected. I have used this same router with XBL using verizon DSL for about 2 years and never changed the firmware version. It has to be the netflix app.

Xbox GT: Codester
Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

That sucks, I need to get on and play something on Xbox live to figure out if thats the problem (I suspect it is as I keep getting signed out). Would love to hear from someone who can watch Netflix on Xbox without dropouts and what kind of router they use.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
On your Xbox 360, try going to the system settings and, in the Network section, test your connection. If it tests as "restricted," go into your router's configuration menu and set triggers (both TCP & UDP) for ports 3074 and 88. (You may also need to Port Forward those ports for your Xbox's IP address.) Then, on the Xbox 360, test your network connection again to see if it tests out OK. (It will complete the test without any follow-up comment.)
Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm currently using an Verizon supplied Actiontec wired/wireless modem, wired to my xbox. It was working great and then I went in to a menu and messed it up. If I remember correctly I went back and did the set up again, it now works again. Everytime I turn the xbox on I do have to sign into live.

Netflix via xbox is pretty cool. I have 30+ shows and movies in que. Porky's just became available.

I love this HD stuff!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

On your Xbox 360, try going to the system settings and, in the Network section, test your connection. If it tests as "restricted," go into your router's configuration menu and set triggers (both TCP & UDP) for ports 3074 and 88. (You may also need to Port Forward those ports for your Xbox's IP address.) Then, on the Xbox 360, test your network connection again to see if it tests out OK. (It will complete the test without any follow-up comment.)

Yep, I've tried testing the connection, it completes without an comment. For good measure I've tried port forwarding, tricky thought because I haven't been able to set the xbox up with its own IP address.

I'm afraid I've given up on this now, many thanks for all the suggestions and congrats to those who can watch a move without being signed out. I'm not an avid gamer, the Xbox is just something I turn to occasionally and I've found all the advanced XBox options are a pain in the ass to get working. I'll probably buy another $99 Roku box to sit beside the Xbox.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm using a D-Link WBR-1310. Works great and is wireless as well. I use it with the xbox on a WIRED connection, however. Was $35 at Lowe's.

Shahram

Are you capable of independent thought, or do you need the government and mass media to do that for you?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Shahraminator
Old 05-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydman View Post

Yep, I've tried testing the connection, it completes without an comment. For good measure I've tried port forwarding, tricky thought because I haven't been able to set the xbox up with its own IP address.

I'm afraid I've given up on this now, many thanks for all the suggestions and congrats to those who can watch a move without being signed out. I'm not an avid gamer, the Xbox is just something I turn to occasionally and I've found all the advanced XBox options are a pain in the ass to get working. I'll probably buy another $99 Roku box to sit beside the Xbox.

Here are some step by step instructions on port forwarding for your router (with pictures):

http://portforward.com/english/route...x_Live_360.htm

If your router is different (there are variations on your router, pick the correct one from the list at portforward.com & then select the link from the list that leads to Xbox 360 Live forwarding.

When you set a static IP on your PC, the IP you set on the 360 has to have the last digits be different (any number will do).
Like your IP is 192.111.222.100, then your 360 IP needs to be 192.111.222.150.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Do you get dropped even if the 360 is the only thing watching Netflix? Or are you trying to watch on two Netflix devices at once?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:24 AM

I would imagine that this is a flow control and/or throughput saturation issue. If the link starts getting overwhelmed, decisions have to be made at the router as to what should be sent and what should be dumped or delayed. With two different types of data (the video data, and the Xbox Live "keep alive" data), it's also possible that "QoS" (quality of service) rules demand real-time service for the video at the expense of the Xbox Live data messages. This then results in disconnection after some time.

So, I guess I'm saying... See if you have any flow control options or QoS options on the router that you can fiddle with.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:22 PM

bump!

i know this is an old thread,
but i too have these problems with xbl disconnects. i am running a wrt54g flashed with ddwrt. i have multipul 360s so i have to use uPnP on the router so they can both be open NAT. i dont have much experience with QoS, are there any solutions to this issue?
Old 07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cturnbull802 View Post

bump!

i know this is an old thread,
but i too have these problems with xbl disconnects. i am running a wrt54g flashed with ddwrt. i have multipul 360s so i have to use uPnP on the router so they can both be open NAT. i dont have much experience with QoS, are there any solutions to this issue?

I have never had any disconnects with the wrt54g router running ddwrt. Not running with QoS, not on DMZ. Zero problems for years. I am not running a wired network throughout the house (360 included).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement