Forum Jump:
post #1 of 11 Old 04-29-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
Nox
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was pretty excited to find a used copy of BG: DA2 for the Xbox. It's a pretty rare game as I came to find out. Years ago, I loved the first, BG: DA, on my PS2.

Playing it on the 360, all was well until there are 4 or more creatures with arrows shooting. The gameplay slows down to a crawl. There's no loss of FPS, just super slow motion until a few creatures are killed. It's barely playable. What a let-down.

I thought it was the game itself, but then I pulled out my old Xbox, dusted it off, and tried it... the game works flawlessly. It turns out the 360 software emulation is to blame.

Nuts, I really like the way it looked using HDMI at 720p and I prefer using the 360 controller. I guess the ol' Xbox is going to have it's last hurrah.

-David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-29-2008, 06:27 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post

I was pretty excited to find a used copy of BG: DA2 for the Xbox. It's a pretty rare game as I came to find out. Years ago, I loved the first, BG: DA, on my PS2.

Playing it on the 360, all was well until there are 4 or more creatures with arrows shooting. The gameplay slows down to a crawl. There's no loss of FPS, just super slow motion until a few creatures are killed. It's barely playable. What a let-down.

I thought it was the game itself, but then I pulled out my old Xbox, dusted it off, and tried it... the game works flawlessly. It turns out the 360 software emulation is to blame.

Nuts, I really like the way it looked using HDMI at 720p and I prefer using the 360 controller. I guess the ol' Xbox is going to have it's last hurrah.

Did you check for any new updates to the game via live? I have had 2 updates since it was released. The frist one had a lot of slow downs. After the second one it slowed down only a handful of times throughout the entire game. Very playable, so much so I finished it twice on the 360.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does it have co op. The pc game had lan, but I never played it with anyone. It could be a blast. I did play a ps2 one with someone. Fun times.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Did you check for any new updates to the game via live? I have had 2 updates since it was released. The frist one had a lot of slow downs. After the second one it slowed down only a handful of times throughout the entire game. Very playable, so much so I finished it twice on the 360.

When I first put the game in it updated. If there were two updates, I must have gotten the latest which, I assume, includes anything previous.

It's too bad there's no way of transfering saved games from one system to the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper View Post

Does it have co op. The pc game had lan, but I never played it with anyone. It could be a blast. I did play a ps2 one with someone. Fun times.

Yes, there's two player co-op using one Xbox. There's no system link or online play.

-David
post #5 of 11 Old 04-30-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper View Post

Co-op in both Baldur gate games is incredible. Both people on the same screen. No split screen or anything. Excellent times.

post #6 of 11 Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nobody played Dungeons and Dragons Heroes but that game was soooo much better than baldurs gate and it supported 4 players. Baldurs gate 2 only 2 players. A great party game
post #7 of 11 Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Nox

I played through Dungeons and Dragons Heroes. It was pretty good. I was fresh off the PS2 version of Baldur's Gate 1 at the time and looking for more of the same gameplay.

By the way, I just noticed that Baldur's Gate 1 is now backwards compatible with the 360. It must have just come up within the past week because it wasn't there when I was searching for my copy of BG: DA2 a couple weeks ago. Dungeons and Dragons Heroes is now also on the list too.

-David
post #8 of 11 Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Baldurs Gate 1 came out on the last update about 3 months ago or so. Bought it and it was really choppy. Does anyone know if they fixed this problem?

Come join our adult gaming community at syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #9 of 11 Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 View Post

Baldurs Gate 1 came out on the last update about 3 months ago or so. Bought it and it was really choppy. Does anyone know if they fixed this problem?

The choppy is drastically reduced once you get out of the cellar with the rats. I get only one slow down per area, and have done an entire dungeoun with no slow down. The cellar with the rats though, is a nightmare, after that it gets better.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

Nobody played Dungeons and Dragons Heroes but that game was soooo much better than baldurs gate and it supported 4 players. Baldurs gate 2 only 2 players. A great party game

I played Heroes. Probably a couple dozen times, beginning to end. I still preferred Baldur's Gate. The items in Heroes was so bland. I can't count how many freeze potions I picked up. There was nothing to look forward to in regards to loot.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I like Baldur's Gate 2 the best out of all of the Diablo clones. Great character selection and a really good item creation system. D&D Heroes was also fun, but I thought the characters were a little bland. Bard's Tale was a VERY funny game which was also fun to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page