• 1 Post By rptvtomi52
  • 2 Post By Alan P
Old 02-11-2015, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Car subs and amps in your home!

In my opinion.... car audio equipment is much cheaper and way more abundant than home powered subwoofers. I had a 12 volt car battery and an 8 amp battery charger plugged in the wall outlet in my bedroom...and with that I had numerous sub/ amp configurations..at one point I even had a pioneer car CD player with remote that I fit into the wall that's was hooked up to my home reciever. If you don't want all the fuss with the charger and battery...you can always get a 12volt power supply for a lil bit more money. I've never had or heard a home powerd sub that even came close to the monsterous bass that came from my car subs in my room. I had one 15in cerwin vega IT in a small sealed box hooked up to a memphis amp only putting out 200 watts. This sub was LOUD. Clean, tight, projecting bass that didn't muffle or distort as it got louder. Back to my main point...car audio in the home is the way to go for a lot of sound and way more options...for a way cheaper price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 12:06 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 5304 Post(s)
Liked: 4072
Quote:
I've never had or heard a home powerd sub that even came close to the monsterous bass that came from my car subs in my room.
Care to list some of the home powerd subs that you have experience with?
SandstormGT and oneeyeblind like this.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:59 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 416
It doesn't really matter if they sound better or not. Nobody is going to want a carpeted covered sub box in the Home Theater room or family room. Im 100% sure the WAF is going to be ZERO on that one. lol
oneeyeblind likes this.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by rptvtomi52 View Post
I had one 15in cerwin vega IT in a small sealed box hooked up to a memphis amp only putting out 200 watts. This sub was LOUD. Clean, tight, projecting bass that didn't muffle or distort as it got louder. Back to my main point...car audio in the home is the way to go for a lot of sound and way more options...for a way cheaper price.

pffft...that aint nuthin...wait'll you hear a submersive in yer prius
oneeyeblind likes this.

at the zenith of his nadir...
Old 02-11-2015, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Actually my 15 was in a nice small box that I painted black. Looked pretty good tucked away in the corner of my room. And no I'm sorry I don't have specific models of home subs that I've heard....I just know that my setup has always sounded better than anyone else's house I've been to that had a home theater setup. I just use this stuff cuz I don't have the money to spend on hi end home equipment.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Using car audio subwoofers is very common!

However, using them in little sealed boxes will not work when outside of a car. You can model what they do in WinISD and go from there. My automotive 12" home theater sub is used in a 3.5 cubic foot enclosure with an 18" passive radiator tuned to 21Hz.

I don't recommend using car amps, PA amplifiers provide much better power, safety and all required parametric EQ, delay, crossover and filtering controls. The iNuke 3000 DSP punches over 600 watts each channel with two channels into 4 ohms. $279 and go. If you want "auto turn on" you can buy various 100 to 500 watt plate amps for $75 to $300 or so.

It sounds easy on the surface but gets crazy quickly. I built two dual 15" push pull slot loaded subwoofers in my garage, they are automotive 15" subs with the 8.5 cubic foot boxes tuned to 28Hz. The 175 pound monsters are not pretty, they are great for a man cave garage--but my wife refuses to let those things in the house.

Automotive subs are great for home theater--there are forty MTX 15" subwoofers in the most powerful subwoofer ever built. The Matterhorn tapped horn by Danley Sound Labs will damage your building...but such is the fun of a horn loaded subwoofer the size of a shipping container.

My advice is learn the WinISD program and build your own. In time you'll gain the skills for decent woodworking as you have to start somewhere.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Actually my 15 was in a nice small box that I painted black. Looked pretty good tucked away in the corner of my room. And no I'm sorry I don't have specific models of home subs that I've heard....I just know that my setup has always sounded better than anyone else's house I've been to that had a home theater setup. I just use this stuff cuz I don't have the money to spend on hi end home equipment.
But you are not comparing apples to apples. Room size makes a huge difference in sub output. If you compare to your subs in your bedroom then compare to a Home Theater that is probably twice as big if not more, so its not a fair comparison. And home theaters systems can be a cheap $48 system up to over $100k.

Here is a good example of some Home subs.
And those are weaklings compared to this sub. http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator/
Two of those Captivators in your bedroom and you will probably have no glass window left, cracked Sheetrock, and have your ears bleeding. lol

As far as the drivers them self, some works as both. And some car drivers can be very $$$. Like the jackhammer. http://onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...TS9922-22.aspx

Old 02-11-2015, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Very true...room size does effect how the sub will perform....my setup was in a smaller bedroom so it was loud for the room...and I'm not saying that a 3000 dollar home setup won't sound badass...I'm just saying that my concept is far cheaper....of course there are systems that will shake walls apart...just my personal opinion that you can get a lot of sound out of car equipment if setup the right way..for a far less price.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4787
This is more a DIY discussion, you should have posted, or even move this over to, in the DIY sub/speaker forum. There are quite a few builds there using various drivers, some automotive (like the Infinity 1260/1262 threads). I don't know if I'd want to hassle with buying a car head unit and providing the 12V power. Certainly not a battery and charger setup. Altho I agree, smoke 'em if you got 'em! I just built a sub using an 18" Stereo Integrity, the HT18D2, think that's more a car sub being a 2ohm DVC. Already had a suitable amp that uses regular AC. YMMV.

http://stereointegrity.com/product/ht18-18-subwoofer/

Last edited by lovinthehd; 02-11-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

This all actually started with just using what I had on hand...I was charging my optima battery in my room cuz it was the middle of winter so it was inside in the warmth...had a couple amps laying aroud along with a pair of old school Vega Vega 12s that I rescued from my friends car he was selling. I was bored so a couple power wires and a rca wire from the sub output on my reciever and I was in business...and impressed with how loud the 12s were...I put them behind my recliner and stuffed the battery and charger behind the knee wall space since it is an upstairs bedroom. Then wired a wall switch to the remote turn on to the amp. You couldn't see one piece of equipment but you sure could hear it. As far as the CD player goes...I needed a CD player with a remote and I had the pioneer on hand which has a remote so...a couple power wires and a rca wire from the set of full range outputs from the player to my reciever and I had what I needed. Cut out a little slot of drywall from the knee all part of the wall and it looked like it belonged there. Spent ZERO dollars cuz this was all stuff that was laying around collecting dust.
Speed Racer likes this.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:42 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 5304 Post(s)
Liked: 4072
Quote:
I was charging my optima battery in my room cuz it was the middle of winter so it was inside in the warmth
Not a good idea, among many other dangers, batteries will "out-gas" hydrogen while charging...make sure you keep a window open...and whatever you do, don't smoke in there!
oneeyeblind and Speed Racer like this.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Really? Well thanks for the advice. Luckily I've switched to a 12volt supply the plugs in the wall.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am waiting on some 12 inch JBL GTO subs right now to replace the junk in my old Synergy Klipsch subs. one amp was blown so I now have a bash 300 watt plate instead mounted outside the box. it as it is in testing blows away the oem version as it came. I have 2 of these and one is working and all stock and it might as well not be on.

when I replace the sub driver I am sure it will be much better.

I looked at home sub drivers and it would cost me 2x as much for a "home sub" as I paid for the car sub. car sub was on sale and I bought 2 so it was actually $60 for the JBL GTO 12.

next step is too seal the box and see it it works better. I have a "carpeted ported box" that nobody wants to see if I need bigger than the klipsch box. I dont mind the carpet. its my music room not my HT
Old 02-15-2015, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
In my opinion.... car audio equipment is much cheaper and way more abundant than home powered subwoofers.
actually, it's not. there are likely 120 car amps in my shop, and unless you are talking about cheap junk, they are almost all more expensive than what i have in my home audio amps. you have to include the cost of a power supply when using a car amp... and you dont even want to know what it cost to build my 180 amp power supply on the work bench.

car sub boxes always seem to go louder... that is because they are tuned higher. i fix car amps for a lot of the SPL competitors, and in competition, they have the subsonic set above 30Hz, and the low pass set below 60Hz. that way the power available goes to the frequencies that produce the highest meter readings. they also build and tune their boxes to work best in those frequencies.

what is missing when a car box is in the home, is the super low frequencies. back about 20 or so years ago, that is what i realized when i stopped using a car box in the home, and built a box to the room that it was in. yeah, the car box was louder, but not nearly as sweet sounding... did not know what i was missing till then.

sure, your box in your room may be better than a cheap small home sub in a large room... but a proper home sub in a matched size room will always be better. besides, you can just plug it into the wall... no power supply needed.

meanwhile, picture of what is on my bench right now being fixed... for reference, it is 10.5 inches wide, and 3.5 feet long:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: VFL.jpg
Views: 678
Size: 331.2 KB
ID: 547457
Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post
actually, it's not. there are likely 120 car amps in my shop, and unless you are talking about cheap junk, they are almost all more expensive than what i have in my home audio amps. you have to include the cost of a power supply when using a car amp... and you dont even want to know what it cost to build my 180 amp power supply on the work bench.

car sub boxes always seem to go louder... that is because they are tuned higher. i fix car amps for a lot of the SPL competitors, and in competition, they have the subsonic set above 30Hz, and the low pass set below 60Hz. that way the power available goes to the frequencies that produce the highest meter readings. they also build and tune their boxes to work best in those frequencies.

what is missing when a car box is in the home, is the super low frequencies. back about 20 or so years ago, that is what i realized when i stopped using a car box in the home, and built a box to the room that it was in. yeah, the car box was louder, but not nearly as sweet sounding... did not know what i was missing till then.

sure, your box in your room may be better than a cheap small home sub in a large room... but a proper home sub in a matched size room will always be better. besides, you can just plug it into the wall... no power supply needed.

meanwhile, picture of what is on my bench right now being fixed... for reference, it is 10.5 inches wide, and 3.5 feet long:
+1. When i was younger i thought about the same thing. Power supplies get expensive fast.

A power supply that would do any good would cost considerably more then the Pro amps that most use in DIY. Keep in mind thats just for the power supply.

On the surface it sounds like a great idea but as others have stated once you dig a little deeper you'll find out the real cost to put the system in your room.

Dr.H
Old 02-15-2015, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:

Colossus or Zeus (old school)?
Old 02-15-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Colossus or Zeus (old school)?
nah. although i did have a XX-Maximus here 2 days ago. it's an American Bass VFL1100.1 18 volt. it did 14,778 watts RMS at .7 ohm, and is part of a $30k+ system with 5 of these.

but, all of these big amps, Hifonics, Digital Designs, American Bass, Sundown, Audioque, SoundCube, etc, etc, all come from the same Korean factory... and all are really crappy amps... but make a lot of power. when one transistor goes, it takes out every single transistor in the amp out. i would never design an amp like that.

it's about the stupidest hobby i have ever seen, and i tell them all so. do a 30 second run getting near 180 dB, and then pay me around $300 per VFL1100 to make them work again. i'd say i do about 30-40 amps a month from the SPL competitors from all over.

this particular guy won the event. he won $250 and a plastic trophy... hah ha !

the thing about their hobby, is their systems sound like crap. major spike from 35Hz to 60Hz, and thats about all you hear. ( i am 50+ feet away ) but even at low levels sitting in the vehicle, it sounds horrible.

while i have had more money in past systems, they were for sound quality, and only for my personal enjoyment. thats the only thing important to me, and i could care less about impressing other people.

now days, after working on other peoples stuff all day, my personal systems consist of half decent stuff bought broken for next to nothing, fixed up and made to sound as good as it can. it's rare i have more than $500 into a system anymore. ( like $3k cost if it was bought brand new ) but after a long day, there are times when i dont even turn the thing on for the drive home.

Last edited by daveds50; 02-15-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Not a good idea, among many other dangers, batteries will "out-gas" hydrogen while charging...make sure you keep a window open...and whatever you do, don't smoke in there!
I would never use a charger and battery in my home. On the railroad, we used battery back up. At first we used chargers and battery's from the local auto parts stores. I walked into one of our huts one day and became very ill from the fumes. The battery was over charging. Stomach hurt like crazy. You also risk explosions.

After that, we only bought military grade battery's and chargers. Very expensive, but they worked very well and were a lot safer.

(LG OLED65B7P) (Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Comcast X1) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Old 02-16-2015, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
it's an American Bass VFL1100.1 18 volt. it did 14,778 watts RMS at .7 ohm, and is part of a $30k+ system with 5 of these.

Only 14,778 watts? Pathetic! I guess you would need 5 of those!

Eons ago, we would compete in the sound quality comps (and win) and then pull over to the SPL comp (and win that too). These were actual daily driven cars. That was before they built cars/trucks into tanks with lexan windows and one bass note wonders just to max an SPL meter reading.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Eons ago, we would compete in the sound quality comps (and win) and then pull over to the SPL comp (and win that too). These were actual daily driven cars. That was before they built cars/trucks into tanks with lexan windows and one bass note wonders just to max an SPL meter reading.

yup, back in 1988-1989 i was competing with Linear Power amps. life was so simple back then. back in the mid-late 1970's, i was the only person i knew of that had a subwoofer in a car. a 12 inch home woofer, with a passive low pass coil, running off one channel of a Jensen power booster... probably 30 watts... with 8-Track Tapes ! yeah... the pinnacle of modern technology !

even some sound quality competitions these days are silly. a flat curve on a spectrum analyzer and neat wiring can get you a win... never mind that the system sounds horrible with no sound stage when you sit in it, the instruments say that you win.

but i only have what i have for one reason now... because factory stereos are unacceptable to me. i go to competitions to see how customers are doing, but i have no desire to participate.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I'd be really curious what kind of 12v power supply @rptvtomi52 is using that is cheap enough to make using a car amplifier more affordable than a similarly equipped (or even more equipped) pro amp. There is plenty of power available on a standard 120v 15amp line, but not so much so on a typical 12v DC system. To turn that 120v 15amp into lots of (180amp+) 12v requires a pricy power supply, and then because the car amplifier has to work in 12v world, its own power supply is probably more expensive than that of a similarly powerful pro amplifier. So, IMO, using car amplifiers in a home is really pointless and less cost effective.

For my own experience -- I used to run a Zapco C2K 9.0 in my SQ car back in the day. Occasionally (ok more often than not), I'd like to really crank the bass. However, I couldn't source enough amperage with the stock alternator. Once, I had the car so starved that the ignition was misfiring. I had to upgrade my alternator to rectify this (went to a 180amp Ohio Generator). Here is a 180 amp AC->12vDC power supply, it's $500. One can purchase this 2kw pro amplifier for half that.

So, as other have said, tell me again how it is more effective to use car amplifiers in the home environment. If it were, tons of us would be doing it.

As for subs, that's a completely different story. Provided the sub has t/s parameters that make it amenable to a larger (more efficient) HT box size, it'd be perfectly acceptable to use in that environment.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

This is no competition or high end by far....just a small setup. Friend lent me the 12volt supply and the amp was rescued from the trash basicly. Hooked up to two 12s in a ported box that again was free from a friend that just grew out of the hobby. The amount of bass that it provides is exemplary for spending 0 dollars. And when I did have the charger and battery....I never smelled anything or overcharged a battery. The optima that I started with went into every vehicle I owned...like at least five different cars and never had a problem with it. Used the battery and charger in my room for at least seven years with no problems. If I had thousands of dollars to spend on the hobby...by all means I would...but I don't so I make good use of what is cheaply available and basicly hand me downs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name: IMG_20150221_112800_151_1424536350068.jpg
Views: 231
Size: 87.9 KB
ID: 558833
Old 02-21-2015, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

This actually was in my bedroom for a little while before I put it in the truck....and had a Memphis prd1000.1D on the subs...which was only pushing 600 watts due to the single 4ohm coils. This I did spend a little money on...not much though couple hundred bucks at most. Took that pic about 8 years ago and still have and use the setup after being in numerous vehicles and the bedroom lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name: 01-23-06_1603_1424537279627.jpg
Views: 309
Size: 32.3 KB
ID: 558849
Old 02-21-2015, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

And the 15s slammed WAY harder than any 'home safe audio' setup that 200 bucks would get you. I could be wrong tho....I don't have as much knowledge on the market of home audio...so this is just my opinion and this stuff has always worked just as well for me either in the car or bedroom for years.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I guess you got rid of the battery and now are using a 12 V supply. It must have a lot of amperage to power your system.

I'll say it again, charging a battery in your home is not a safe way to do things.

(LG OLED65B7P) (Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Comcast X1) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement