Forum Jump:
12Likes
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2015, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

greaser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
New Kid On The Block..HDMI>composite converter

Just saw this HDMI>composite video/audio converter for sale on Amazon.It's new,never heard of it before...cheap too @$29.99.Made for the Roku streaming stick,but might work for DVD players/cable/sat too??.One person in another forum claims to have bought one (even tho' Amazon says it won't be in stock til 6/20),and claims it has "good PQ",and w/o HDCP issues either.
Maybe worth a try for somebody looking for an HDMI>composite converter other than the same old crappy converters we've all seen and cried about before.

http://amazon.com/HDMI-Converter.../dp/B00Z827E86

Last edited by greaser; 06-14-2015 at 01:53 PM.
greaser is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015, 03:26 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

jjeff's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,146
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Guess it might be worth trying, although I've been down that road so many times before I have very little hope it will actually produce a "decent" picture....My "guess" is they won't have compensated for the fact that HDMI has a 0 IRE black level while composite is +7.5 in N. America resulting in a light washed out picture if they don't take this into account.....that or the resolution may be much poorer than composite already is.....of course there is a chance that they may have got it right......but the pessimist in me says not....
I guess for the price it's hard to go wrong and since Amazon itself is selling it, shipping is free and return shipping may also be free if one is disappointed in it.....not positive about the last part, if it's defective I know return shipping is free, just not sure how it goes if one doesn't really like it.....
Note it doesn't really come with a power supply but I'd guess a USB phone charger(with a USB female on it) or even a computer with USB may be enough to power it, with the included power cable. If it draws <500ma most anything should be able to power it, more than that and it may need a more heavy duty USB power supply.
Note I'm seeing its listed as "first available from Amazon on June 8th 2015" so maybe that changed when Greaser first saw it......
I've placed one in my wishlist and I'll think about it. Note you have to spend at least $35 to get the free shipping(unless your a Prime customer) so you'd need to add something that Amazon sells for at least $5.01 to get that free shipping. I'll have to think about it, I'd hate to have yet another POS sitting on my shelf
jjeff is offline
Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

greaser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm waiting for somebody with a Roku to buy one of these converters and post their opinion of its PQ in the Roku forum.There's still plenty of people who own older SD CRT tv's who've been posting questions in the Roku forum about how to hook up the Roku they bought to their older CRT tv.
It would be nice if for once...one of these HDMI>composite converters would actually work the way a converter should work.
greaser is offline

Old 07-03-2015, 12:36 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

jjeff's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,146
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Well I received my HDMI to Composite converter from Amazon($30 shipped) and put it through it's paces today. Overall I'm very impressed. The black level is very good, if not a tad dark(just a tad) but I much prefer this to other such converters and filters I've tried that really wash out the picture(due to I believe incorrect IRE) but this converter must have taken that into account. My only beef is a "somewhat noticeable" drop in resolution. I say somewhat because on my 52" HDTV I notice it's not as sharp as a native composite source but it's not bad and if one wasn't really looking for it, you may not notice, you'd probably never notice it on a SD CRT. Note I really prefer S-video which should give an even better picture than composite but I'm comparing the composite output of this converter(it doesn't have S-video) to native composite, not S-video.
Overall I'd give it a 8 and for the very low price it could be a 9, I won't be returning mine.

Note it's really meant for a Roku stick and uses the Roku USB power supply but I used mine from a DVD player with HDMI output so I just used a spare cell phone charger I had lying around(one that had a female USB socket on it) and the included neat power cord. It has a male USB on one end and a Micro USB(new Android cell phone standard) connector and Mini USB(old cell phone connector) on the other. The micro USB connector would go to your Roku stick and the mini USB connector goes to the converter. The converter also includes a rather nice 4' AV cable(yellow and red and white) RCA cables to hook the converter to your TV or DVDR's line input. And yes, it ignores any CP that may be present, I was able to easily record the output to my DVDR even though I was outputting a CP'd DVD. You'll need to provide your own HDMI cable.

Note I found the best setting for my DVD player(source) was 1080i, 1080p was noticeably fuzzier than 1080i and 720p and 480p were the worst, my DVD player didn't have 480i over HDMI or I'd have tried that. Note this may differ if you use a different source, probably best to try all the resolutions you have available and see what works best for you.

The very small converter is kind of nice in that if you don't provide it a signal it outputs color bars and says "no input signal". Once you give it a signal it tells you what resolution it is and tells you it's NTSC. It has a NTSC and PAL switch with PAL being 50hz, I only tested with 60hz or NTSC.

I don't see how you could go wrong for the price, I've tested converters 4x the price that weren't any better, some worse!
billmich, ClearToLand and greaser like this.
jjeff is offline
Old 07-03-2015, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

greaser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
@jjeff ...Nice review,and good to find a cheap converter that actually seems to do what it's supposed to do.Now...can you give your opinion comparing the PQ of Roku stick converter vs.Grex??
IOW...which one has the clearer,sharper pic.
Am thinking about buying the "stick"converter to take some of the workload off of my HDfury+Atlona converters....IF the "stick" converter's pic.is not as soft as the Grex,which i find to be a little too soft for my liking.

Last edited by greaser; 07-03-2015 at 05:47 PM.
greaser is offline
Old 07-03-2015, 07:53 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

jjeff's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,146
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
@jjeff ...Nice review,and good to find a cheap converter that actually seems to do what it's supposed to do.Now...can you give your opinion comparing the PQ of Roku stick converter vs.Grex??
IOW...which one has the clearer,sharper pic.
Am thinking about buying the "stick"converter to take some of the workload off of my HDfury+Atlona converters....IF the "stick" converter's pic.is not as soft as the Grex,which i find to be a little too soft for my liking.
Note as you probably know the Grex and this converter do totally different things. The Grex is just put inline with the video out of a device to remove CP while this device converts HDMI to composite(and in the process forgets to pass any CP that may be present) and while the Grex isn't as sharp as my Sima Go DVD, it's not much worse. Unfortunately I'd say this device is even slightly less sharp than the Grex. Now it may have to do with me getting used to S-video and it's slightly better resolution and contrast(I only use the S-video on my Grex and Sima) but to answer you question(if your using S-video on your Grex) is you won't see an improvement in resolution using this device as compared to your Grex, which BTW costs probably 3x what this little device sells for.

Last edited by jjeff; 07-03-2015 at 07:59 PM.
jjeff is offline
Old 07-05-2015, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

greaser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
@jjeff ...yea i know they're diff.types of converter's...i own a Grex and a Sima CT-2.My only concern was with the quality of the PQ at the output...but if the stick converter's PQ isn't as good,or preferably better than the Grex,then i'll pass on it.
I do use the Grex for some recordings,but for other recordings i like to use the HDfury+Atlona combo for the superior (almost HD quality) PQ they give me.
I never use the Sima CT-2 anymore...its PQ is in the dirt IMO.I'd sell it to somebody that might like to have it...maybe on ebay...but i just can't bring myself to part with it,even if its PQ isn't the greatest.
The only converter that was sooo bad that i actually threw it in the dumpster was the Lenkeng Component>composite/s-video converter....do you remember those??

Last edited by greaser; 07-05-2015 at 11:23 AM.
greaser is offline
Old 07-05-2015, 09:20 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

jjeff's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,146
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Yes I don't think you'll get better than your HDFury setup, and for the most part I'm quite happy with one of my 3 Sima's(the other two are light and lighter) with the Grex being slightly less qaulity than my best Sima but better than the other two, oh and probably this HDMI converter being between the Grex and lighter Simas. The HDMI converter doesn't have the black level issue of the two light Simas but it is a bit softer, as in less resolution.
jjeff is offline
Old 07-05-2015, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

greaser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes I don't think you'll get better than your HDFury setup, and for the most part I'm quite happy with one of my 3 Sima's(the other two are light and lighter) with the Grex being slightly less qaulity than my best Sima but better than the other two, oh and probably this HDMI converter being between the Grex and lighter Simas. The HDMI converter doesn't have the black level issue of the two light Simas but it is a bit softer, as in less resolution.
The biggest problem with the Grex (for me) is the slight fuzziness around people/objects it introduces into the pic.If it weren't for the fuzziness,i think the Grex would be just about perfect to my eyes.I don't notice a black level issue with the Grex...maybe it's there but i just don't notice it.
OTOH the softness of the Grex pic.can *sometimes* be a good thing,introducing what to my eyes is a warm soft glow to older movies,especially movies from the 1930's....maybe it's just me...but i like the effect.

Last edited by greaser; 07-05-2015 at 10:08 AM.
greaser is offline
Old 07-06-2015, 01:50 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Church AV Guy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,738
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I got one of the new HDMI to Composite converters from Amazon a few days ago and finally got a chance to try it out. I have two or three other HDMI to video converters. I would rate them all workable, but mediocre. This one is definitely the least expensive and is certainly no worse than the others I have. It is also by far, the smallest. I was using the HDMI output of my laptop, converting it to video for recording. Like jjeff said in his review, has color bars and tells you the type of video signal it is receiving. The odd thing I found is... it continued to work even after I disconnected the power cable. I thought THAT was interesting. I am not returning mine either.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline
Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Member

keel's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mystic, CT
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need to convert HDMI>Composite AND Letterbox

I need to both convert a Roku 3 from the HDMI out to a composite signal AND simultaneously letterbox it from 16:9 to 4:3.
Can any of these products to that? Appreciate any advice.

Frank Fulchiero
keel is offline
Old 07-15-2015, 01:12 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

jjeff's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,146
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Boxes like these simply convert HDMI to composite, they don't change the aspect ratio or letterbox anything. What goes in comes out, with the exception of it being 480i no matter what it's fed.
Is it possible your Roku has a option for letterboxed HDMI output? If so that would be your best bet. I know a product sold by a member on online-shashki called the Video Filter has a option to change the aspect like you want but it doesn't have HDMI input, it only has composite/S-video in and composite/S-video out and it's used to remove any CP so you can record it's output.
jjeff is offline
Old 07-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Member

keel's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mystic, CT
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Boxes like these simply convert HDMI to composite, they don't change the aspect ratio or letterbox anything. What goes in comes out, with the exception of it being 480i no matter what it's fed.
Is it possible your Roku has a option for letterboxed HDMI output? If so that would be your best bet.
Thanks for the feedback. There are high-end boxes made by Black Magic, Miranda, AJA, and Decimator that can convert and letterbox, but they are multiple hundreds of dollars, was looking for a possibly less expensive solution. On the Roku 3 forum they say it does not letterbox. The Roku 1 does, but our new one is not powerful enough to decode live streams, so have to go to a 2 or 3, with only HDMI outs. We don't need to disable HDCP, we are replaying free-to-air stations. We have to feed a 480i 4x3 composite playback system.

Frank Fulchiero
keel is offline
Old 07-17-2015, 01:35 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Church AV Guy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,738
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I got a chance to directly compare the Amazon Roku HDMI to composite converter with one I got a while back from Monoprice. There are a few differences, but they are very minor. Given the price, and the performance, I highly recommend this device. It comes with a nice composite cable.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline
Old 07-17-2015, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

greaser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I got a chance to directly compare the Amazon Roku HDMI to composite converter with one I got a while back from Monoprice. There are a few differences, but they are very minor. Given the price, and the performance, I highly recommend this device. It comes with a nice composite cable.
How 'bout a few screenshots from the Stick converter Church AV Guy??...maybe have a tv calibration disc??...or one of those THX Optimizers that come with some better quality DVD's??...maybe a coupla scenes from a movie...some bright/dark scenes to see how the converter handles them.
The converters of this type i've checked out or seen screenshots of,always show bright scenes(day scenes or brightly lit scenes) looking murky like mud...or worse...colors look washed out and dull,blacks look dark gray while whites look light gray,and dark/night scenes pretty much fade to black...almost nothing can be seen.
I'd Love to see what the PQ is like from Stick converter...hopefully it's (a lot) better than what i've seen so far from this type of converter.

If you have the time,energy....and inclination,it would be nice to see some screenshots.

Last edited by greaser; 07-17-2015 at 05:21 PM.
greaser is offline
Old 07-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Member

graffron's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Church AV Guy, Which converter did you purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I got one of the new HDMI to Composite converters from Amazon a few days ago and finally got a chance to try it out. I have two or three other HDMI to video converters. I would rate them all workable, but mediocre. This one is definitely the least expensive and is certainly no worse than the others I have. It is also by far, the smallest.

Church AV Guy, Which converter did you purchase? I can't figure it out from your post.

Thanks
graffron is offline
Old 07-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Member

graffron's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Info about the HDfury+Atlona combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
@jjeff ...yea i know they're diff.types of converter's...i own a Grex and a Sima CT-2.My only concern was with the quality of the PQ at the output...but if the stick converter's PQ isn't as good,or preferably better than the Grex,then i'll pass on it.
I do use the Grex for some recordings,but for other recordings i like to use the HDfury+Atlona combo for the superior (almost HD quality) PQ they give me.
I never use the Sima CT-2 anymore...its PQ is in the dirt IMO.I'd sell it to somebody that might like to have it...maybe on ebay...but i just can't bring myself to part with it,even if its PQ isn't the greatest.
The only converter that was sooo bad that i actually threw it in the dumpster was the Lenkeng Component>composite/s-video converter....do you remember those??
Greaser, I am interested in getting an HDMI to S-video converter that has good quality. Can you tell me which models of the HDfury and Atlona you use?
Thanks
graffron is offline
Old 07-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Member

graffron's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mini Composite AV CVBS 3RCA to HDMI Video Converter Adapter 720p 1080p Upscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Well I received my HDMI to Composite converter from Amazon($30 shipped) and put it through it's paces today. Overall I'm very impressed. The black level is very good, if not a tad dark(just a tad)
jjeff, The link in your post takes me to an eBay site that has the "Mini Composite AV CVBS 3RCA to HDMI Video Converter Adapter 720p 1080p Upscale" on sale for $18.85. Do your comments apply to this Mini converter or to the HDMI Converter for Roku Streaming Stick: referenced in greaser's link posted on 06-14-2015, 12:43 PM?

Thanks
Ron
graffron is offline
Old 07-20-2015, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

greaser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffron View Post
Greaser, I am interested in getting an HDMI to S-video converter that has good quality. Can you tell me which models of the HDfury and Atlona you use?
Thanks
graffon i don't own an HDMI>s video converter yet,but just the other day after another member PM'd me with his opinion of the "STICK" converters PQ on his 55"screen,i decided to give it a go and ordered one from Amazon...the guys opinion really piqued my interest.

The other two converters you mentioned are Expensive...i paid $391.00 for both new in the box,but that was in 2010.I also got real lucky on the price of the Atlona converter @ $212.00 incl.shipping...an unusually low price,even in 2010.But it still works perfectly today

The HDFury is a HDMI>Component converter,there are 4 models.
I own a HDFury2...cuz it was the cheapest of the bunch @$179.00+free shipping from Taiwan...the Co.moved to China a coupla yrs.ago.
Very few people are willing to shell out the kind of bucks it takes to buy this converter...but if you want the best PQ possible then the HDFury is what you're looking for...it is...w/o dispute,The best converter of its type in the world.After owning it for 5 yrs.i think i can add Longevity to the list of its many attributes.
You can check out their website here http://hdfury.com/

The Atlona is a Component>composite/s video converter...AFAIK the model i have (AT COMP 500) is no longer in production but can still be found 'used' on ebay.It is Not cheap.But it's a darn good converter.Great PQ...but then i'm usually feeding it a 1080p signal from the HDFury

Hope this helps.
greaser is offline
Old 07-20-2015, 11:23 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Church AV Guy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,738
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffron View Post
Church AV Guy, Which converter did you purchase? I can't figure it out from your post.

Thanks

The initial one I purchased (for comparison) was from Monoprice, and is no longer carried by them. It looks suspiciously like this one...


http://amazon.com/Tmvel-PETHCSP-...site+converter


The Monoprice one is the one I have been using for years, and is the one I was comparing the "new kid on the block" to. The one I recently purchased and have been using the last two weeks that I have actually come to prefer to my Monoprice one, the "new kid on the block" is this one from Amazon.com:


http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00


for $30. It looks suspiciously like this one:


http://amazon.com/Portta-100HC-C...ZSJ7W96H4RBMVT


for $13. Searching Amazon.com for HDMI to composite converters brings up pages of stuff, but most are the opposite, component to HDMI converters.


The Monoprice converter has a tendency to make the blacks look just a tad greenish. The Roku one makes the blacks black without the greenish tinge. The whites are white, and the colors don't look washed out. The only real complaint is the softness of the picture, but what do you expect from a $30 converter? You want really good conversion, spend $300-$500 on a converter and brag about it. For $30, this is a good deal. The wife and I watched over seven hours of converted programming from the Roku converter and had no complaints.


As always, your mileage may vary. Maybe my standards are not too high.


Oh, I am using the converter to get content from the internet, downloaded to my computer, which has an HDMI port, then through the converter and finally to a Panasonic DVD recorder. After that Rube-Goldberg device path, the content is surprisingly good. As usual, I find the most significant thing in the chain for producing the best results is to have a good initial source signal.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline
Old 07-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

jobedo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cumming Iowa
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Fire Stick

I can confirm that i can use this with my Amazon Fire Stick. The included cable plugs into it and the Fire Stick and then into the Fire Stick USB to electric
plug
Joe
jobedo is offline
Old 07-25-2015, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

greaser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Did some Testing on the new Roku Stick converter today.
Connected it to my Sony BDP S5500 w/BD movie inserted,then to a Mag.533(RCA RWY),and used a wall wart w/USB output to power the converter.Video resolution initially set to 1080P,but for some reason the BDP only allowed 720p to be output over HDMI to the converter,every other resolution i tried defaulted to 720p.The overall pic was barely passable,not nearly as good as i had hoped for,was substantially degraded and did not produce a picture i would enjoy watching.But colors were bright,not washed out or dull and lifeless looking as has Always been the case with this type of converter that i've ever tried or seen screenshots of.Blacks are black,w/o any tinges of green or purple,and dark scenes seemed to be about right...not tooo dark as is usually the case,and white IS white,not some miserable shade of gray.
Having said all that,i think the overall PQ was no better than average VHS quality,and i wouldn't bother to record/watch anything from a BDP using this converter.

I then connected the converter to my Roku 2XS set to 1080p and streamed some 1080p content from an online service provider.The PQ was Very Good.Much better than the PQ from the Sony BDP.Colors were bright,even vibrant.Blacks/whites were spot on,bright/dark scenes appeared normal.Another thing i liked is that the pic.isn't as soft or blurry as i was expecting.Not bad at all.
I then set the Roku to 720p and 480i.I couldn't really see any diff.between 1080p/720p.
Setting the Roku to 4x3(480i) produced a postage stamped AR,but setting the Roku to 16x9 widescreen(480i) produced a normal 16X9 AR.Again the pic.produced @480i was very good,just not quite as good as 720p/1080p,but the diff.was only minor to my eyes.Just a tad too blurry for my liking.

My overall impression at this point is that this is the best converter of its type that i've ever tried myself,or seen screenshots of,and i'm glad to have stumbled upon it on Amazon.Definitely a keeper,and @30 bucks a pop you can't go wrong.
Works better with a Roku than a BDP.Don't have cable/sat to try it on,and haven't tried it with a DVD player or any SD source yet.
I never thought i'd ever be able to give a positive review to this type of converter,but somebody finally made a good one...Amazing.

Last edited by greaser; 07-25-2015 at 05:51 PM.
greaser is offline
Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Church AV Guy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,738
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Just saw this HDMI>composite video/audio converter for sale on Amazon.It's new,never heard of it before...cheap too @$29.99.Made for the Roku streaming stick,but might work for DVD players/cable/sat too??.One person in another forum claims to have bought one (even tho' Amazon says it won't be in stock til 6/20),and claims it has "good PQ",and w/o HDCP issues either.
Maybe worth a try for somebody looking for an HDMI>composite converter other than the same old crappy converters we've all seen and cried about before.

http://amazon.com/HDMI-Converter.../dp/B00Z827E86

I have been using this off and on for some time now and I thought I'd follow up. This is the best converter I have for HDMI to composite. For the price, it is BY FAR the best converter I have. It still is here at amazon:


http://amazon.com/HDMI-Converter.../dp/B00Z827E86


and maybe other places for even less money, but I have had really good results with mine.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline
Old 09-10-2015, 02:04 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

billmich's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I have been using this off and on for some time now and I thought I'd follow up. This is the best converter I have for HDMI to composite. For the price, it is BY FAR the best converter I have. It still is here at amazon:


http://amazon.com/HDMI-Converter.../dp/B00Z827E86


and maybe other places for even less money, but I have had really good results with mine.
No S-video support?

Does it even matter anymore between S-Video and composite?
billmich is offline
Old 09-10-2015, 04:34 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

jjeff's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,146
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
No S-video support?

Does it even matter anymore between S-Video and composite?
I would prefer S-video but we get what we can get. IMO basically all of the converters and things I've tried with S-video out in the last 5?? years have the same quality S-video as composite. S-video does have the potential for better quality but for whatever reason it really doesn't in these type of converters.
That said the composite quality of this particular converter is quite good and almost more importantly the black level is good.
jjeff is offline
Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Church AV Guy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,738
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
No S-video support?

Does it even matter anymore between S-Video and composite?

Given that the overall quality of the composite signal is completely dependent on the conversion process, any possible quality enhancement afforded by S-Video would be negligible. I have converters that were four times as expensive and have S-Video support, but they don't look anything near as good as this device.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline
Old 09-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Member

Schmye Bubbula's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What do users of current-model Roku 2 & Roku 3 — with only an HDMI connector — do about the absence of Display Type "4:3 Standard" in the settings? When played through the converter under review in this thread (Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite) on an old SD TV, it fills the screen horizontally, but with the left & right sides of the picture cropped-out, and distorts vertically by stretching the picture to fill the screen to the top & bottom.
Schmye Bubbula is offline
Old 09-17-2015, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

greaser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmye Bubbula View Post
What do users of current-model Roku 2 & Roku 3 — with only an HDMI connector — do about the absence of Display Type "4:3 Standard" in the settings? When played through the converter under review in this thread (Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite) on an old SD TV, it fills the screen horizontally, but with the left & right sides of the picture cropped-out, and distorts vertically by stretching the picture to fill the screen to the top & bottom.
Not sure there is a solution to your problem.The Roku Stick Converter,like all other converters i've ever seen or heard of output the AR that is input.No converter of any type that i've ever seen have AR control.Selecting the AR is a feature most if not all HDTV's have but 4x3 tv's lack.

If you have an AVR w/composite A/V in/out AND has the ability to change AR's (my Denon 2310CI has this ability)you could try running the composite A/V signal thru it,then to your tv.That may work.
Another thing you could try,tho' i don't know if it will work (never tried it) would be to run the signal to a DVDR with the DVDR's AR set to 4x3 Pan & Scan instead of the usual 16:9 wide setting (which most DVDR owners probably have it set to),then out to the tv.

Maybe somebody else will chime in with other possible solutions if there are any.

Here's another version of the Roku Stick converter w/ RYW RCA output.
http://amazon.com/HDMI-Converter.../dp/B00Z827E86

,

Last edited by greaser; 09-17-2015 at 11:13 AM.
greaser is offline
Old 09-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Member

Schmye Bubbula's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^ The only other device I have with an aspect ratio display setting is my TiVo Roamio DVR, but it doesn't have an auxiliary input, and besides, that would be starting to get awfully convoluted.

Since 4:3 TVs lack a display setting, then controlling the aspect ratio can be just as well a function of the display setting in the input device to the converter, too, no? (that is, the Roku)

Does the HDMI-only-connector Roku stick include Display Type "4:3 Standard" in its settings? (All that the current models of Roku 2 & 3 have is "HDTV 720p" and "HDTV 1080p.") If not, then how do you users of the Roku stick through a converter not find the cropped & distorted picture on an old TV utterly unwatchable? Or am I missing something?
Schmye Bubbula is offline
Old 09-17-2015, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

greaser's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmye Bubbula View Post
^ The only other device I have with an aspect ratio display setting is my TiVo Roamio DVR, but it doesn't have an auxiliary input, and besides, that would be starting to get awfully convoluted.

Since 4:3 TVs lack a display setting, then controlling the aspect ratio can be just as well a function of the display setting in the input device to the converter, too, no? (that is, the Roku)

Does the HDMI-only-connector Roku stick include Display Type "4:3 Standard" in its settings? (All that the current models of Roku 2 & 3 have is "HDTV 720p" and "HDTV 1080p.") If not, then how do you users of the Roku stick through a converter not find the cropped & distorted picture on an old TV utterly unwatchable? Or am I missing something?
Don't own a Roku Stick.Don't know how the Stick handles diff AR's.
Yes,any device your converter is connected to that has the ability to change AR's can be used to get the correct AR.

PS:In case anybody's interested,here's a different version of the Roku Stick converter.It's the same as the original but comes with its own power adapter and costs the same price.http://amazon.com/HDMI-3RCA-Comp...roku+converter

Last edited by greaser; 09-17-2015 at 11:43 AM.
greaser is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement


Thread Tools


Forum Jump:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off