Forum Jump:
Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm looking for a VHS to DVD recorder. I had a Samsung for years but it recently died. Not looking to spend too much money. Maybe $100-150ish. I don't need something too spectacular, just something that will copy my home videos to DVD. If it has a decent way to edit before finalizing, that's great, but if not, just a basic copy to DVD will do.

I don't need one with a tuner. Don't necessarily need one with upconvert, but any suggestions/advice on this aspect would be helpful.

Anyone have suggestions for a recorder that would suit my needs? Obviously the best for the money I can spend would be great. If there's a model that's slightly over $150ish, please suggest!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 100
There is nothing whatsoever left on the market aside from the Toshiba DVR620, and if you want one you'd better buy it soon because they're fast disappearing. You might also find its near-identical twin from Magnavox at a handful of local stores, but its almost entirely sold out. Both upconvert, IOW they have HDMI connections for flat screen HDTV. You can play with the upconversion settings to see which you prefer, but there isn't much difference (default HDMI works best and is far clearer than using analog connections). Upconversion does not work with VHS, only DVD. Either unit sells for approx $155 on Amazon when they have stock. You can also try WalMart.

Standalone DVD recorders were never popular in North America, so most mfrs gave up five-six years ago. Since late 2008, all we've had to choose from are the Toshiba and Magnavox twins. They are roughly equivalent to your Samsung, but with more reliable DVD drives.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Walmart has a Funai ZV427 VHS/DVD Combo Recorder that is much the same as the Toshiba 620 and Magnavox ZV427. Here it is:

http://walmart.com/ip/Funai-Full-HD-Upconvert-DVD-VCR-Combo/27584753

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)

Old 02-04-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Walmart has a Funai ZV427 VHS/DVD Combo Recorder that is much the same as the Toshiba 620 and Magnavox ZV427. Here it is:

http://walmart.com/ip/Funai-Full-HD-Upconvert-DVD-VCR-Combo/27584753

So it would appear the long-threatened USA invasion of Funai-branded recorders, without the crutch of slapping Toshiba, Philips or Magnavox labels on them, has finally begun. Perhaps now wajo will at last get his cherished wish for a USA-spec version of the Funai BluRay recorder. Funai never gives up, do they? Guess we should update the old cliche: when the world ends, the only survivors will be cockroaches, Cher & some variation of obsolete disc recorder from Funai.

javygirl178, this Funai is identical to the Magnavox version in every respect including appearance. The Toshiba DVR620 is the very same unit in a classier-looking cabinet, available today for $20 less (give or take) from this Amazon link. The price dropped a few dollars in the past few hours, but may inch up again in a day or two. Amazon screws around with multiple price points for the same item that come up as different listings, so shop carefully. WalMart plays the same game: in the space of a month, on any given day, WalMart asking price for any of these recorders will vary from $155 to $198. The lowest they ever go at either site is $153, so if you need one, buy it now while its at the low point.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your response. I am looking into the Toshiba model you mentioned.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response also. I've not heard of the Funai brand. 

Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Funai Full HD Upconvert DVD/VCR Combo:

5 speed VCR for up to 6 hours of VHS recording
2-way dubbing
S-video out
The] Blu-ray]DVD/VCR combo has full upconversion to 1080p Full HD
Progressive scan
Zoom, slow motion and search features BLURAY???????????????? http://walmart.com/ip/Funai-Full-HD-Upconvert-DVD-VCR-Combo/27584753

MickinCT
Old 02-06-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

Funai Full HD Upconvert DVD/VCR Combo:

5 speed VCR for up to 6 hours of VHS recording
2-way dubbing
S-video out
The] Blu-ray]DVD/VCR combo has full upconversion to 1080p Full HD
Progressive scan
Zoom, slow motion and search features BLURAY???????????????? http://walmart.com/ip/Funai-Full-HD-Upconvert-DVD-VCR-Combo/27584753

Perhaps the Walmart listing of "Blu-ray" is an error.

Compare that with Funai's own listing for this product:

http://funaiamerica.com/product/product.php?id=22

Here is an excerpt from the Specifications page:

1080p Up-Conversion
Dolby Digital Stream Out
Progressive Scan Video Out
5-Speed for Up to 6-hours recording
2-Way Dubbing (VCR->DVD, DVD->VCR)
Line-in Recording through Cable/Satellite box
HDMI Output
S-Video Input/Output

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Here is a one page leaflet for the Funai ZV427FX4:

ZV427FX4_EN_LE.pdf 197k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ZV427FX4_EN_LE.pdf (197.0 KB, 229 views)

Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygirl178 View Post

I've not heard of the Funai brand. 

Funai is the actual manufacturer of a lot of electronic home theatre/video devices that get rebranded. My Onkyo blu-ray player is actually a Funai. It's an awesome machine, so no complaints here. They also make things like Lexmark printers.

Most DVD recorders are now made by Funai, even if they say Toshiba, Magnavox, etc. At this point it would be impossible not to have something made by them. They also make things under their own brand, but they aren't as common as opposed to the rebadges. But they do show up. My friend had a Funai branded VCR several years ago.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

My Onkyo blu-ray player is actually a Funai.

I'm sure its a nice BD player, but for those of us old enough to "remember when," that is just plain sad to hear. frown.gif

Once upon a time, before audio gear became nothing more than cheap tarted-up computerized crap, the names Onkyo, Sansui, Pioneer and Marantz really meant something and had a distinct brand identity. Things may be more convenient now, and video took the crown from audio long ago, but the old stuff was way more fun to play with and passionately argue about. The transition from analog toys to digital toys killed off every brand that wasn't an international electronics conglomerate with a finger in everything from TVs to dishwashers. It may have been necessary, and we have toys we never dreamed of thirty years ago, but I hate how these great names became shells of themselves. The most pathetic decline was Nakamichi: the most elite, high-end Japanese brand in the '80s became a car stereo company by the late '90s and now the brand is slapped onto junk sold on QVC. It was as if Rolex dwindled down to just plastic digital watches given as free bonus gifts.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

I'm sure its a nice BD player, but for those of us old enough to "remember when," that is just plain sad to hear. frown.gif
funai is also a manufacturing job shop. They don't necessarily design the name brand. I'm sure Onkyo does their own design and prototyping and hands it off to funai to manufacture -- the same as Apple does with their iPhones and iPads.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

funai is also a manufacturing job shop. They don't necessarily design the name brand. I'm sure Onkyo does their own design and prototyping and hands it off to funai to manufacture -- the same as Apple does with their iPhones and iPads.

The older Onkyo 80x BD players were clones of the Denon 161x BD players, both Funai built, so I think there was some design sharing involved. No idea who actually designed it. I've heard that the newer Denons are Inkel made, while Onkyo stuck with Funai.

The Onkyo BD-SP809 is a very solid and robust blu-ray player. Have yet to have it hiccup on any disc, BD or DVD, even with the same firmware from 2010.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

The Onkyo BD-SP809 is a very solid and robust blu-ray player. Have yet to have it hiccup on any disc, BD or DVD, even with the same firmware from 2010.

You aren't known around online-shashki for praising things indiscriminately, so I'm intrigued by this Onkyo based on your recommendation. I've been vaguely hunting for an older model to play with, perhaps I'll track down one of these BD-SP809s. Its rare to hear of a BD player without significant hiccups, even rarer to hear it from one of the more trusted online-shashki members.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Yeah, it's been a good player, and I got it by recommendation from another member who owned three of them (different model years.) Though for the price it lacks features, which is why it isn't as popular as other models. But the features it lacks (wifi, some of the online apps like Youtube and Hulu) weren't things I was interested in. I had it hardwired, and have a smart TV for the apps it is missing.

I also misremembered when I got it, I got it in 2011. I moved in 2010, and thought that's when I bought it, when I actually bought my Onkyo receiver at that time and got the BD player the following summer. Still, for 2011 firmware, it still plays every blu-ray I've thrown at it without a complaint. I haven't updated the firmware because it would add Cinavia, and I'd rather keep my options open.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement