Forum Jump:
Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi,

Just bought a new Sat box. Unfortunately, only with HDMI output. TV is only component/RGB input.
To get around the problem I purchased a HDFURY. At first the image appeared to be fine. However, there does appear to be white crush taking place. Also, as the TV bypasses the colour processing circuits, I have no way of reducing the colour saturation.
Should I go for a HDMI to Component converter? As the image quality from devices connected to the TV this way are way better...Or is the colour accuracy via the RGB route more accurate?
I intend to do some measurements to see how accurate he colour is. Maybe the TV is incorrectly loading the RGB inputs? May need a few 75ohm resistors?

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 353
What is the input connector for RGB? A DVI connector or 3 BNC connectors labeled red, green, and blue?

Does the TV accept digital RGB or analog RGB only?

If the TV accepts only analog RGB or component, you may as well use an AVR that will convert HDMI to component and use the component connections. Not all AVRs will convert in that ("backwards") direction so choose carefully.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

The input connector is five BNC analogue R,G,B,HD and VD. I've seen a few hdmi to component converters.

I'm hoping it is the converter, as tonight i connected the old sat box (Fortec passion+) via the converter and appeared to be fine. The program material not having muchh peak white in it.

The new sat box is a Humax HDR. So not sure if the hdmi output could be excessive? although would doubt this if in the digital domain?

Thanks for the response

Old 01-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 353
If the TV REQUIRES the HD & VD sync signals you'll need a fairly full-featured signal format converter. There's no reason the new box's HDMI output couldn't be converted. HDMI is digital with standard voltage levels for 1s and 0s, there's really nothing tricky about it. If the TV will operate in "sync on green" mode, you don't need HD or VD, then your options for RGB output from a converter are simpler. HDMI can carry RGB and some boxes can be set to output RGB. If you have that capability you'd still need a converter to change from digital RGB from the box to analog RGB for the display.

Of course there's always the possibility that now is the time to consider a new display with "modern" inputs and put the money you may have to spend on a new format converter towards the new display.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There are several versions of the HD Fury, I'm not intimately familiar with them, so I would probably research this more at Curt Palme's site, there's a lot of info on them there.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What TV do you have?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

sony plasma ke32-ts2e

The HD fury is connected to the RGB inputs. When measuring with the colorimeter, I see gamma at 2.8 above 70ire and 2.1 below 40ire. Colour performance shows Luma red +14% and Blue +30%

Normally, with the source connected directly to the display's component inputs I get a nice ruler flat gamma of 2.35 (my personal preferred gamma) and the Luma values when Red is set at 0% Blue is -5%.

So the converter isn't that great, or the RGB isn't the best method to go about this.

I have e-mailed HDFury and they are helping me on this matter. Will update when I get more news
Sponsored Links
Advertisement